ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i remain on ILR permanently

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

barua

Can i remain on ILR permanently

Post by barua » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi All,
I have recently qualified to apply for citizenship. But Can i remain on ILR for a few more years(say another 5 years) and then apply if i want to?
Is there any rule that you have to apply and become citizen?
What happens to those whose citizenship is refused for some reason? Will their ILR status still remain?
thanks,
Barua

Helpseeker1
Newly Registered

Post by Helpseeker1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:32 pm

Yes u may remain on ILR forever if you wish.

There is no rule which says you must become a British Citizen

johnsienk
BANNED

Post by johnsienk » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:42 am

<deleted>
Last edited by johnsienk on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:10 am

Some people are here on ILR type status since 1965.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:48 am

There was no ILR in 1965. The 1971 Immigration Act came into force in 1973. People in the UK then were treated as if they had ILR if they needed "leave" leading of course to the inevitable fraudulent cases where people claimed to be in the UK before the relevant date to prevent deportation, as it was then.

People stay on ILR for all sorts of reasons. As far as I can work out it is often because they have a nationality that does not allow dual citizenship.

barua

Post by barua » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks to all for your reply.
Can i apply for citizenship in future if I want to? is there any rule which says you have to apply as soon as you qualify i.e. after 1 yr of ILR.
Also are there any benefits of citizenship other than one can travel within uk and to us without visa.
My nationality is Indian and there isn't dual citizenship, however there is PIO, not sure if its as good as dual citizenship and its benefits.
thanks,
Barua

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:46 am

barua wrote:Can i apply for citizenship in future if I want to? is there any rule which says you have to apply as soon as you qualify i.e. after 1 yr of ILR.
Can anyone tell you if the rules will remain the same in the future or change? No.
barua wrote:is there any rule which says you have to apply as soon as you qualify i.e. after 1 yr of ILR.
Presently, no.
Will it be introduced before you decide or become eligible to apply / in distant future? As above, no one can say.
barua wrote:Also are there any benefits of citizenship other than one can travel within uk and to us without visa.
Perhaps you need to look at British citizenship as a privilege rather than a "key to benefit(s)".
barua wrote:My nationality is Indian and there isn't dual citizenship, however there is PIO, not sure if its as good as dual citizenship and its benefits.
Search through this forum for information (already available) regarding Indian citizenship / OCI / PIO etc. Any further queries on the matter, please post in that forum.

regards