ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Chili2
Newly Registered

OCI Status - Processing Time

Post by Chili2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Dear all, Just to share my timeline

Date Of Acknowledgment 04-AUG-2010
Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On 12-OCT-2010
Registration Status Granted On 22-OCT-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 26-OCT-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at LONDON NOT YET

From the above, it has taken 11 weeks for OCI to be granted.

I guess another week to 10 days for docs to be received in London.

To all those applying, keep in mind about 12-15 weeks for application to be completed.

I'll update once I have docs in London. thanks :D

krazydude
Member of Standing

Response to RAJ2007 Queries

Post by krazydude » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:48 pm

This is in response to RAJ2007's question

The form say 51x51 mm and I went to Snappy Snaps and told them that I wanted this size. They charge about £15 for 2, which I thought was expensive. So I went to a local Kodak photo studio where I got 4 for £10. It needs to be a grey background. I did not want my application to be delayed due to the photo issue coz things just go from bad to worse then. To quote from the HCI website
Note: 3 when the status of an OCI document in the online status enquiry is GRANTED and NOT PRINTED EVEN AFTER A WEEK, please note that the photograph uploaded could not be printed in Delhi. To rectify this, please take a copy of the status report and paste a FRESH PHOTOGRAPH (51x51mm with 80% coverage of face) on the left hand below the status report copy & sign (thumb impression in case of infants) on the right hand side opposite to the photo and submit it at token counter of High Commission (upto 1200 hrs. only) or send by post to OCI Department by special delivery. This will be scanned and uploaded again. This process is likely to take a further period of up to two weeks and the progress can be watched through status enquiry.

You can re-print the form from the website using the reference nr you get when you first completed and submitted your form. I would suggest you use Internet Explorer browser (not Firefox,Chrome,Opera or any other as I have noticed that they do not correctly print out the form, some lines of data gets lost!!!)

Check these images for help. You need to scroll to the bottom of the page to get the re-print option.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Last edited by krazydude on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:12 pm

krazydude,

Thank you very much. I went to snappy snap,got 4 PP photo of 51x 51mm for 13.99.

I am going to submit my, my wife's and son's OCI appl. The website has asked to submit the appl. in person. Does that mean I need to take my wife and son with me or can i submit all the three appl. by myself?

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:49 am

Raj2007,

I went for my application personally, but then again it was just for me. However I did see people who were ahead in the queue who were submitting multiple applications (probably for family members). I would say if your wife and child can make it, it would be better if you take them along with you. If for some reason (and that includes not making them stand outside in the queue on a wet and cold morning) they cannot make it, then I think you could submit application on their behalf, but this is then dependant on the mood the guy/gal behind the counter is in. He/She may accept it or tell you to bring them with you.

You got a good deal at Snappy Snaps :)

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:13 pm

Krazydude,

I went to HCI today and submitted our appl. I didn't took my wife or son with me. I found that they are not objecting if you are submitting your wife or children's appl. However people who are submitting their sister or uncle's or some other family member's appl then they are not accepting it. I was after 20 people in the OCI queue. However out of 20 only 2's appl. was accepted. Others were rejected either for photo, documents not correct etc. Therefore within 45 min of entering the HCI building I could submit my appl. They guy took 5min to sort out my appl. Thanks again for the photo advise. HCI is very strict about it. Now wait for the OCI visa. Did you go today?

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:39 am

RAJ2007,

Congrats. Its good that you were able to submit your applications (all 3) without any hitch. I submitted my application last week. I was 28th in queue and it took me 1 hr 20 mins (approx) from the outside HCI queue to application submission, so I think you were lucky. I also noticed that there were people ahead in queue who were arguing with the person behind the counter which did slow things down on that day for all of us. Once you reach the counter and have all your documents in place, its a quick process. I took a lot of documents with me (almost everything on the OCI Info Page), so basically had everything with me when I reached the counter.

Hope you get your OCI's by Mid-Feb 2011 without anymore hassle. Keep checking the site for updates.

MF123
Newly Registered

OCI taking longer than 3 months

Post by MF123 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi,

I applied for OCI application for my 2 kids and I.

I submitted my application along with surrender certificate and all necessary documents. I got the online application number with in a week. However, its been over 3 and half months and i am still awaiting to get my OCI.

I now got a transfer from my UK company to UAE and i am relocating with my family to UAE with in next three weeks.

I have made atleast 50 calls each lasting for over 30 minutes and have sent atleast 30 emails, but i havent got even a single reply from High commission of India, London.

I am confused and worried now as i have spent so much money on the application form itself (plus the postal order, travel to london etc, etc).

If its takes longer and if my family and I are not in this country, is it possible to get the OCI stamped in UAE (Dubai)? for the application i have submitted in the UK?

Does any one has a contact number which i can use to contact High Commission of India, London to explain my situation.

Please advise.

Many Thanks
MF

tiya_dutta
Newly Registered

Big Thank You to Krazydude

Post by tiya_dutta » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:45 pm

Can I say a heartfelt thank you to Krazydude for your screenshots.

Until you mentioned that the OCI forms would not print properly in Google Chrome , I was blissfully unaware and did not know where to put the signatures on Form A, as it hadn't printed properly on chrome.

Since I intend to send a postal application to CGI Birmingham , you have spared me a huge amound of hassle.

Thanks again.
tiya_dutta

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:16 am

tiya_dutta, you are most welcome. I would recommend if you can spare the time and expense to do a personal application rather than taking the postal route as I have heard some unfortunate mishaps that have taken place with postal applications. I have also read similar incidents on this forum as well.

MF123, I think you should go down to HCI personally and have a word with the High Commissoner there.

Allview
Newly Registered

OCI - Photo background colour

Post by Allview » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Hello All,

OCI application FAQ document says they require Photos with light coloured (NOT WHITE) backgorund. I have taken my Photos with light sky blue colour. Would that be okay? OR it has to be okay or it has to be light gray background colour?

Please advise.

Thanks
All view

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

tintin wrote:I wonder if someone can help with this.

Me and my wife are Indian citizens, we both have Indian passports and are staying in the U.K. on an indefinite leave to remain.

Our 5 week old son was born in the UK and he has now got his U.K passport.

My questions are:

1. Is he eligible to be registered as an Overseas Citizen of India?

2. In case he is not eligible for OCI, we will aplly for a PIO card. In that case would we have to send any one parent's orginal Indian passport or would a photocopy do? Or instead would it be ok if I send my Indian birth certificate and college degree in original? I am very wary of sending my original passport because there's always a risk of it getting lost and if that happens I'll again have to pay the huge fee to get the ILR.
1. Yes if the child was issued an Indian passport before registering as UK citizen. No otherwise.
2. Check with HCI regarding documentary evidence(s) needed for a minor's PIO application.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

mansawant

Post by mansawant » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi Sushdmehta,

I have read on HCI website below regarding eligibility for minor's OCI application. In case of tintin's query both parents are Indian national so as per below information their son is not eligible for OCI.

4. List of enclosures: All documents in 2 separate sets of photocopies and each page self-attested by the applicant. For minors the Parent must self-attest the photocopies. When signing on the photocopies of the documents please mention as "Self Attested" and sign with name & date. [All original documents may be kept ready for verification on demand, while processing]. [quote]Eligibility for minor applicants: one of the parents should be foreign passport holder.[/quote]

Regards,
Mansawant

tiya_dutta
Newly Registered

Post by tiya_dutta » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:21 pm

krazydude wrote:tiya_dutta, you are most welcome. I would recommend if you can spare the time and expense to do a personal application rather than taking the postal route as I have heard some unfortunate mishaps that have taken place with postal applications. I have also read similar incidents on this forum as well.

MF123, I think you should go down to HCI personally and have a word with the High Commissoner there.
Can I just state my experience -

1) Applied for Surrender Certificate to VFS Office, Hayes London on 4th October - received Surrender Certificate back on 26th October by Special Delivery - they even paid for the Courier as they had lost my Special Delivery Envelope.

2) Applied for OCI - documents posted 23rd November to CGI , Brimingham.
Received Documents back with receipt on 25th November.

So , looks like VFS/HCI/CGI have cleaned up their act and have suddenly become efficient. Moral of the story - if you can't queue up - post it but with all the documents and a nice covering letter .

(I hope this isn't the kiss of death for me - now that I have stated all this - CGI will probably lose my OCI application ..... :wink: )

Allview
Newly Registered

Re: OCI taking longer than 3 months

Post by Allview » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:50 pm

I think there is a contact no on HCI London website which they never pick up. I know that you can let HCI know about your new address anywhere in the world and provide them with pre paid envelop and they will post your OCI documents there.

Good luck
All view

MF123 wrote:Hi,

If its takes longer and if my family and I are not in this country, is it possible to get the OCI stamped in UAE (Dubai)? for the application i have submitted in the UK?

Does any one has a contact number which i can use to contact High Commission of India, London to explain my situation.

Please advise.

Many Thanks
MF

Allview
Newly Registered

OCI Photos

Post by Allview » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:38 am

Hello All,

OCI application FAQ document says they require Photos with light coloured (NOT WHITE) backgorund. I have taken my Photos with light sky blue colour. Would that be okay? OR it has to be okay or it has to be light gray background colour?

Please advise.

Thanks
All view

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi,

Submitted OCI application in person at HCI London on 15th Nov 2010

Photo/Signature Scanned On 02-DEC-2010
Registration Status Granted On 06-DEC-2010
Documents Printed - 8th Dec 2010
Dispatched to London- Not Yet

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Here is my timeline as on 8 Dec 2010

Date Of Acknowledgment 12-NOV-2010 (Date I submitted application at HCI)

Application Status

Photo/Signature Scanned On 07-DEC-2010
Registration Status Granted On 07-DEC-2010
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned
Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at LONDON NOT YET

OCI_UK
Newly Registered

Post by OCI_UK » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 am

Congratulations Manish. I have been following your progress. You were first to announce that HCI was returning passport along with SC. Please can you tell what is the endorsement on the cancelled passport. Thanks.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 pm

OCI_UK

One the first page of the passport, one would get the following stamp

REVOKED
Date of revocation
Acquired British/Foreign Nationality

OCI_UK
Newly Registered

Post by OCI_UK » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:13 pm

OCI_UK

One the first page of the passport, one would get the following stamp

REVOKED
Date of revocation
Acquired British/Foreign Nationality
Thank you so much buddy. I have the same endorsement. Yet, VFS won't accept my SC application as it is already cancelled before 31.05.2010 and HCI inisists they need SC. And I can tell you phones at HCI don't work! I need to escalate this up to a higher level mandarin.

BTW : Your OCI application post is very useful. Noble effort. Good luck and congratulations.

mansawant

Post by mansawant » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:21 pm

My OCI application status as on 14th Dec 2010.

Date of Acknowledgment: 11-OCT-2010

Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned on 01-DEC-2010
Registration status Granted on 01-DEC-2010
Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents printed on: 07-DEC-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 10-DEC-2010
Documents Received at LONDON on 14-DEC-2010

Regds,
Manish

Newly Registered

oci postal application hci london

Post by 123 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 pm

posted by special delivery on 23/11/10
acknowledged 2/12/10
scanned 8/12/10
granted 9/12/10
printed 14/12/10
dispatched : not yet
arrived at london: not yet

does this means i will get my oci cards in 1-2 weeks? or i have got it wrong?
is this the average time frames at the moment?

regards

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

OCI Timeline

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:47 am

Date Of Acknowledgment 15-NOV-2010
Application Status
Documents Printed On 08-DEC-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 13-DEC-2010
Documents Received at LONDON On 15-DEC-2010

I am well chuffed by the timeline. Exactly one month! I believe this is the quickest OCI timeline I have seen in this forum.

Newly Registered

Re: OCI Timeline

Post by 123 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:01 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:Date Of Acknowledgment 15-NOV-2010
Application Status
Documents Printed On 08-DEC-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 13-DEC-2010
Documents Received at LONDON On 15-DEC-2010

I am well chuffed by the timeline. Exactly one month! I believe this is the quickest OCI timeline I have seen in this forum.
Congratulations! For getting in 30 days.
But how did it get to London in 2 days. I suspect they use next day courier.
Any way well done to you and Oci department. I have a question about collecting Oci at counter. Do we pre book an appointment or go and stand in queue for a token.

Regards

Newly Registered

update oci application at london hci

Post by 123 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:54 pm

postal application 23/11/10
acknowledgement 02/12/10
scanned 08/12/10
granted 09/12/10
printed 14/12/10
dispatched 20/12/10
received at london 23/12/10

exactly 1 month.