ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA3 PR or Citizenship? Confused, need help.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

EEAwaiting
Newly Registered

EEA3 PR or Citizenship? Confused, need help.

Post by EEAwaiting » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:32 am

Hi,
My husband came from Lithuania(A8 ) to UK on 08/2003, his country joined EU in 2004. he lived in UK more than 7 years. I am from non-EEA country and got EEA2 RC in 2010, will expire 09/2015

But as I know, Lithuania will not allow 2 Nationality. If he apply for Citizenship directly based on 6 years living in uk without applying EEA3. Will I lose my EEA2 RC as he will lose Lithuania nationality?Then I have to leave UK to my country to apply sponsor Visa?

If he go for EEA3 now, after he get PR,will he need wait for 1 year to apply citizenship?

If he go for EEA3 get PR and wait for me to get PR through EEA4 in 2015, and then aplly for Citizenship together with me in 2016. It will take him 13 years to become UK Citizenship, it seems too long.

I also have 2 other questions:
First, my husband got WRS in 2004, the qualified period for him to apply for PR will include one year WRS or not.
Second, he was studing for 3 years in Uni, with part-time job, but did not pay tax. As I know student need fund provement and insurance. He got student loan for tution fee and living support, can I provide this instead of bank statement? But how can we buy the insurance now for the past years? as he did not buy any insurance, any suggestion?

I got confused, do not know which way is best for us.
I hope anyone here can help us. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by EEAwaiting on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:12 am

Why are you so keen on British Citizenship? For an EU-national it does not bring any real additional benefits.
I would plan for both of you to get Permanent Residency under the EEA Regulations and then keep it like that.
In May this year all transitional arrangements (like WRS) for A8-countries will disappear.
Your husband can also postpone the EEA3 application until he has five years as a worker (and therefore no worries about insurance), that is probably the easiest solution. PR sounds big, but it hardly makes any practical difference.

EEAwaiting
Newly Registered

Post by EEAwaiting » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 pm

fysicus wrote:Why are you so keen on British Citizenship? For an EU-national it does not bring any real additional benefits.
I would plan for both of you to get Permanent Residency under the EEA Regulations and then keep it like that.
In May this year all transitional arrangements (like WRS) for A8-countries will disappear.
Your husband can also postpone the EEA3 application until he has five years as a worker (and therefore no worries about insurance), that is probably the easiest solution. PR sounds big, but it hardly makes any practical difference.
Hi, Thanks for your reply.
We are keen on BC, Because I am non-EEA, and we are planning to have a baby soon. We would like our baby born by British passport and also want to cliam some benefits.

boloney

Post by boloney » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:27 pm

EEAwaiting wrote:
fysicus wrote:Why are you so keen on British Citizenship? For an EU-national it does not bring any real additional benefits.
Hi, Thanks for your reply.
We are keen on BC, Because I am non-EEA, and we are planning to have a baby soon. We would like our baby born by British passport and also want to cliam some benefits.
He should obtain his PR before baby is born,than baby will be born as BC

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Well, as you wrote earlier, for yourself BC is not possible before 2016, and I maintain that for your husband it does not really bring serious benefits.
You don't need to worry about the baby. The child will be entitled to British Citizenship as soon as one of the parents acquires Permanent Residency.
WHAT IF I HAVE A CHILD BORN IN THE UK?
A child born to you in the United Kingdom since 1 January 1983 who is not a British citizen may now be entitled to be registered as such a citizen and any child born to you while you remain settled here may be a British citizen automatically at birth.
(from the accompanying letter with a successfull PR application).

EEAwaiting
Newly Registered

Post by EEAwaiting » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:43 pm

fysicus wrote:Well, as you wrote earlier, for yourself BC is not possible before 2016, and I maintain that for your husband it does not really bring serious benefits.
You don't need to worry about the baby. The child will be entitled to British Citizenship as soon as one of the parents acquires Permanent Residency.
WHAT IF I HAVE A CHILD BORN IN THE UK?
A child born to you in the United Kingdom since 1 January 1983 who is not a British citizen may now be entitled to be registered as such a citizen and any child born to you while you remain settled here may be a British citizen automatically at birth.
(from the accompanying letter with a successfull PR application).
Hi, thanks for your kind reply.
Do you mean the baby's benefit depends on mother? even father have PR, we can not claim benefit for baby?

Do you know, if my husband apply BC, will I lose EEA2 RC?

Thank you very much:)

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:12 am

If the parents are married, the baby can get BC either via the father or via the mother. It is sufficient that one of the parents holds Permanent Residence.

I'm not sure what the consequences will be if your husband becomes BC. As I said before, I do not see the benefit of it in the first place (and it is a costly procedure as well), and if you are worried about adverse effects, just don't do it. I live in the UK as an EU citizen for more than 10 years already, and never felt the urge to apply for BC.