ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IAS

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Scared&Confused
Newly Registered

IAS

Post by Scared&Confused » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Does anyone know of, or have any experience with, a good IAS representative? I think I'd need one who has Level 2 or 3 OISC. The last time I went, my situation seemed to be over their head, and they had to look in a book a lot. They didn't seem confident or knowledgeable of the situation. I might have been wrong but I it made me feel worried. I know everyone differs but I'm just wondering. I guess it depends on where you are and who you see..

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:43 pm

As I understand it, you aren't able to choose your IAS representative. Level of knowledge and experience within the IAS is mixed...you may be lucky and you may not.

Scared&Confused
Newly Registered

Post by Scared&Confused » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Ah, that's not good, thank you. I wanted to speak to a few people to see who would be best as I want this to be the last time I look for help. I want to make sure I know as much as I can and finally take the next step..

p.s. I've emailed.. thanks again :)

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:13 am

My experience of the IAS would not be allowed on this site.
Useless!

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:06 pm

It does depend on which office and the staffs. My experience with IAS was good even though I didn't use them but I got good advice and I had a meeting with someone who knew what he was talking about.

Just like what Casa said, experience is mixed.
Live and let live

tout-lara
Newly Registered

Post by tout-lara » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:31 pm

I agree, there is a mixed of experience with the IAS. I personally chose not to go with them and hired an OISC registered immigration advisor (who I will not name as they would probably find this post) who completely messed up the application. So I whether this was a wise choice, I'm not sure.

Having said that, the IAS being a charity does give free advice and representation to those who qualify for legal aid. So it is a good alternative for those of us who unfortunately cannot afford to pay for the services of an immigration adviser or solicitor.

P.S: If you intend to ask for free advice/representation, check that you will qualify for it first. Else, they will charge you an hourly fee.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:24 pm

tout-lara wrote:I agree, there is a mixed of experience with the IAS. I personally chose not to go with them and hired an OISC registered immigration advisor (who I will not name as they would probably find this post) who completely messed up the application. So I whether this was a wise choice, I'm not sure.
I'd go for a proper immigration solicitor over an OISC advisor, any day of the week.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

tout-lara
Newly Registered

Post by tout-lara » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:31 am

I'd go for a proper immigration solicitor over an OISC advisor, any day of the week.
I have also used the services of a firm of immigration solicitors and thank god that I had an excellent caseworker who managed to sort things out for me. The firm partners were a different story.

The Law Society/Legal Services Ombudsmen is looking into the matter for me as they weren't registered with the Solicitors REgulation Authority at the time. Some of the partners weren't even qualified solicitors although they said they were. Worst of all they claimed that I haven't paid them although I paid the funds into the bank account using the details which they gave me!

There are cowboys everywhere.

Advice to anyone:
1. Make sure that everything is recorded on paper. Any advice given to you should be followed by a letter confirming the advice.
2. Ensure that all paperwork is issued on the firm's letterhead.
3. Lastly check with the Solicitor's Regulation Authority that the firm of solicitors is registered with them. If going for an OISC reg adviser, check with the OISC that they are registered.