ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Citizen to British Citizen without Residence Permit

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

user1990
Newly Registered

EU Citizen to British Citizen without Residence Permit

Post by user1990 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:43 am

Hi All,

I have a question and am hoping someone can help me out or point me in the right direction. Any help will be much appreciated.

I am currently 20 years old and came to the UK when I was 9. I have been living in the UK for the last 11 years and am a German citizen. The problem is that I plan to get a British Citizenship within the next couple of years but I haven't got a Residence Permit?

From what I've read and understand is that I don't even need a Residence Permit to live here in the UK simply because of the EU Treaty rights which allow EU nationals to move freely within the EU state.

The main question is, Is it really compulsary for me to acquire a Residence Permit in order for me to get British Citizenship?

Can I not directly apply for British Citizenship now by proving that I've lived here for the last 11 years or is it really necessary to get a Residence Permit? I mean even on the form that I looked at it said it's not compulsary to get a Residence Permit because of the EU Treaty rights!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

johnsienk
BANNED

Post by johnsienk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:14 pm

<original post deleted>
Last edited by johnsienk on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnsienk
BANNED

Post by johnsienk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:18 pm

<original post deleted>
Last edited by johnsienk on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

user1990
Newly Registered

Post by user1990 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks for your reply.

I will give them a call as soon as I get a chance and once I've got some information I will update you on that!

Thanks for your help.

user1990
Newly Registered

Post by user1990 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:31 am

johnsienk wrote:Sorry, I just realised you are only 20 years old. I believe you still can apply, but I strongly suggest you check which documents you need to provide by calling 0845 010 5200 (Nationality contact centre) option 2, then option 3. Let us know what they say, if you don't mind.
I called them up today morning.

They said it is possible to apply for British Citizenship without the Residence Permit. You will have to provide last 6 years evidence showing that you were exercising your Treaty Rights. They also said to show evidence that my father was exercising his Treaty Rights too for the last 6 years (my dad is also a German national).

The guy did say to me on the phone that it will be slightly easier if you applied for your British Citizenship once you had your Residence Permit, though it's not necessary.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for the info.

fhumbert

Post by fhumbert » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:56 am

PR for an EEA national is obtained via form EEA. It is straight forward, the requirements are easy to meet and there is no fee.

Once you have PR, you can apply for BC quite easily too although it will set you back £780.

In my opinion, this is a cleaner route than the one you mention.