ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residence received - when to start naturalization?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

juso73

Permanent residence received - when to start naturalization?

Post by juso73 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 am

Hello,

after an absolute nightmarish process of getting our PR we are now wondering when exactly my hysband can apply for naturalization? (I am German, my husband is Brazilian and it took us 8 months and inumerous complaint letters, calls, faxes and finally a letter from the MP to get our passports and then our documents back, so I can't say I am looking forward at having another go at dealing with the UKBA...).

The letter which came with the passport is dated 5/08/2010 (as is permit in passport), but we will complete 6 years in the UK at the end of December 2010? I know you have to have PR for 1 year to apply for passport, but is it 1 year from the date you receive your passport back or 1 year from the date you actually lawfully resided in the country?

Also, is the naturalization process as horrible as the PR one?

Many thanks!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:50 pm

One year from the date you automatically acquired PR. So if you began residing in the UK in Oct 05 you attain PR in Oct '10 irrespective of when the UKBA confirms it on paper.

So basically you can apply for BC in Dec '10.

babyluv

Post by babyluv » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Plum70 wrote:One year from the date you automatically acquired PR. So if you began residing in the UK in Oct 05 you attain PR in Oct '10 irrespective of when the UKBA confirms it on paper.

So basically you can apply for BC in Dec '10.
Plum70 still dont get it. is my assumption right based on my case..

May2010:Family Granted leave to remain in uk (5yrs visa)
May 2010: Visa expires . Application for PR using EEA4 sent in May before exp.
Dec 2010: PR granted but stamp says November 25 :roll:

Family 6yrs stay will be in May.. Based on your reply above, are you saying We can Apply in May or do we have to wait till November to do this. Thank

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:47 pm

The day you and your husband began residing in the UK as a married couple is when the residence clock began ticking. It is irrelevant when the UKBA confirmed your PR on paper.

Understand?

babyluv

Post by babyluv » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Plum70 wrote:The day you and your husband began residing in the UK as a married couple is when the residence clock began ticking. It is irrelevant when the UKBA confirmed your PR on paper.

Understand?
now i do thanks :D :D :D