ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bulgarian for BC

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Elenafj
Newly Registered

Bulgarian for BC

Post by Elenafj » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:35 am

Hello there,

I have read through the forum but cant really find something with my case. I am a Bulgarian citizen, lived for 15 years in Greece before I come in 2006 to study in UK. When i came I was considered in university EU student, but needed a student visa for my 1st year of study before Bulgaria enters EU.
I came Sept 2007, in April 2007 I received my residence permit and since there i have been working part time, full time and on self employed basis, hence I have the right to move and work without restrictions.
At the moment I am doing my MSc and wanting to continue into PHD later or maybe work full time.
I wanted to ask from when does my 5 years count so I can obtain a British citizenship in September 2011 I will complete 5 years in the UK. Can I apply then for my citizenship or I have to wait one more year, as I already have my permanent residence card.
I called the HOME OFicce and they told me my time counts from the day I entered on my visa... is that correct ?

Thank you very much for your replies.

John

Post by John » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:05 am

Can I apply then for my citizenship or I have to wait one more year, as I already have my permanent residence card.
I don't understand. As you have been in the UK less than 5 years, how have you got a PR card?

Ignoring that point, your country joined the EU on 01.01.2007 and therefore you will not get to the 5th anniversary of that date until 01.01.2012, and will not be eligible to apply for Naturalisation as British until 01.01.2013 at the earliest.
John