ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

reg passport reissue experience!

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

raghava39@rediffmail.com

reg passport reissue experience!

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi all,

My passport expires in about 4 months time. I am currently working in the UK on Tier-1. I would like to get my passport re-issued through Consulate at Birmingham . In this respect, I wanted to submit my application by post. Do any of the members have any experiences whether it is safe to do so and what additional precautions I should take. Please advise

I apologize if this is not the right section in the forum to post this query.

Thanks to all,

Regards
Raghav

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:22 am

Hi Raghav,

Submitting your passport for renewal is a common thing here as it is in India. There is no additional risk of any sort. Make sure you keep a copy of your passport and Tier 1 visa but apart from that you need nothing.

The Embassy should not take more than 3 days to a week if done in person but regarding the Royal Mail and posting the passport, its advisable to do this in person. Its best not to take a chance with the post, even if its Next Day Delivery and insured for £££s because if lost will be a headache.

I know of friends who have used the post and done their renewal and it was fine but I personally travelled into London and submitted it and also collected it in person. Why take a chance just to save 2 days leave from work - you will end up spending more money and holidays if it gets lost in the post :-)

KP

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:41 pm

raghava39@rediffmail.com wrote:Hi all,

My passport expires in about 4 months time. I am currently working in the UK on Tier-1. I would like to get my passport re-issued through Consulate at Birmingham . In this respect, I wanted to submit my application by post. Do any of the members have any experiences whether it is safe to do so and what additional precautions I should take. Please advise

I apologize if this is not the right section in the forum to post this query.

Thanks to all,

Regards
Raghav
And you are a citizen of .... ?

regards

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks Kenfrapin. I was trying to do it by special delivery and one of the prime reasons for the posting is that the embassy takes applications from 0930 to 1230 hrs as per the website. Hence I had thought of the postal option.

P.S: sincere apologies to moderators for posting in the wrong forum first

Cheers
Raghav

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:20 pm

raghava39@rediffmail.com wrote:one of the prime reasons for the posting is that the embassy takes applications from 0930 to 1230 hrs as per the website
Yes I know that. How far away from London do you live coz its best to arrive by 8am and stand in the line. I used to live in Bristol at the time and we took at train at 6am to be there by 8am :-)
I then took the train back once done and was in work post lunch. So basically 2 half day leaves and cost of train to get this done

But again, thats just my opinion. Royal Mail Special Delivery is absolutely safe 99% of the time. Ifyour luck is really bad and you fall in that unlucky 1%, Royal Mail will compensate you but the headache of getting things sorted with the Embassy will be your own and, I repeat, end up costlier than if you had gone in person for the renewal.

KP

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks a lot Ken. I live in Warwick so I need to go to Birmingham. I have already taken the special delivery envelopes, paid postage and taken even a postal order.

I am getting nervous about this thing. I was under the impression that being an insured post, it will go in without problem.

Did any of your friends face any problems while renewing by post, please let me know.

Regards
Raghav

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:10 am

I say again that the above was just MY opinion Raghav - Royal Mail Special Delivery is safe and yes they insure you but I hope you know whats the meaning of insurance? They only reimburse/make a monetary payment in case of any loss. RM are good no doubt but in case of any loss they wont help you get your passport re-issued.

I just checked and it takes about 40mins to get from Warwick to Birmingham by train - not sure why you want to take the risk when you can easily do this in person. If submitted in person it takes 3 days (if it hasnt changed now) and by post can take a week or more - so why all the hassles when you can just go in person and get it done?

Unless you have a very good reason for not going to Birmingham, its best tot do this in person (again, MY opinion as I dont want any hassles with passports) but many people using RM Special Delivery also had no problems (I only know of one friend who almost lost his passport and after chasing found it to be stuck at one post office)

KP

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks Ken. Your words of wisdom has sunk into my mind, so I took a day off today and submitted the passport reissue application. Believe me, it was like a breeze and now I am absolutely worry free and I am going to get back the new one within ten days

Once again Thanks a lot Ken

Regards
Raghav

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:25 pm

There you go - wasnt that easy and tension free :-)
Glad to be of assistance. Do check your new passport before leaving the Embassy as they are notorious in making obvious mistakes. I did not do so and realized on getting home and checking the address that they invented a brand new street just for me :roll:

KP