ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

malikhervas
Newly Registered

UKBA reference number

Post by malikhervas » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:45 am

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the very first question on Form AN (1.1).

Please give previous Immigration and Nationality Directorate or Border and Immigration Agency or UK Border Agency reference number.

Is this the number at the top of the ILR vignette I have or the Case ID number? Or neither?

Many thanks in advance.

sac

addresses

Post by sac » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:38 pm

hi,

quick and perhaps trivial question, but when listing residence addresses of the past five years, do we start with the current address? or (since the current address is already asked for on the prior page) do we list only previous addresses?

thanks!

BJ21

Re: addresses

Post by BJ21 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:09 pm

sac wrote:hi,

quick and perhaps trivial question, but when listing residence addresses of the past five years, do we start with the current address? or (since the current address is already asked for on the prior page) do we list only previous addresses?

thanks!
you need start from your current address.
regards

Idea

Question on AN form supporting documents

Post by Idea » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:24 pm

I plan to apply for wife's naturalisation just after my citizenship ceremony, i.e before getting my British Passport - (on the basis of 3yrs stay as a spouse of British citizen...)

supporting document for Section 6. (On page 15 of the application) says,

Husband's passport or birth certificate AND
Marriage certificate

question is can i show my Indian passport as evidence for the same ?

nax_72

Re: Question on AN form supporting documents

Post by nax_72 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Idea wrote:I plan to apply for wife's naturalisation just after my citizenship ceremony, i.e before getting my British Passport - (on the basis of 3yrs stay as a spouse of British citizen...)

Marriage certificate

In the application it is bit confusing by asking for the spouse passport. But in the guide it is clear on page 16 as follows:

APPLICATIONS MADE ON THE BASIS OF MARRIAGE OR CIVIL PARTNERSHIP TO A BRITISH CITIZEN
Evidence of a British citizenship
• The applicant’s husband’s, wife’s or civil partner’s passport or birth certificate or
Naturalisation/registration certificate AND
• The marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate

Idea

Post by Idea » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 am

nax_72 wrote:
Idea wrote:I plan to apply for wife's naturalisation just after my citizenship ceremony, i.e before getting my British Passport - (on the basis of 3yrs stay as a spouse of British citizen...)

Marriage certificate

In the application it is bit confusing by asking for the spouse passport. But in the guide it is clear on page 16 as follows:

APPLICATIONS MADE ON THE BASIS OF MARRIAGE OR CIVIL PARTNERSHIP TO A BRITISH CITIZEN
• The applicant’s husband’s, wife’s or civil partner’s passport or birth certificate or

applicant's husbands's passport - does it mean passport of country of origin or British passport ?

chiko14june
Newly Registered

Post by chiko14june » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Hello,
I received my ILR in September 2010. I have the PR issued on my British National (Oversea) passport. I'm going to apply for citizenship in coming September.

Just want to confirm I will have to use the form AN for my application?

And I have just seen on the UK Border Agency website
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/news- ... itizenship
"25 January 2011 Apply online system is now available
Our apply online system is now available, following the resolution of technical problems."
Anyone is interested?

Thanks in advance,
Chi

ukpl

Post by ukpl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:22 pm

chiko14june wrote:Hello,
I received my ILR in September 2010. I have the PR issued on my British National (Oversea) passport. I'm going to apply for citizenship in coming September.

Just want to confirm I will have to use the form AN for my application?

And I have just seen on the UK Border Agency website
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/news- ... itizenship
"25 January 2011 Apply online system is now available
Our apply online system is now available, following the resolution of technical problems."
Anyone is interested?

Thanks in advance,
Chi
this is for visas I think
for BC you need 2 referees so can't be done online

nax_72

Post by nax_72 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Idea wrote:
nax_72 wrote:

Marriage certificate

applicant's husbands's passport - does it mean passport of country of origin or British passport ?
It is the British passport after the following point:

• The applicant’s husband’s, wife’s or civil partner’s passport or birth certificate or Naturalisation/registration certificate

jagan
Newly Registered

Quick question

Post by jagan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:42 am

I am about to fill in form AN. I need advice on section 1.17 (Previous addresses).

1. Do i need to put the day or else just month and year?
2. I don't exactly remember the exact day, by I do know month and year.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks..

chiko14june
Newly Registered

Post by chiko14june » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 am

oh sorry my bad. I thought it could be used for citizenship application.
It is somehow misleading that they put "Apply online system is now available" under "Latest News: Citizenship"

nax_72

Post by nax_72 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:58 am

chiko14june wrote:oh sorry my bad. I thought it could be used for citizenship application.
It is somehow misleading that they put "Apply online system is now available" under "Latest News: Citizenship"
It is in the news because the system was down for a day two days ago. It was also in their news. When the system is up again they announce it.

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Guys,
Sorry, I didn't realise there is a sticky & for the lengthy post.
1. I stayed in 6 different addresses in uk in last 5 years
Q1: which previous address should be written first either 2010 or 2005?

Dates: 06/08/2008 to 03/08/2010
Address: 1

Dates: 01/11/2007 to 05/08/2008
Address:2

Dates: 01/09/2007 to 31/10/2007
Address:3

Dates: 01/08/2006 to 31/08/2007
Address: 4

Dates: 05/04/2006 to 31/07/2006
Address; 5

Is the above order correct?

Q2: While writing 6th address in page 13(page 4 got spaces only for 5 previous addresses) Is it ok if I write like this?

Section1: Personal Information
1.17 Previous addresses for past 5 years (continue to Page4)
Previous Address 6:
From 06/12/2005 to 04/04/2006
Flat2, Stoney Stanton road,
Coventry, CV14FH

2 In section 2: Residence requirements

Q1; I came to uk on 30/12/2003 on visitor visa, got converted to Permit free training in May2004 , then to HSMP(JR) on 10/02/2006 and ILR on 17/01/2010.
Is it ok if I write this as below? Or should I write date of arrival as 10/02/2006?

Date of arrival; 30/12/2003 Place: London Heathrow

Q2:
2.2: Details of absences….Should I write the most recent absence first?
Absence in 2011 or 2006?

I have other problem
My son is born in india. I applied for settlement visa for my son on 29/12/2010 ....still awaiting decision on that.
I am planning to apply for my Naturalisation on 9feb by post.

Following documents were submitted to british Deputy high commission in India
1. last 3 years P60,s & last 1 year payslips.

I just have my last 2 months payslips with me now. My passports(both old & new) got all the stamps covering 5 years period including ILR stamp. I passed life in uk test b4 my ILR.
I got a letter from my employer that i am in full time employement.
Will I need anything else? Should I wait till a decision is made on my son's application for P60's & Payslips?. Can someone help me resolving my queries please. Thank you very much for your help.
With regards

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 pm

pbs6vas, check my answers in red below:

1. I stayed in 6 different addresses in uk in last 5 years
Q1: which previous address should be written first either 2010 or 2005?

Dates: 06/08/2008 to 03/08/2010
Address: 1

Dates: 01/11/2007 to 05/08/2008
Address:2

Dates: 01/09/2007 to 31/10/2007
Address:3

Dates: 01/08/2006 to 31/08/2007
Address: 4

Dates: 05/04/2006 to 31/07/2006
Address; 5

Is the above order correct? YES, that looks OK

Q2: While writing 6th address in page 13(page 4 got spaces only for 5 previous addresses) Is it ok if I write like this?Also OK, no problem

Section1: Personal Information
1.17 Previous addresses for past 5 years (continue to Page4)
Previous Address 6:
From 06/12/2005 to 04/04/2006
Flat2, Stoney Stanton road,
Coventry, CV14FH

2 In section 2: Residence requirements

Q1; I came to uk on 30/12/2003 on visitor visa, got converted to Permit free training in May2004 , then to HSMP(JR) on 10/02/2006 and ILR on 17/01/2010.
Is it ok if I write this as below? Or should I write date of arrival as 10/02/2006?10/02/2006, Heathrow, London

Date of arrival; 30/12/2003 Place: London Heathrow

Q2:
2.2: Details of absences….Should I write the most recent absence first?
Absence in 2011 or 2006?Start with the most recent first

I have other problem
My son is born in india. I applied for settlement visa for my son on 29/12/2010 ....still awaiting decision on that.
I am planning to apply for my Naturalisation on 9feb by post.

Following documents were submitted to british Deputy high commission in India
1. last 3 years P60,s & last 1 year payslips.

I just have my last 2 months payslips with me now. My passports(both old & new) got all the stamps covering 5 years period including ILR stamp. I passed life in uk test b4 my ILR.
I got a letter from my employer that i am in full time employement.
Will I need anything else? Should I wait till a decision is made on my son's application for P60's & Payslips?. You only need your employer's names and TAX office reference

This is all u need and I think you should be fine

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:25 pm

Thank you very much.
I changed my visa status from permit fee training to HSMP(JR) while in uk. Should I still write HSMP date(10/02/2006) or My first date of Arrival to uk i.e 30/12/2003
cheers

Cisadi

Post by Cisadi » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:51 pm

I 2nd Jagan's post... Could someone please clarify if it is a must to put exact dates for previous addresses... Can we take date references from credit agencies and put the dates which match them ?

Cisadi

Post by Cisadi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:19 pm

In Section 3.5 (Address or tax office or tax office reference)

Is PAYE REFERENCE NUMBER from P60 correct for this ?

Or should I get Account PAYE reference number for the Employer ?

Camellia

Post by Camellia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:31 pm

Cisadi wrote:In Section 3.5 (Address or tax office or tax office reference)

Is PAYE REFERENCE NUMBER from P60 correct for this ?

Or should I get Account PAYE reference number for the Employer ?
PAYE reference number and tax office reference is the same thing, you can get it from your P60.

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:23 pm

Hello,
I & my wife both got ILR on 14/01/2010 after 4 yr HSMP JR.

My wife went to India to deliver my son on 12/06/2010. She delivered on 02/09/10. We applied for indian passport on 21/9/10 after the issue of birth certificate and passport finally got issued on 21/12/2010. Settlement visa applied on 29/12/2010 and recieved visa on 21/02/2011. I am going to india to bring them with me on 03/04/2011. I am planning to apply Naturalisation for myself and my son through NCS on 05/04/2011.
As a result of this my wife is going to be away for 9.5 months in total.
I saw in one of the threads that if one of the parents is away for more than 6months........kids application might not be considered. Is it true?
I got proof that it is not our fault. I have passport application reciept, date of issue of passport & visa to support this.
Is this really a problem for my son's application??
Do I need to submit any letter with my son's MN1 application, explaining reasons for her stay more than 6months. Does this help.
Thank you very much for ur help.
with regards,

spacetide
Newly Registered

British Citizenship

Post by spacetide » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:26 am

Hi everyone,

I have the following queries:

1. Do you think it would jeopardise the application for British Citizenship if the applicant is unemployed?
2. In the AN form, there is a column asking for the details of the applicant's job, and employers. If the applicant is unemployed, what is the best way to answer this column?

Many thanks.
Looking forward to your replies.

ukpl

Re: British Citizenship

Post by ukpl » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:00 am

spacetide wrote:Hi everyone,

1. Do you think it would jeopardise the application for British Citizenship if the applicant is unemployed? NO, unless you are applying on basis of exercising Treaty Rights as EU citizen but then it depends on your past and current situation
2. In the AN form, there is a column asking for the details of the applicant's job, and employers. If the applicant is unemployed, what is the best way to answer this column? homemaker

Many thanks.

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi everybody
I can’t remember exactly the dates i’ve moved couple time before, i mean i know plus-minus day or two but can’t be 100% sure. Do you think it might be a problem? :?

spacetide
Newly Registered

Post by spacetide » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Thanks for your reply. :)
In regard to your reply to my first question, will you be able to give examples of the past and current situation which might jeopardise the application? For your information, the applicant is not applying for British Citizenship on the basis of exercising Treaty Rights as EU citizen. She is applying on the basis of his indefinite leave to remain.
Would be very grateful to receive your further replies. Many thanks in advance :)

ukpl wrote:

1. Do you think it would jeopardise the application for British Citizenship if the applicant is unemployed? NO, unless you are applying on basis of exercising Treaty Rights as EU citizen but then it depends on your past and current situation
2. In the AN form, there is a column asking for the details of the applicant's job, and employers. If the applicant is unemployed, what is the best way to answer this column? homemaker

Many thanks.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

spacetide
Newly Registered

helps needed in replying form AN

Post by spacetide » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi everyone, my friend who is a housewife (unemployed) since one and half year ago would like to apply for british citizenship on the basis of her indefinite leave to remain. She is not applying on the basis of the Treaty. She is struggling to reply the first part of section 3 (page 9) of the AN form, she is in particularly struggling to answer 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, and 3.5. Please everyone, will anyone kind enough to suggest replies to these questions by taking into her current situation, ie. unemployed?
:(

ukpl

Post by ukpl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:13 pm

spacetide wrote:Thanks for your reply. :)
In regard to your reply to my first question, will you be able to give examples of the past and current situation which might jeopardise the application? For your information, the applicant is not applying for British Citizenship on the basis of exercising Treaty Rights as EU citizen. She is applying on the basis of his indefinite leave to remain.
Would be very grateful to receive your further replies. Many thanks in advance :)

ukpl wrote:

Many thanks.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
To exercise Treaty Rights one must be either in employment / self-employment or actively looking for a job or be a student or selfsufficient person or family member of someone who is exercising Treaty Rights. Just by merely living in the UK one doesn't fulfil those conditions: you either work or are rich or retired.
You can't just move into another EU contry without money and do nothing to claim Treaty Rights (you are then on 6 months tourist "visa").
But when you gain PR status (after 5 years) you are settled in the UK and Treaty becomes irrelevant: UK is now your home.
And being unemployed is not a reason to decline your application on itself.
So being unemployed prior to obtaining PR status and not actively looking for a job is damaging to your application 'cos they can say you have not got PR status (no full 5 years of exercising Treaty Rights).
Also, claiming Jobseekers Allowence is of detrimental effect.