ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Expiry before Visa. Will Visa be granted?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sagan

Passport Expiry before Visa. Will Visa be granted?

Post by sagan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:14 am

Hi all
I have searched the forums, but I can't find my answer. Maybe someone can help me.

I want to get a dependant Tier 1 General for my fiance in the next few weeks.

The problem is her passport expires in 2011. Therefore the passport will not be valid for entire time of the Visa.

Is this a problem? I have read many threads saying that when the passport expires, and the Visa is still valid, one only has to carry two passports.

Any information would be appreciated.

kutlee

Post by kutlee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 am

the passport should be valid for atleast 6 months when visa is granted. When you renew passport with valid visa, the one with the visa cannot be cancelled and returned. So technically you will have two valid passports!

sagan

Post by sagan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:33 am

Thanks
Have you ever seen this on the UK Border Site, on anything official. I would like to get it in writing.
In case.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:09 am

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:19 pm

kutlee wrote:So technically you will have two valid passports!
You can not have 2 valid passports. The expired one is not valid even though the visas are and they are only valid for travel or anythng else when used with a new valid one.

You can transfer your visa(s) to the new one as already been advised even though you are not obliged to do so.
Live and let live

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:10 pm

HRY2005 wrote: You can not have 2 valid passports. The expired one is not valid even though the visas are and they are only valid for travel or anythng else when used with a new valid one.
This is incorrect. In South Africa it's perfectly legal to have two valid passports, they don't cancel your old one when applying for a new one (business people who travel a lot often have to have two passports so they can travel while another is in while a visa is issued). I personally have two valid passports at the moment and we are free to travel on either one. (Another example is for people doing business in the Middle East and travelling to Lebanon and Israel for example - you can't use the same passport to enter the two countries).

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:07 am

mulderpf wrote:
HRY2005 wrote:The expired one is not valid even though the visas are and they are only valid for travel or anythng else when used with a new valid one.
Even if you disagree with me on that, do you disagree with the above.
In South Africa it's perfectly legal to have two valid passports, they don't cancel your old one when applying for a new one. I personally have two valid passports at the moment and we are free to travel on either one.
I wouldn't disagree with you on that but in my own country(Nigeria), you can only have one passport at a time ''except if you have a dual nationalities''.

Even in the UK AFAIK, you can only have one. My wife renewed her passport last year with about 6 months to expire. The IPS requested for the current one and cut the edges of the back covers to rendered it invalid, the new one was issued with 5 months added to the 10 years.
Live and let live

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:24 am

mulderpf wrote:
HRY2005 wrote: You can not have 2 valid passports. The expired one is not valid even though the visas are and they are only valid for travel or anythng else when used with a new valid one.
This is incorrect. In South Africa it's perfectly legal to have two valid passports, they don't cancel your old one when applying for a new one (business people who travel a lot often have to have two passports so they can travel while another is in while a visa is issued). I personally have two valid passports at the moment and we are free to travel on either one. (Another example is for people doing business in the Middle East and travelling to Lebanon and Israel for example - you can't use the same passport to enter the two countries).
I agree with you to some extent. Its only in rare cases as I have come to realised, having a disqualified stamp in a passport(like the Israeli one and the holder intends to travel to a different country which does not recognise Israel) and internal and international passports existed in places like Russia or Ukraine.

Its only in some, not in all Countries. Thanks for making me do more research.
Live and let live

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:12 am

HRY2005 - you learn something new everyday :P

In the OP's case, I believe that the dependent visa can be issued as per normal and his fiance can then go and apply for a passport (I also believe that they are in South Africa). When I applied for my second South African passport, I used my passport as proof of identity which they were NOT very happy about and said that since I'm dealing with Dept of Home Affairs, I should have used my ID book. Regardless they accepted my passport as proof, but didn't do anything with it. They won't destroy the passport with the visa in AFAIK.

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:51 am

Yeah you are right. If the passport is still valid for the next six month, I dont think they will raise any eyebrow as to the validity of the passport. The visa will be issued, then its up to the OP if they want to transfer the visa to a new one later or combine 2 passports.

I understand that you can carry two pasport in that way. Like in your case, the reason for having 2 passports was because there was no blank page left on the old one and you've got valid visas on it.
Live and let live

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Sagan, if you are worried, why not just go and apply for a passport? How time critical is your application? My old passport only expired Oct 2012, but because I wanted my visa in a fresh passport which I can use for the next 5 years, I applied for a new one. Home Affairs was surprisingly efficient and I had my passport within 3 weeks (even though they told me it would take 4 - 6 weeks). I have heard a few success stories like this. If you are worried, this might be the better option (just remember to submit her old passport with the application too).

sagan

Post by sagan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:58 am

Thanks all.
The visa is very time sensitive, but only because of my poor planning. I was convinced that a Visa would be issued. I think I am correct. I'm applying for the visa next week and will post here exactly what transpired.