ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR acquired, when to apply for British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vegeta_2009

PR acquired, when to apply for British Citizenship

Post by vegeta_2009 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:16 pm

hi guys, i am asking on behalf of a good friend.

she is a non-eu that had her PR in october 2010,

-i hear acquired the earned citizenship has been abandoned, so no cut off data of june 2011, is this true?

-she knows that she can apply 1 year after acquiring PR status but she is confused on the documents they are asking for, will they ask for the full 5 years+1 year on PR status (P60s etc....) and would that need to be for both partners or just for the one applying?

thanks

johnsienk
BANNED

Post by johnsienk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:30 am

<original post deleted>
Last edited by johnsienk on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

vegeta_2009

Post by vegeta_2009 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:06 pm

johnsienk wrote:Hi

You wrote "PR" rather than" indefinite leave to remain", so I assume she is married to an EEA national and obtained her PR via the EEA route.

This is how I understand it:

She obtained her PR status automatically on the fifth anniversary of marriage (provided her spouse was exercising his treaty right here for these five years).

Therefore she can apply for naturalisation 1 year after the 5 year marriage anniversary (assuming they were married here) and NOT from the date the PR was issued. This means she may already be able to naturalise, depending on the dates involved.

>> would that need to be for both partners or just for the one applying

For naturalisation, just the one applying, unless they want to naturalise jointly.
thank you thats helpful, she has already applied for PR with EEA4 and got it, so from your explanation she wouldnt need to prove those 6 years applying for BC, only the one year since she's been PR.

one more question the government did scrap the earned citizenship law due on june 2011 didnt they?

Mary1

Post by Mary1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi
one more question the government did scrap the earned citizenship law due on june 2011 didnt they?
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... nt-reforms

Yes they did see link above

M