ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sham Marriage

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

fbkhan
Newly Registered

Sham Marriage

Post by fbkhan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Hello,

Was wondering if i could get some advise.

My cousin got married in an arranged marriage, which she was not happy about and was not happy after marriage either. Applied for spouse visa due to pressures from parents and family. When he was granted the visa, she initially phoned up to inform them. She later revoked her statement, again due to external pressures, and they let him enter the country. They lived in the same house but in seperate rooms and did not have a husband wife relationship. It was agreed that if she grants him ILR then only will he divorce her. I know she could have divorced him but in our culture it is a huge shame and it was difficult for her especially with the pressure she was under from family. Anyway his ILR application was initially denied but was later apealed and then granted. She has since got her divorce but he is making her life hell. I was wondering if she reported this sham marriage will she be penalised or imprisoned at all.

Thankyou would appreciate your comments

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:28 pm

if she reported this sham marriage will she be penalised or imprisoned at all.
That's what she should have done in the first place(I believe your cousin was over 21 at the time). Not after getting married to someone you are not happy with and put up with the marriage for up to 3 years to get ILR, then report the marriage as ''sham''
Live and let live

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:51 pm

To the original poster, there are organisations that help victims of forced marriage. Perhaps your cousin could talk to one to see what she can do to keep herself safe.