ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

E-Petition To No 10 - TIER 1 Extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

push

Post by push » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:22 pm

thelionking wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:Please don't make multiple posts on the same topic.
the other moderator push has just made a duplicate post on this and the coalition changes page 63 ... ??

pls. close this and lets just copntinue in ONE thread, too confusing otherwise. i was about to reply to push in the pther one again, i just quoted here now on his duplicate post, do i quote there again??
Please read my post carefully, I have apologised in the opening statement itself.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:29 pm

thelionking wrote:
the other moderator push has just made a duplicate post on this and the coalition changes page 63 ... ??

pls. close this and lets just copntinue in ONE thread, too confusing otherwise. i was about to reply to push in the pther one again, i just quoted here now on his duplicate post, do i quote there again??
Unfortunately, you missed noting the starting text of the moderator (push)
push wrote:Apologies, it is a duplicate post:
While you overlook the effort of the moderator to suggest something constructive on the matter, but complain that a moderator has made a duplicate post. Would he (moderator) have required to make a duplicate post if the subject was being discussed under one topic?

regards

thelionking
BANNED

Post by thelionking » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:29 pm

push wrote:
thelionking wrote:

Please read my post carefully, I have apologised in the opening statement itself.
i have read the appology, i am asking for a solution as this clearly is confusing and a problem ... e.g. one guy has replied to you in the other thread and i have here, do i now go and reply there too and he should reply here as well? and its not just you, there is a draft being discussed there and a draft here, and a draft in both threads ... see my point.

and you my friend are a moderator ... just close this (or the other) and link it to the other, so we ALL can discuss in one place ...

ps. i was btw asking sushdmehta to do it, as he/she did exactly that a while back but this thread i see is open again ...

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:34 pm

thelionking wrote:ps. i was btw asking sushdmehta to do it, as he/she did exactly that a while back but this thread i see is open again ...
In all fairness, decided against it in an effort to enable members decide themselves where they wish to discuss the subject (and hence edited my previous message).

regards

thelionking
BANNED

Post by thelionking » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:39 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
thelionking wrote:

Unfortunately, you missed noting the starting text of the moderator (push)
push wrote:Apologies, it is a duplicate post:
While you overlook the effort of the moderator to suggest something constructive on the matter, but complain that a moderator has made a duplicate post. Would he (moderator) have required to make a duplicate post if the subject was being discussed under one topic?

regards
pls. go back up and see that's the first thing i noticed and did reply to that and appreciated his/her comments ... so dont tell me that i didnt read his comment.

i am merely trying to suggest that there oviously is confusiion over two parallel threads, there is one draft there, one here, some there, some here ... moderators should 'moderate' (and close one) rather than going back and forth ...

oh, and just out of curiousity, so if any member says i appoplogize for duplicate and then posts it, that is okay??

MJNair

Post by MJNair » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Are we continuing the discussion on the E Petition here?

push

Post by push » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:45 pm

thelionking wrote:oh, and just out of curiousity, so if any member says i appoplogize for duplicate and then posts it, that is okay??
No it is not, not even if done by the moderators, we all being bound by the terms of this discussion board. An error of judgement I guess, I should have simply provided the link to my posting on the other thread. Anyway, I have advised members that they should be posting messages related to the petition on this thread.
regards,
push

thelionking
BANNED

Post by thelionking » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:05 pm

thanks push, appologies for my duplicate reply to you in the other thread, was just trying to make a point ...

now coming to the petition:

have just spoken to a friend of mine, who is a partner at one of the top ten city law firms (no, they are not drafting it for us for free).

his advise is as follows:

petition vs jr

forget jr and all, any legal option is only 'after' all else fails and that too after something that hurts tier 1 actually comes out. all this right now is mere speculation.

petiton is ok at this stage, to raise awareness. more than the prime minister the right person to raise it to would be theresa may, given she is the one who came out with the policy (or in our case didn't come out with anything).

his biggest emphasis was on focusing on getting the information out, having them announce the policy rather than what it should be.

second, we should in no way be seen agreeing or accepting in advance any changes that may or maynot come or even mention along those lines.

last, he thinks a better idea would be to use media to highlight the possitives ... send a petition to theresa may (and if we want to the PM and opposition as well but not bypass her or for that matter a copy to mr. green as well, being the primary responsible people), then dont wait for their official response but send the copy to media to project that tier 1 holders in uk have sent this petition to ms. may and they are merely asking for more info on their future, and then feed the media with all the schpeel on how not all of us are bad eggs but all are professionals, how we are adding value, how we are abiding by rules and paying taxes and not taking any benefits (no recouse whatsoever to public funds).

and my addition to his advise here is that we also highlight that even those 30% who are working odd jobs or multiple jobs aren't breaking any rules ... and are still paying taxes on even those jobs. if we were told we can do it, is why we are doing it, so thats the flaw in their original ploicy, but since they (or previous govts) didn't clarify it right, then we should not be punished for it. and add a dimension of the recession to it perhaps to make that 1/3rd segment look less evil than so far has been projected.
Last edited by thelionking on Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

push

Post by push » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:14 pm

thelionking wrote:thanks push, appologies for my duplicate reply to you in the other thread, was just trying to make a point ...

have just spoken to a friend of mine, who is a partner at one of the top ten law city law firms (no, they are not drafting it for us for free).

petition vs jr

forget jr and all, any legal option is only 'after' all else fails and that too after something that hurts tier 1 actually comes out. all this right now is mere speculation.

petiton is ok, to raise awareness. more than the prime minister the right person to raise it to would be theresa may, given she is the one who came out with the policy (or in our case didn't come out with anything).

his biggest emphasis was on focusing on getting the information out, having them announce the policy rather than what it should be.

second, we should in no way be seen agreeing or accepting in advance any changes that may or maynot come or even mention along those lines.

last, he thinks a better idea would be to use media to highlight the possitives ... send a petition ttheresa may (and if we want to the pm and opposition as well but not bypass her or for that matter a copy to mr. green as well, being the primary responsible people), then dont wait for their official response but send the copy to media to project that tier 1 holders in uk have sent this petition to ms. may and they are merely asking for more info on their future, and then feed the media with all the schpeel on how not all of us are bad eggs but all are professionals, how we are adding value, how we are abiding by rules and paying taxes and not taking any benefits (no recouse whatsoever to public funds).

and my addition to his advise here is that we also highlight that even those 30% who are working odd jobs or multiple jobs aren't breaking any rules ... and are still paying taxes on even those jobs. if we were told we can do it, is why we are doing it, so thats the flaw in their oroginal ploicy, but since they (or previous govts) didn't clarify it right, then we should not be punished for it. and add a dimension of the recession to it perhaps to make that 1/3rd segment look less evil than so far has been projected.
That's a very well thought out post. Why cant the members here organise themselves in say a team and assign responsibilities for taking care of various aspects of the overall strategy. i.e. those with contacts in media or relevant contacts form a group and take charge of the media management, similarly those with legal bent of mind take the petition process forward and then some with good research capabilities try to churn out numbers which support the claims the affected applicants intend to make. The passions are running high but will be of no use unless channelised methodically.
regards,
push

MICKS

Post by MICKS » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:16 pm

thelionking wrote:thanks push, appologies for my duplicate reply to you in the other thread, was just trying to make a point ...

have just spoken to a friend of mine, who is a partner at one of the top ten city law firms (no, they are not drafting it for us for free).

petition vs jr

somehow I dont feel a need to involve a law firm until a final decision is made by HO.

All we need to do is to convey our thoughts and the message that we are getting our act together. ANY MORE MAY COME ACCROSS AS A THREAT and believe me they wont like it.....they have full mandate of the british public to kick us out.....lets not challenge them...

petiton is ok at this stage, to raise awareness. more than the prime minister the right person to raise it to would be theresa may, given she is the one who came out with the policy (or in our case didn't come out with anything).

last, he thinks a better idea would be to use media to highlight the possitives ... send a petition to theresa may (and if we want to the PM and opposition as well but not bypass her or for that matter a copy to mr. green as well, being the primary responsible people), then dont wait for their official response but send the copy to media to project that tier 1 holders in uk have sent this petition to ms. may and they are merely asking for more info on their future, and then feed the media with all the schpeel on how not all of us are bad eggs but all are professionals, how we are adding value, how we are abiding by rules and paying taxes and not taking any benefits (no recouse whatsoever to public funds).

and my addition to his advise here is that we also highlight that even those 30% who are working odd jobs or multiple jobs aren't breaking any rules ... and are still paying taxes on even those jobs. if we were told we can do it, is why we are doing it, so thats the flaw in their original ploicy, but since they (or previous govts) didn't clarify it right, then we should not be punished for it. and add a dimension of the recession to it perhaps to make that 1/3rd segment look less evil than so far has been projected.

thelionking
BANNED

Post by thelionking » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:46 pm

MICKS wrote:
somehow I dont feel a need to involve a law firm until a final decision is made by HO.

All we need to do is to convey our thoughts and the message that we are getting our act together. ANY MORE MAY COME ACCROSS AS A THREAT and believe me they wont like it.....they have full mandate of the british public to kick us out.....lets not challenge them...
DUH ... who said anything about involding a law firm? or for that matter threatening ... that's exactly what i had said. pls. read others comments carefully before commenting.

also, pls. comment at the end, when you quote as otherwise your written bit gets all mixed up in between the original remarks you are quoting.

MICKS

Post by MICKS » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:18 pm

Instead of infighting can we please agree on the next steps....as time is of the essence...

thelionking
BANNED

Post by thelionking » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:25 pm

MICKS wrote:Instead of infighting can we please agree on the next steps....as time is of the essence...
nobody is fighting dude, i just pointed out that you have not read (or understood) what i wrote, so kindly go back to my comments and comment from there onwards ...

anyone else has any ideas or comments? i guess on weekend all are out and when everyone is at work, that's when they spend time on the forum :)

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Before anything else, please do not argue and try to byte on each other's asses on their faults and mistakes. Please do not clog this topic with useless replies. Please !!!

Okay lads. I think we have had a very good review from all senior personnel in this forum. I think "thelionking" and MICKS seems to be very good at drafting and wording in appropriate manner. I knew I was not going to be so good at it but needed to light the fire to start with. I am glad we all are taking this forward a step after another. Let's keep this rolling.

I have created a Facebook Page (SAVE TIER 1) I appreciate it isn't very appropriate name but Facebook will only allow certain type of names. So if anyone finds any better name, feel free to suggest.

Please invite all your friends to join ourFACEBOOK PAGE

Again, I would need volunteer. If you are interested than let me know, and I will add you as Administrator to make any changes.

"thelionking" & MICKS, are you guys okay to work together on drafting the petition? I would say it shall go live by 30/11/2010.

Being weekend, this is the best time for most of us to work on this.

Suggestions Welcome :)

R

sojan

Post by sojan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Great post from lionking and plans..
My advice is.. never plan any legal or discussions with UKBA without a proper official announcement.

Another thing which I've seen is..
I've called my 8 friends after this announcement. Not even 1 of them are aware of these changes nor the risk for existing T1(G) holders. .ie. A very small section of T1(G) holders are aware of the issue, and we need to do a mouth publicity to all ur friends and ask them to speak to or use immigrationboards for further details. We need more people in our side to be aware of the situation in case a worse thing happens.

Also XMas time is coming. Any govt offices will be back to normal by Jan Mid. So have to think a bit in advance, what all we do..

mmmsa5
Newly Registered

Post by mmmsa5 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:52 pm

I have followed the previous post "Coalition prepares ground for attacking Tier 1 system?" (all 62 pages) and though I am utterly disgusted at the way the Government has decided to close T1(G) all together as their research supported their suspicion that many people are doing low skilled jobs, I am hesitant to lodge a half hearted Petition at the moment.

Given that, so far, UKBA has not announced anything bad against T1(G) extensions, and their annual limit page wrongly saying that all in-country applications under T2 are not capped, I believe we should not worry too much about lack of clarification about T1(G) Extensions in that hasty news update. If all in-country applicants are to be excluded from the cap, does that not mean that the actual cap will be almost twice than the proposed one?

I also remember there was another petition which was filed back in Feb/Mar 2009 but was wrongly submitted to have closed only in 2010, and was interestingly answered by our "loved" Tories. The response was along the lines that though the government has not introduced retrospective changes for extension applications so far, they will provide transitional arrangements for existing migrants and will carefully consider how any changes should be brought in future. I sincerely hope that the Government will not act retrospectively.

Having said that, I am worried what if there aren't any transitional arrangements? It's a problem for all extenders, especially for those whose visas are due for extension in Apr/May 2011. With so much happening with T2 (G), which by the way is capped for in-country applicants during the interim limit, those of us who are lucky to have landed jobs with big organisations may find that getting a CoS in a short period of time is almost impossible, if it comes to that. Any significant change at the last minute can spell a disaster for such migrants.

Please don't get me wrong, but I think we should approach this problem by contacting UKBA in the first place. I know people have received general replies from UKBA but they should reply to those emails highlighting lack of information in that news update about T1(G) extension. If by end of this coming week we are still in dark, then we should resort to a concerted effort to involve media to highlight the misery in which T1(G) are left with by half cooked headline grabbing policy of the Government. We should continue to gather support and good arguments to go into the petition in the mean time which I believe should be the last option we should pursue.

saayinla

Post by saayinla » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:24 pm

raxs1983 wrote:Before anything else, please do not argue and try to byte on each other's asses on their faults and mistakes. Please do not clog this topic with useless replies. Please !!!

Okay lads. I think we have had a very good review from all senior personnel in this forum. I think "thelionking" and MICKS seems to be very good at drafting and wording in appropriate manner. I knew I was not going to be so good at it but needed to light the fire to start with. I am glad we all are taking this forward a step after another. Let's keep this rolling.

I have created a Facebook Page (SAVE TIER 1) I appreciate it isn't very appropriate name but Facebook will only allow certain type of names. So if anyone finds any better name, feel free to suggest.

Again, I would need volunteer. If you are interested than let me know, and I will add you as Administrator to make any changes.

"thelionking" & MICKS, are you guys okay to work together on drafting the petition? I would say it shall go live by 30/11/2010.

R
Liked...

MICKS

Post by MICKS » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:19 pm

raxs1983 wrote:Before anything else, please do not argue and try to byte on each other's asses on their faults and mistakes. Please do not clog this topic with useless replies. Please !!!

R

ok fellas....here comes my second attempt....please suggest what is not correct , why AND what we should replace it with (dont forget mention the point numbers)....lets get this thing worthy of being read by Mrs. May within next few days before she gets busy opening her xmas presents.....

Dear Sir/Madam,

1. We the undersigned are writing to you with regards to the forthcoming changes being considered to Tier 1 extensions and settlement criteria for those that are currently onshore in the United Kingdom. This petition is a collective appeal from existing Tier 1 visa holders as we are seriously concerned about these upcoming changes.

2. Firstly, we understand that Home Office is determined to fully reform the existing immigration system and a key part of this change is to completely abolish the Tier 1 general route from April 2011. But we would like to hereby insist that the efforts and sacrifices of existing Tier 1 holders must not be taken casually and we must not be used as scapegoats for political gains. We are not Bogus Asylum seekers trying to force our way in, but a selected group of educated and highly skilled professionals who have followed all proper channels and have reasonable expectations.

3. We would like to highlight to the Home Office that most of us have sacrificed our old life in our native countries by leaving our homes, our families, our friends and our jobs and have moved to the United Kingdom with the intention of making it our new home. Many of us have dependants with us, have taken mortgages, employed in legitimate jobs, made new friends, send children to school etc. Now there might be a minority of Tier 1 arrivals that have failed to find skilled work during this recession and may have been forced to do odd jobs to support their families, but, note that they are still not breaking any visa conditions. We believe that punishing the vast majority the bad fortune of the minority that have not been able to establish a career here is not justice.

4. Also, please note that all of us had flourishing careers back in our native countries (as we couldn't have met the entry criteria to U.K. without proving this with verifiable evidence). We have indeed taken considerable risks by placing our fate in the hands of Home Office with a belief that we will be valued and treated fairly, clearly the expectation was that we will be offered a route to settlement just like it was given to all others before us.

5. In absence of a positive announcement there is feeling of confusion and uncertainty amongst us with a perception that all our efforts may have gone astray if deterrents get place on the path of Tier 1 extensions and settlement for existing visa holders.

6. At this point we would also like to point out that almost all of us Tier 1 / Highly skilled migrants were also eligible to migrate to other destinations like Canada, Australia or New Zealand under a similar points systems where settlement is granted from Day 1, but we chose U.K. And we did that to fulfil the dream of living here and making it our home with the trust that we will be offered a genuine path to settlement just like all in the past were given under this program.

7. Henceforth, we are requesting the Home Office to consider and introduce transitional arrangements for those already in the UK. Any adverse policy change that takes a complete U-Turn will not just badly hurt our morale but also lead us to face undeserved difficulties in further relocation re-establishing a new life somewhere else. Needless to say starting from zero again will not be such a “straight forwardâ€
Last edited by MICKS on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:56 pm

Lets wait for the final publications,Micks you are right but uptill today they havnt said anything about existing and ILR.

mbrp
Newly Registered

Post by mbrp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:31 am

I am not a Guru in English. But, I have slightly re-worked the draft from language perspective - made a few things a bit subtle. I have also taken a little liberty to remove a few things that I felt which could back fire on us. For example: if we say that other countries welcome us, UK could say "Go there".

Please have a look.

Dear Mrs. May,

We are a group of legitimate, existing Tier1(General) migrants currently employed in highly skilled jobs in the UK. We would like to express our views and concerns about closure of Tier1(General) route and the lack of information about its impact on us.

It is clear from your speech and subsequent announcements on UKBA website that closing Tier1(General) migration route effective April 2011 is one of the key steps to control burgeoning immigration. However, the communication released so far does not clearly and comprehensively articulate the impact of proposed policy changes on us - apart from a terse statement confirming closure of Tier1(General) route.

We are well educated and highly skilled economic migrants who have always remained on the right side of the law. We have not forced our way into the UK nor usurped the host country through deception. Our positive contributions in economical and technological terms are already acknowledged by the MAC, local businesses, think-tanks, Universities and various other public bodies including the NHS.

Having sacrificed our previous lives and careers, we are now in the process of finding a new life in the UK. We have assets, mortgages, businesses, school-going children, friends and family here. The framework of Tier1(General) encouraged us to have reasonable expectations and proceed towards a more settled life hoping for long term stability.

We do acknowledge that a minority of the Tier 1(General) migrants have failed to land in highly skilled jobs. Perhaps a thorough investigation could shed light on how the socioeconomic reasons such as recession forced highly skilled migrants to take up low-skilled jobs. We are also concerned that neither the Government nor the media have confirmed that such migrants were not in breach of their visa conditions. Even the worse of us, if one could term them so, has stayed on the right side of the law.

Unfortunately, the recent modifications to the immigration policy and the way those modifications were communicated have undermined the legitimacy, importance, positive contributions and sacrifices made by the majority of Tier1(General) migrants. We are naturally adversely affected by it. Lack of comprehensive information explaining the future for us has put us in an elevated state of anxiety adding insult to injury.

Believing in values such as fairness and justice, which the UK has practiced (or perhaps invented) for a long time, we request for an unambiguous assurance that no change will be made to the extension and settlement criteria for existing Tier1(General) migrants. Any deterrent to extension and settlement would mean a confirmation that the UK has indeed undermined the legitimacy, importance, positive contributions and sacrifices that we have made so far. Thus, being pushed back to the proverbial square-one, we would then have to start an emotional, stressful and a risky process of rebuilding our lives elsewhere. Such a scenario would put us both in lose-lose situation.

There are several roots and reasons for us to love the UK and be thankful for it. Though there are key challenges, we remain open for meaningful integration. Being British is an emotional aspect that cannot be captured by immigration status or race. We are continuously demonstrating that we are earning our right to be settled – just like the way you intended us to be. Putting us in the same basket with those who are less committed to the UK is unfair and perhaps unjustifiable.

The Government can count on our continued contributions to the UK. We also welcome and support Government initiatives aimed at reducing illegal immigration, including from our native countries.

We believe that you will understand and acknowledge our sensitive situation and reciprocate it with a statement clarifying your position about us.

Respectfully
Legitimate Tier1(General) Migrants

LennyTzang
Newly Registered

Post by LennyTzang » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:59 am

I took a little liberty to slightly modify the version drafted by mprb.

Please have a look.

Dear Mrs. May,

We are a group of legitimate, existing Tier1(General) migrants currently employed in highly skilled jobs in the UK. We would like to express our views and concerns about closure of Tier1(General) route and the lack of information about its impact on us.

It is clear from your speech and subsequent announcements on UKBA website that closing Tier1(General) migration route effective April 2011 is one of the key steps to control burgeoning immigration. However, the communication released so far does not clearly and comprehensively articulate the impact of proposed policy changes on us - apart from a terse statement confirming closure of Tier1(General) route.

We are well educated and highly skilled economic migrants who have always remained on the right side of the law, and positively contribute to the UK soceity and economic. We have not forced our way into the UK nor usurped the host country through deception. Our positive contributions in economical and technological terms are already acknowledged by the MAC, local businesses, think-tanks, Universities and various other public bodies including the NHS. [should we add some references to here]

Having sacrificed our previous lives and careers, we are now in the process of finding a new life in the UK. We have assets, mortgages, businesses, school-going children, friends and family here. The framework of Tier1(General) encouraged us to have reasonable expectations and proceed towards a more settled life hoping for long term stability.

We do acknowledge that a minority of the Tier 1(General) migrants have failed to land in highly skilled jobs. Perhaps a thorough investigation could shed light on how the socioeconomic reasons such as recession forced highly skilled migrants to take up low-skilled jobs. We are also concerned that neither the Government nor the media have confirmed that such migrants were not in breach of their visa conditions. Even the worse of us, if one could term them so, has stayed on the right side of the law.

Unfortunately, the recent modifications to the immigration policy and the way those modifications were communicated have undermined the legitimacy, importance, positive contributions and sacrifices made by the majority of Tier1(General) migrants. We are naturally adversely affected by it. Lack of comprehensive information explaining the future for us has put us in an elevated state of anxiety adding insult to injury.

Believing in values such as fairness and justice, which the UK has practiced (or perhaps invented) for a long time, we request for an unambiguous assurance that no change will be made to the extension and settlement criteria for existing Tier1(General) migrants. Any deterrent to extension and settlement would mean a confirmation that the UK has indeed undermined the legitimacy, importance, positive contributions and sacrifices that we have made so far. Thus, being pushed back to the proverbial square-one, we would then have to start an emotional, stressful and a risky process of rebuilding our lives elsewhere. Such a scenario would put us both in lose-lose situation.

There are several roots and reasons for us to love the UK and be thankful for it. Though there are key challenges, we remain open for meaningful integration. Being British is an emotional aspect that cannot be captured by immigration status or race. We are continuously demonstrating that we are earning our right to be settled – just like the way you intended us to be. Putting us in the same basket with those who are less committed to the UK is unfair and perhaps unjustifiable.

The Government can count on our continued contributions to the UK. We also welcome and support Government initiatives aimed at reducing illegal immigration, including from our native countries.

We believe that you will understand and acknowledge our sensitive situation and reciprocate it with a statement clarifying your position about us.

Respectfully
Legitimate Tier1(General) Migrants

srirags

Post by srirags » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:39 am

All,

I couldn't see any announcement on Tier-1 extension or settlement. I feel we need to wait till the announcement is made so that the below points make sense.

I appreciate all you efforts but to turn this in the right direction, I'd like to suggest you all to wait till the publication is made.

Lets hope for the best!

Cheers,

December31

Post by December31 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:55 am

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we have nothing to lose by putting a petition, on contrary it would be difficult to over-turn a decision or ruling already made. Better safe than sorry.

mbrp
Newly Registered

Post by mbrp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:17 am

@LennyTzang - the first change you have suggested is already covered (in the sentence right next to it). And quoting references to our positive contributions when we are addressing the home secretary is not necessary in my opinion. She has plenty of staff to verify our claim. Also, such a list could be exhaustive.

@srirags -

Had they said "something" like "we are working on an alternate arrangement for existing tier1(general) visa holders" then it would have made some sense for us to wait. Of course we all know that they are making alternate arrangements for us and of course they will announce changes "eventually".

My view is that they were wrong in ignoring the "information need" of thousands of existing Tier1(Generals) when they released further information. One may argue that they haven't said anything about us deliberately - perhaps not to further enrage the media by saying they will allow us to settle. But such gains are short term. Media will be angry one way or another.

My contract is due for renewal in December. My employer is hesitating to renew my services. He told me that if he extends my contract now and later (Jan/Feb) comes to know that I need a work permit, he would terminate the contract instead of applying for a work permit it seems. He asked me whetehr I know anyone having visa longer than I do.

See - how lack of information causes genuine problems? In some cases it affects our bottomline.

Right now we are speculating. Root cause for it is lack of information. Our analytical minds wont stop speculating. So, the best thing to do right now is press for information.

Sending a polite petition also amounts to "lobbying".
Lobbying for a favourable outcome is not an offense.
Besides, it gives a chance for us to emphasise that most of us are legitimate and we have a voice.

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:35 am

Okies, I thank all for their respective efforts and suggestion. With help from fellow members and a good lawyer friend of mine, here is what I vote to go live for petition by Tuesday 30/11/2010. I don't think there are many people who are aware of these possible changes. We need minimum of 500 LEGIT signatures for petition to be heard by No 10. So please guys spread the word, get you friends to join FB campaign, I only see 25 people thus far.. We need 500 at least and than all of them to sign it. I do not think below needs any major rewordings (simply because I have merged two or perhaps 3 different letters posted in here), but again suggestions are welcome :) Again, if we all here are agreed to 500 Signatures within 10 days of going live, I will publish it soon, or may be if someone else would like to do it, please feel free to volunteer :) After all, its collective effort and for benefit for all :)

Dear Home Secretary,

We, the undersigned are writing to express our views and concerns about closure of Tier1 (General) route and the lack of information about its impact on existing Tier 1 Visa holders who are already onshore in the United Kingdom. This petition is a collective appeal from existing Tier 1 visa holders as we are seriously concerned about any upcoming changes for those already in the UK.

It comes clear from the speech by the home secretary, that the Home Office is determined to fully reform the existing immigration system and a key part of this change is to completely abolish the Tier 1 general route from April 2011. But we would like to hereby insist that the efforts and sacrifices of existing Tier 1 holders must not be taken casually and we must not be used as scapegoats for political gains.

We are well educated and highly skilled economic migrants who have always remained on the right side of the law. We have not forced our way into the UK nor usurped the host country through deception. Our positive contributions in economical and technological terms are already acknowledged by the MAC, local businesses, think-tanks, Universities and various other public bodies including that off National Health Services (NHS).

We would like to highlight to the Home Office that most of us have sacrificed our old life in our native countries by leaving our homes, our families, our friends and our jobs and have moved to the United Kingdom with the intention of making it our new home. Many of us have dependants with us, have taken mortgages, employed in legitimate jobs, made new friends, send children to school etc. Now there might be a minority of Tier 1 arrivals that have failed to find skilled work during this recession and may have been forced to do odd jobs to support their families, but, note that they are still not breaking any visa conditions. We believe that punishing the vast majority the bad fortune of the minority that have not been able to establish a career here is not justice.

Also, please note that all of us had flourishing careers back in our native countries (as we couldn't have met the entry criteria to U.K. without proving this with verifiable evidence). We have indeed taken considerable risks by placing our fate in the hands of Home Office with a belief that we will be valued and treated fairly, clearly the expectation was that we will be offered a route to settlement just like it was given to all others before us.

In absence of a positive announcement there is feeling of confusion and uncertainty amongst us with a perception that all our efforts may have gone astray if deterrents get place on the path of Tier 1 extensions and settlement for existing visa holders. While being adversely affected by lack of information for the existing TIER 1 visa holders in the UK, it has also put us all in elevated state of anxiety adding insult to an injury.

Believing in values such as fairness and justice, which the UK has practiced (or perhaps invented) for a long time, we request for an unambiguous assurance that no changes will be made to the extension and settlement criteria for existing Tier1 (General) migrants. Any deterrent to extension and settlement would mean a confirmation that the UK has indeed undermined the legitimacy, importance, positive contributions and sacrifices that we have made so far. Thus, being pushed back to the proverbial square-one, we would then have to start an emotional, stressful and a risky process of rebuilding our lives elsewhere.

And above all, we love living in the U.K. and are thankful for the opportunity granted to us by the British government. We are committed for keep making positive contributions towards making a better future for Britain. We would therefore request that existing legitimate Tier 1 Visa holders should be allowed to extend their stay and settle in the United Kingdom in consistence with the existing rules. We believe that you will understand and acknowledge our sensitive situation and reciprocate it with a statement clarifying your position about us.

Respectfully,
Tier 1 Visa Holders currently in UK