ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

minor criminal convictions 40 years ago

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

oldmole
Newly Registered

minor criminal convictions 40 years ago

Post by oldmole » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:04 am

I'm a US citizen with 20 years residence in the UK inc 15 years with Indefinite Leave to Remain. I'm considering application for British Citizenship.

In the UK, I've been employed, have a British family and 2 speeding tickets in the 20 years.

However, in the US around 40 years ago I was arrested and sometimes convicted of disorderly conduct, shoplifting and possession of cannabis. Once for possession of firearms which in the American West drew a $25 dollar fine. This happened about ten times and I was never jailed, only fined by local courts. I don't remember the dates of these offences and I might not remember all of them. I doubt there is any national record of them in the United States and possibly not even in the locality.

So how do I account for this in the Good Character section?

malli

Post by malli » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:58 pm

I dont think you need to mention the crimes you commit in another country, only if you are not planning to live here, if so why apply to be a british citizen then??? The crimes that you commited over here i believed that they are spent anyways, so you would be fine. but maybe someone else on here might have something elses to say about this.

Reddevil12

Post by Reddevil12 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Can you please confirm on this. Have you mentioned about the incidents that you have quoted here when you applied the application. Please do respond when you get time. THanks
Fighting spirit never fails

strajeev
Newly Registered

Post by strajeev » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:14 am

"Criminal Convictions: Civil Judgments
3.6 Do you have any criminal convictions in the UK or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil
judgements made against you?
Yes/ No
If you have answered Yes above please give details below for each sentence starting with the most recent one. If you have received more than two sentences you should continue on page 13. Convictions spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 need not be disclosed (see page 16 of the Booklet AN). If you have answered No please go to question 3.7.
Information may be checked with other agencies."
-From Form AN for naturalisation

If its me, I'll declare my convictions. Because they are some time ago, I don't think it will be a big issue than they finding it from US authorities. Also your ILR not gonna go anywhere. Give it a go mate. Good luck.

Smallfamily

Re: minor criminal convictions 40 years ago

Post by Smallfamily » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:29 pm

No u dont have to mention...40 years is a very long time! absolute no need of mentioning it :wink: