ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for a work permit from inside Canada

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Danny Wilde
Newly Registered

Applying for a work permit from inside Canada

Post by Danny Wilde » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Dear All,

My compliments on a very interesting and helpful forum.

I have read the 'sticky notes' and do not intend duplicating past queries 'similar' in nature. However, even after reading the FAQ and looking at the official Canadian government websites - I am still not 100% clear on the above-mentioned topic with respect to my particular situation.

I am a 44-year old Italian citizen and wish to travel to and work in Canada. I understand I do not need a temporary residence visa or permit (TRV/P) to enter Canada.

My question is, can I apply for a work permit from within Canada while there on vacation? I do understand that I would also need to satisfy other requirements like a valid job offer and related LMO/HRSDC documentation etc. So, my specific question is to know whether I could initiate the process 'while' in the country.

Grateful for any feedback in this respect

Regards
Danny

fibreman

Re: Applying for a work permit from inside Canada

Post by fibreman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Danny Wilde wrote:Dear All,

My compliments on a very interesting and helpful forum.

I have read the 'sticky notes' and do not intend duplicating past queries 'similar' in nature. However, even after reading the FAQ and looking at the official Canadian government websites - I am still not 100% clear on the above-mentioned topic with respect to my particular situation.

I am a 44-year old Italian citizen and wish to travel to and work in Canada. I understand I do not need a temporary residence visa or permit (TRV/P) to enter Canada.

My question is, can I apply for a work permit from within Canada while there on vacation? I do understand that I would also need to satisfy other requirements like a valid job offer and related LMO/HRSDC documentation etc. So, my specific question is to know whether I could initiate the process 'while' in the country.

Grateful for any feedback in this respect

Regards
Danny
If you are on vacation, as a tourist, I think you will not be able to get a work permit inside the country. Usually, the requirement is that you leave the country.

You could, for instance, go to US, just cross the border and sort it that way. You need not fly to Italy. As you don't need a visa for visit to US, this is simple solution.

In any case, the process can be lengthy, and you need a sponsoring employer, which you know.

giuseppenero

Post by giuseppenero » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:34 am

I agree with the first reply. You need to find someone to write you a job offer while you are outside the country. But you are lucky that at least you can enter the country freely and try to find someone to make an offer! Until a few years ago the Portuguese were also allowed in free until they abused the privilege by staying clandestinely and working on the black labour-market. Now they need a visa before they visit.
However, as an Italian, I'm quite confident that you would have a very good chance by applying for political asylum. I don't blame you for wanting to leave. By all accounts, Italy is the next African country to revolt.
Good Luck