ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Renewal - When should I do it

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

krisbal

Tier 1 Renewal - When should I do it

Post by krisbal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:47 pm

My tier 1 visa expires in 2011. I have already completed 1 year in UK on this visa. How soon can I renew my visa.
A friend of mine whose got his HSMP visa renewed 8 months prior to his expiry. Another friend has sent across his docs for renewal just 2 days back 4 months prior to his expiry.

pkumar
Member of Standing

Re: Tier 1 Renewal - When should I do it

Post by pkumar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:43 pm

Looks like early renewal has caught some attention. My friend got all paperwork back advising to send for extention 28 days before expiry. Thankfully they didn't deduct his money!!! His visa expires end of this year (may be he sent way to early). I feel 3-4 months before expiry is safe bet.

krisbal

Post by krisbal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Ya but can I do it 1 year or 2 year prior to my visa expiry. As I said my friend gt it renewed 8 mnths before his expiry.

push

Post by push » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:16 pm

What will we see next - early application for extension+probationary citizenship and settlement?? or may be an extension application the moment one get initial leave??

Come on - you have good 2 years before your leave expires why do you want an extension now? Anything less than 6 months looks reasonable due to possibility of near term redundancy or a perceived reluctance of the employers to hire those wikt really short leave to remain.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

krisbal

Post by krisbal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:21 pm

Well there is certainly a reason behind that. Most of ur prospective emp recruit on the basis of validity of the visa. Hence the rush.
And renewing earlier would increase the visa expiry and would be easier to get a job.

push

Post by push » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:29 pm

krisbal wrote:Well there is certainly a reason behind that. Most of ur prospective emp recruit on the basis of validity of the visa. Hence the rush.
And renewing earlier would increase the visa expiry and would be easier to get a job.
But one has to draw a line. You still have 2 years to go on your current leave and want an early extension. Do you know that HSMP was granted for 2 years only, not so long ago - ppl did not face problems with that.

Longer leave to remain does not increase chances of getting a job!!

As I said anything less than 6 months looks reasonable but beyond that.... I dont know. Its your application mate- you decide
regards,
push

krisbal

Post by krisbal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:33 pm

hi dude,

Dont get angry. I am just trying to gather information. Nice to know these things. And I dnt hv any such intentions to apply for early renewal just wanted to know if its possible.

Cheers

hsmp12345

Post by hsmp12345 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:00 pm

krisbal wrote:hi dude,

Dont get angry. I am just trying to gather information. Nice to know these things. And I dnt hv any such intentions to apply for early renewal just wanted to know if its possible.

Cheers
Hi krisbal,

I agree with push, that looking for visa extension (earlier than 4-6 months) from expiry doesn't sound good and should not be encouraged. I mean what reasons would you give to HO if you actually go for early extension. I am sure HO would not take reason that you gave in earlier posts (for visa extension almost 2 years earlier than expiry)

This would also most likely get attention from Home office who may then even bring out strict policy against any early extension. This would surely impact some genuine applicants who may need early extension (within 4-6 months) due to some genuine reasons.

Thanks,
hsmp12345

krisbal

Post by krisbal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:05 pm

I re-iterate I dont have any intentions to do a early extension. Its just nice to know all these details. U never know when such info would be helpful.

push

Post by push » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:37 pm

krisbal wrote:hi dude,

Cheers
Not sure what gave you the impression that I am getting angry. I very well understand that it is a public forum and everyone is entitled to ask questions. Dont get me wrong; You asked a question and I just expressed my opinion.
regards,
push

Snehal
Newly Registered

Post by Snehal » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi,
My HSMP Visa is getting expired In January '10..I am getting the feeling while going through this post that it is ok to apply in August..
What do u say? Is it a safe bet ?

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Finally, HO seems to notice this...
pkumar wrote:Looks like early renewal has caught some attention. My friend got all paperwork back advising to send for extention 28 days before expiry. Thankfully they didn't deduct his money!!!

pkumar
Member of Standing

Post by pkumar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:32 pm

But I still feel it is all luck. Some caseworker look into date of expiry while some don't. And seems like [b]most of the times they do ignore visa expiry date and just give extentio[/b]n.It's all luck. if you sure you will get extension 2-4 months before expiry and there is no compelling reason then i would say one should wait it out and leave no chance of any untoward incident.

2-4 months is still fine because for Schengen visa they want your UK visa to be valid for atleast 3 months before you apply. So there are reasons to apply before hand.

But one should remember if you get rejected you will have to write your ENTIRE life for any countries visa that you were rejected(it may be very very silly reason) coz almost all visa have this question on have u ever been rejected before by ANY country,etc.

Just my thought.

scferg
Newly Registered

Post by scferg » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:53 am

I know this is a pretty old post.. but for the sake of anyone who's come across it in google like I did and wonders when to renew the visa.. check out:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... gyourstay/

It says that the 'start' date of your renewed visa will be the date the decision is made, and not the date from which your current visa expires.
When to apply
We encourage you to make your application at least 1 month before your current permission to stay expires. However, if you apply significantly more than 1 month before your permission to stay expires, and you want to apply for settlement later, you may not have accumulated enough total permission to stay. This is because your new permission to stay will begin on the date when we make the decision, not the date when your current permission expires.

Achtung

Post by Achtung » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Interesting question/debate...with due respect to all who have commented...
I would like to say that the rule does not quite clearly say how early is an early extension...hence it is open for different interpretation/misinterpretation...
IMHO we should be able to apply for an early extension as soon as we qualify for the points...there is nothing stopping us to apply early (in some cases 2 years before your VISA expires)....and I gather that lot of people have been doing that...
To be fair in the current climate of uncertainty it is a prudent choice to apply early and get the VISA thingy sorted out...
I also do understand the other side of the argument, that it is logical for the caseworker to ask us to apply 3 months or whatever before the VISA expires...again as been said it depends on ones luck...
What bothers me is this lack of clarity of the rules...and the reliance on luck...Sigh!
I am eager to hear other stories and opinions on this matter please..

Cheers
A

push

Post by push » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Achtung wrote:Interesting question/debate...with due respect to all who have commented...
I would like to say that the rule does not quite clearly say how early is an early extension...hence it is open for different interpretation/misinterpretation...
IMHO we should be able to apply for an early extension as soon as we qualify for the points...there is nothing stopping us to apply early (in some cases 2 years before your VISA expires)....and I gather that lot of people have been doing that...
To be fair in the current climate of uncertainty it is a prudent choice to apply early and get the VISA thingy sorted out...
I also do understand the other side of the argument, that it is logical for the caseworker to ask us to apply 3 months or whatever before the VISA expires...again as been said it depends on ones luck...
What bothers me is this lack of clarity of the rules...and the reliance on luck...Sigh!
I am eager to hear other stories and opinions on this matter please..

Cheers
A
There is no restriction on applying early but as mentioned above if you apply 1month before the expiry of the current leave then you will have to apply for another extension in order to meet the ILR criteria - that defeats the whole purpose of applying early!!
regards,
push

push

Post by push » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:08 pm

And there is absolute clarity on when one can apply - no luck factor involved any more.
regards,
push

push

Post by push » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Refer to this sticky for further clarification-Early Extensions: Tightening the noose
regards,
push

Achtung

Post by Achtung » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I am sorry I should have been explained my case a bit more.
Now I applied for an HSMP Aug 2007 and then came to London in Sep 2008.
Later on, I got a Tier One extension till Feb 2013.
Now in order to meet the five year requirement for ILR I need to have another extension.
Hence I am planning to apply now so that I get my Visa extended to say Feb 2014...thereby should qualify for an ILR.
Therefore I was arguing that I could apply for an early Tier One extension, provided I qualify for the points.
What you guys think about it?
Cheers.

rohitys
Mood:

Post by rohitys » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:09 pm

u apply now or u apply in 2013 for an extension its the same, doesn't make any difference as far as my understanding goes

u are gonna need a 2nd extension to meet the ILR criteria anyways

Achtung

Post by Achtung » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks mate...

Just another question sorry on a slightly different topic...

Is it possible to go to these PEOs and ask them some questions...without actually applying for the VISA...

sojan

Post by sojan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:02 am

pkumar wrote:Looks like early renewal has caught some attention. My friend got all paperwork back advising to send for extention 28 days before expiry. Thankfully they didn't deduct his money!!! His visa expires end of this year (may be he sent way to early). I feel 3-4 months before expiry is safe bet.
I'm not sure how it happnd. The payment is taken by a different department than the verification dept. Payment is taken almost on the day of receipt of the document. So the only possibility of money not taken and the document sent back is if the payment department made that decision !!

rshelar
Member of Standing

1 Year on WP and 2 on Tier 1

Post by rshelar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 am

Hi,

My current Tier 1 visa is expiring in march 2012, so I will be completing 3 years on Tier 1 in march 2012. I was on Work Permit for 1 year before I applied for Tier 1.

However I am considering applying for an extension in March 2011 (2 years on Tier 1 and 1 year on WP now) but will still be having 1 year to go, so that means I will be applying 1 year earlier.

Should that cause any problems ? I know that I will lose 1 year on my existing Tier 1, but since I was on WP for one year before that I am hoping that and the remaining time on Tier 1 would count towards settlement ?

Thanks

rshelar
Member of Standing

Post by rshelar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Anyone have an update to my above question ??

themonsoonhunter

Post by themonsoonhunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:32 pm

My visa is expiring in the First week of Aug 2011, I am planning to apply for the extension sometime in late January. I don't care about 5 years period as I just need a month or two get PR. The reason why I am applying is that I moved to self-employment and bit uncertain about the future and now I can surely show my salary. This may also help me in getting new position.

What I don't want is to get my visa refused. If it gets refused by any chance, will I still be remain on the current visa and possibly reapply in future? Could you please suggest???