ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi,
We were planning to apply for Naturalisation after my 6 years of lawful living in the country. I am in the country since Aug2004. I got married in Apr 2007 and since then my wife is living with me in the Country.
Both of us at the moment have ILR and eligible to apply for Naturalisation.
This is my question:
Can we both apply for Naturalisation now?
Or should i apply for naturalisation and then opnce i receive it, i should apply for my wife.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Your spouse may apply for naturalisation through either of the following routes:
Route 1 - Complete 5 years in the UK and upon fulfilling standard requirements apply for naturalisation.
Route 2 - After you are granted British citizenship (naturalisation certificate), your spouse may then apply for naturalisation as spouse of British citizen as and when requirements for spouse /civil partners are met.

If you wish to apply together, you will need to wait until such time that your spouse fulfils the standard requirements.

And, please don't make multiple posts on the same topic.

regards

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:19 am

Hi,
I have a quick question..

I am living in UK since Aug 2004 till date. I have been in the field of IT all this time....
Period 1 - Aug 2004 to Jun 2010 i worked with an Employer...
Period 2 - Jul 2010 till date - Working as a IT contractor and have become Director of my own VAAT registered Company.

My question is around HM Revenue taxation thing during the period. I have all taxation documents for Period 1.
For period 2 this is the first taxation year, so have no tax returns...What would you suggest me?

My company is VAT registered and pay VAT on quarterly basis. i have payed VAT till Sept 2010, so have that document but no year end thing...Please suggest...

In the form AN guide page 14
For individuals who are self-employed / business person:
• Evidence from the HM Revenue and Customs confirming payment of tax over the relevant period.

Page 16:
If you do not pay tax through Pay As You Earn (PAYE) arrangements, we require
• The most recent HM Revenue & Customs Self Assessment Statement of Account

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:55 pm

For your personal income as a director of your company, do you pay tax through PAYE?

regards

wp_to_tier1_168

Post by wp_to_tier1_168 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:15 pm

sushdmehta wrote:For your personal income as a director of your company, do you pay tax through PAYE?

regards
My experience is similar, i.e. I've been director of my own company in Nov 2009 after 5 yrs of full-time employee and I pay tax thru PAYE as well. I recommend you to enclose your P60s for the last 5 yrs. I did these in my NCS submission, although the decision letter is still on the way to my home. Will keep you updated when the outcome uncovered.

Br.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:44 am

sushdmehta, yes i am registered to pay tax by PAYE..registred online and also have the details in letter from HMRC.

wp_to_tier1_168, i have P60 for all last 5 years, not a problem. But the only issue i have is my current situation as DIrector. It hasnt yet been 1 year as Director so i have not yet submitted year end Taxes for my company.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi there, any suggestions on this please??

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:14 pm

IndiaUk wrote:
sushdmehta, yes i am registered to pay tax by PAYE..registred online and also have the details in letter from HMRC.

wp_to_tier1_168, i have P60 for all last 5 years, not a problem. But the only issue i have is my current situation as DIrector. It hasnt yet been 1 year as Director so i have not yet submitted year end Taxes for my company.
I will suggest you:
1.request for the most recent HM Revenue & Customs Self Assessment Statement of Account and if you do not have this, then

2. Submit all your P60s for the closed years

and then

3. all the remaining months Payslips to show payments of TAX and NI

or if you are not paying yourself as director PAYE, then get a signed letter from your accountant to confirm the way you now as a director intends to be be paid either through dividends or otherwise

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi Iyanu,
Thanks a lot for the information..This has really helped me a lot...Now i have loads of new questions on the same topic...My comments and questions are embeded in your suggested points:

1.request for the most recent HM Revenue & Customs Self Assessment Statement of Account and if you do not have this, then

indianuk:I dont have a self assesment for my current contract (I am DIrector of my VAT registered company). I have only payed VAT returns once (quarterly) in October and have got details of the same.But no self assesment details...

2. Submit all your P60s for the closed years
indianuk: I was a full time employee till June and have P45/returns details for Aug 2004 till Jun 2010..I can produce all those documents without any issues.

and then

3. all the remaining months Payslips to show payments of TAX and NI
indianuk: As iam director of the company, i am withdrawing very less salary and taking dividend as well. But there is nothing like a formal salary slip that holds the breakup of gross, tax, inhand salary....i just issue a letter to myself with the salary details and dividend on the letter head of the company...Not sure if that will be valid without a stamp of the accoutant etc...

or if you are not paying yourself as director PAYE, then get a signed letter from your accountant to confirm the way you now as a director intends to be be paid either through dividends or otherwise[/quote]
indianuk: I think i can do this...as mentioned earlier i paid quarterly VAT returns through HMRC website though PAYE, i can download the slip...Also i can ask my accountant to issue me this sort of a letter.

My questions:
Accountants letter that you had mentioned in the last point - do you have any format of the same. If not then could you please suggest what points in particular i should be covering in the letter...My understanding is that my accountant should mentioned the name of my company, directors name, VAT registeration number, what scheme that VAT registration is done, how and how much i intend to pay myself...

It has just been 6 months for me to be in contracting and i have no self assesment done so far..I have only paid quarterly VAT returns...Not sure if this includes Tax & NI...Is VAT not different from Tax & NI...(that was the most stupid question i would have ever asked....)

Please suggest.....

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:57 pm

Your questions:
Accountants letter that you had mentioned in the last point - do you have any format of the same. If not then could you please suggest what points in particular i should be covering in the letter...My understanding is that my accountant should mentioned the name of my company, directors name, VAT registration number, what scheme that VAT registration is done, how and how much i intend to pay myself...?
Answer:
All that the accountant need to mention is your company name, that you are the director, your monthly PAYE amount, I am not sure you really need to mention VAT anyway and finally mention you will also be paid dividend at the end of the accounting year.

Your questions:
It has just been 6 months for me to be in contracting and i have no self assessment done so far..I have only paid quarterly VAT returns...Not sure if this includes Tax & NI...Is VAT not different from Tax & NI...(that was the most stupid question i would have ever asked....)

Please suggest.....

Answer: - Is VAT not different from Tax & NI?
Definitely different from Tax & NI
Value Added Tax (VAT) - is the sale price charged to its customer, minus the cost of materials and other taxable inputs...and of course you know Tax & NI are what employer deduct from your gross earning monthly and send them to government...before you are paid the remainder as Net.

You will also be expected to pay Income Tax on your company's profit at the end of the account year.

I am done now...all the best mate!

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks for your reply and patience Iyanu...
That was really helpfull.....I shall talk to my accountant and check with them regarding this...
I am sure they must have issued this sort of letter earlier as well to other clients...i shall check with them...
Thanks for the explanation on VAT...Now i am sure that i had paid VAT returns based on my earnings for the first quarter (jul - Sept 2010)..
Dont think i have done anythiing for Tax & NI.

Thanks once again for your help guys. Hope this topic will help others in the same situation....

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:18 pm

As mentioned in the posts above i have not done my self assesment yet for my company as my companys year end is Jun 2011 & financial year is 05th Apr.
Iyanu suggested that i can get a letter from my accountant syaing how i will be paying myself from the company. Has anyone got any format for the letter please?
Or any other suggestions.
Please Please Help....

wp_to_tier1_168

Post by wp_to_tier1_168 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:05 pm

indianuk wrote:As mentioned in the posts above i have not done my self assesment yet for my company as my companys year end is Jun 2011 & financial year is 05th Apr.
Iyanu suggested that i can get a letter from my accountant syaing how i will be paying myself from the company. Has anyone got any format for the letter please?
Please Please Help....
I can share my experience, which is similar to yours. I have been full time employee for more than five years then director of my own company for less than 1 year. I'm taking salary via PAYE and dividend. The first self assessment is due this month and the case work knows when is fiscal year :wink: . What I submitted are 5years p60s. The approval turned up only 3 weeks after NCS submission, which was amazing me given bad weather and holiday season.

You could add your accountant letter to show your good financial character. The p60s are crucial even as of those normal employees and also you have information of your tax office in application form. The best bet is your case only checked internally in terms of your p60s, which could avoid delay. Of course, a polite covering letter may flavor caseworker 's mood.

If you clearly qualify residency period with no penalty and conviction, the good character requirement is solely determined by your financial status. if the case worker has all necessary documents at hand, and he doesn't need to go to external check, and your case must be fast processed.

Good luck!

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:07 pm

wp_to_tier1_168 wrote:
indianuk wrote:As mentioned in the posts above i have not done my self assesment yet for my company as my companys year end is Jun 2011 & financial year is 05th Apr.
Please Please Help....
I can share my experience, which is similar to yours. I have been full time employee for more than five years then director of my own company for less than 1 year. I'm taking salary via PAYE and dividend. The first self assessment is due this month and the case work knows when is fiscal year :wink: . What I submitted are 5years p60s. The approval turned up only 3 weeks after NCS submission, which was amazing me given bad weather and holiday season.

You could add your accountant letter to show your good financial character. The p60s are crucial even as of those normal employees and also you have information of your tax office in application form. The best bet is your case only checked internally in terms of your p60s, which could avoid delay. Of course, a polite covering letter may flavor caseworker 's mood.

If you clearly qualify residency period with no penalty and conviction, the good character requirement is solely determined by your financial status. if the case worker has all necessary documents at hand, and he doesn't need to go to external check, and your case must be fast processed.

Good luck!
Hi wp_to_tier1_168,
Congratulations on the quick & positive result. That was really a relief. Even i was thinking that i dont need a self assesment in my case, i think it is only that as an applicant we become more nervous and start thinking too many things.
Please could you help me with couple of things here as i am planning to apply for Naturalisation asap. You did mention couple of things here:

"You could add your accountant letter to show your good financial character":-
Any specific format for the same? I can add my latest bank statements etc as well along with that. Also copy of my current contract etc to show that i am NOT financially bust.

"The p60s are crucial even as of those normal employees and also you have information of your tax office in application form":-
I have all P60's for last 5 years and send it across. What did you mean by my Tax office information in application form? what section are you talking about.

"Of course, a polite covering letter may flavor caseworker 's mood":-
I know it will bve spoon feeding, but could i ask you to send me a copy of the covering letter you had used.

Thanks for your help and time.

wp_to_tier1_168

Post by wp_to_tier1_168 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:31 pm

indianuk wrote: Hi wp_to_tier1_168,
Congratulations on the quick & positive result. That was really a relief. Even i was thinking that i dont need a self assesment in my case, i think it is only that as an applicant we become more nervous and start thinking too many things.
Please could you help me with couple of things here as i am planning to apply for Naturalisation asap. You did mention couple of things here:

"You could add your accountant letter to show your good financial character":-
Any specific format for the same? I can add my latest bank statements etc as well along with that. Also copy of my current contract etc to show that i am NOT financially bust.

"The p60s are crucial even as of those normal employees and also you have information of your tax office in application form":-
I have all P60's for last 5 years and send it across. What did you mean by my Tax office information in application form? what section are you talking about.

"Of course, a polite covering letter may flavor caseworker 's mood":-
I know it will bve spoon feeding, but could i ask you to send me a copy of the covering letter you had used.

Thanks for your help and time.
Don't worry... you should be OK.

1. Although I didn't ask my accountant to produce a letter for me, I envisage that an accountant letter is nice to have. At least, your accountant can witness your financial status is intact and you have a good character. I guess it's similar to an employment letter as of a normal employee. As long as you have p60s, i dont' think bank statements and your contracts are necessary. Too much document showing duplicate information could be somehow disttraction to case workers :wink: .

2. In box 3.5

3. My covering letter is very personal since I had a couple of things need clarification. E.g. I found there was publication of a new application form on the night before I went for NCS. So actually in my submission, my application form was mixed, of which the section of referee is from the old version. I explained it in the covering letter. Another example is that my daugher has two names in her passport, one of which was from her UK birth certificate. I would like the HO to use her birth certificate name. Again I need to clarify it. Overall Covering letters can be a platform showing your sensible and resonable character.

At last, I personally think the NCS is quite helpful not only because you don't send your original documents also they are quite spot-on, despite some members on the forum may disagree.

Hope these help. Good luck!
Last edited by wp_to_tier1_168 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply 'wp_to_tier1_168'. much appriciate it.
I had a word with my Accountant and he did some calculation and told me that my firsdt self assesment is due Next year in Jan (Jan 2012) and not this year. I started my company in Jun 2010.

Anyways I will base my application on my previous 5 year P60's & TAX reference details. Also try n get a letter from Accountant, but you are absolutely correct that extra documentaion might confuse the case worker. Anyways Thanks for your help. Hope this post will help others as well.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi wp_to_tier1_168,
I think i am confusing myself again here, This is what i am planning to do:
I will use my old P60's & P45's for the application as correctly suggested by you, because i have not yet made any self assesment as a director of the company.
Now this is my question:
Que 1: Looking at my P60 documents it appears that my Tax office address has changed from SALFORD to BRISTOL after i became Director. My accoutnant gave me my Tax Office address to me today and that was BRISTOL and all my old self assesment documents have got SALFORD on it. Now this is bit confusing. Would that make any difference.
I would assume that my NI number should be more than enough to track all my payments / financial matters with HMRC and change of address should not be an issue.
Que2: Which Tax office address should i mention in the form? If change of address does not make any difference then i guess it should be BRISTOL, that is my current address.

Thanks for your help once again...

wp_to_tier1_168

Post by wp_to_tier1_168 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:04 am

indianuk wrote:Hi wp_to_tier1_168,
I will use my old P60's & P45's for the application as correctly suggested by you, because i have not yet made any self assesment as a director of the company.
Now this is my question:
Que 1: Looking at my P60 documents it appears that my Tax office address has changed from SALFORD to BRISTOL after i became Director. My accoutnant gave me my Tax Office address to me today and that was BRISTOL and all my old self assesment documents have got SALFORD on it. Now this is bit confusing. Would that make any difference.
I would assume that my NI number should be more than enough to track all my payments / financial matters with HMRC and change of address should not be an issue.
Que2: Which Tax office address should i mention in the form? If change of address does not make any difference then i guess it should be BRISTOL, that is my current address.

Hi,

1. not necessarily attach P45 (only for changing employer). You have unique NI to trace your tax history even with different tax offfice.
2. filling your latest tax office as it's related to your current employment status, in which you are now director of your company.

Good luck.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:50 am

wp_to_tier1_168 wrote:
indianuk wrote:Hi wp_to_tier1_168,
Now this is my question:

Hi,

1. not necessarily attach P45 (only for changing employer). You have unique NI to trace your tax history even with different tax offfice.
2. filling your latest tax office as it's related to your current employment status, in which you are now director of your company.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply...I am at the moment trying to get format of the covering letter & the good character financial letter from my accountant.

Could you please suggest if you have a format for the letter from accountant? That would be a gr8 help.

wp_to_tier1_168

Post by wp_to_tier1_168 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:29 am

As said ealier, I didn't ask my accountant to provide the letter, but I speculate that it's nice to have that.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi wp_to_tier1_168, just a quick one. i have almost filled in the application form but have got few doubts areound occupation details.
I am the only DIrector of my ltd company and work as an IT Contractor in XYZ Insurance company.
These are the q2uestions i have realted to the sections in the form:
Section 3.1 - should i put IT Contractor for XYZ Insurance or Director of ltd Company.
Section 3.2 - i have selected Director.
Section 3.3 - Should this be 'Director of Ltd Company' OR IT Contractor with 'XYZ Insurance'
Section 3.4 - Should this be registered office Address of my ltd company OR office Address of my workplace/XYZ Insurance?

Thanks for your reply.

hsmp2tier1

Post by hsmp2tier1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:30 am

Indianuk,

If you are of Indian nationality and applying for naturalisation after 6 years (5 years + 1 year ILR) of lawful residence in the UK then you do not need to submit any P60s or self assessment statement. That's what I have been told by UKBA on the phone.

Anyone who knows more, please correct me if that's not correct.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:52 pm

hsmp2tier1 wrote:Indianuk,

If you are of Indian nationality and applying for naturalisation after 6 years (5 years + 1 year ILR) of lawful residence in the UK then you do not need to submit any P60s or self assessment statement. That's what I have been told by UKBA on the phone.

Anyone who knows more, please correct me if that's not correct.
Hi hsmp2tier1,
That might be an incorrect information hsmp2tier1. I am not sure why there would be an exception for Indian Nationals for taxation details. There are people in the forum itself who have submitted their application with the details and it looks like it is mandatory to do it.
But if your information is correct, that would make my case very straight forward.

Anyone in the forum please confirm the information.

Thanks

hsmp2tier1

Post by hsmp2tier1 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Indianuk,

Give a call on 0845 010 5200 and check if the answer to you is same as to me.

ukpl

Post by ukpl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:17 am

Being Indian national you do not need to enclose P60s as it is requirement for EEA nationals to prove exercising Treaty Rights (work here and pay tax).
However, you still need to submit evidence of lawful residence during the 5 years before the date of the application and P60s come handy here (unless you have passport with in- and out- stamps).