ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

RC what line at the Airport, EU or international ???

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mzenzen

RC what line at the Airport, EU or international ???

Post by mzenzen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 am

hi guys,

i have read a few things on his forum regarding this issue, but i still don't know what is the final answer to this question!!
so for RC holders, coming back to the UK, are we taking the EU line or the International line and fill the entry card!!!????

can someone give a solid answer???

Thanks
mzenzen

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 am

With a RC you are allowed to use the EU line, and you are not required to fill in a landing card. The Immigration Officer should not stamp your passport.

Having said that, at the place where I (and my wife) arrive most of the time, the international line is often so much shorter (or not existent at all) that we voluntarily choose it anyway. If you have a competent IO they let us through and give as helpful advice that next time we could use the EU line, to which I then respond with a smile... Sometimes the IO is not so competent and I need to explain that a landing card and a stamp is not required, and in extreme cases of incompetency I ask for the Chief Immigration Officer.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:46 pm

I am sceptical about the ease with which this occurs - an IO sees an individual with what, on initial observation, looks like a non-EU passport approaching from the EU queue, the natural reaction is to say "Go join the non-EU queue!" before one has a chance to explain.

Don't know if I want to have to do that each time I go through the UK border. I thought I would but don't think i'll bother anymore if i'm travelling alone, unless the non-EU queue is extensive.

maviesk

Post by maviesk » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:03 pm

When travelling with my non EEA partner I am also ready to let rip when the IO starts going on about a landing card: 'he doesn't require a landing card or a stamp as he has an EEA family permit' I chant, it usually rings a bell, but if it doesn't, and they get bothersome, I simply demand to see the Chief Immigration Officer, that normally leads to them asking the IO across from them whether I'm right or not.. Haven't had any problems so far, but I'm more than prepared to kick up a fuss, and I think everyone should.

dhruv45in

Post by dhruv45in » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:04 am

Last time when i was entering UK the IO at manchester airport told me I could have entered through EU line. I waited 1.5 hrs in the normal queue and was told by the IO that i could have entered through EU line as I have the same rights as my spouse.

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 am

jackEM

Post by jackEM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:34 pm

Wow... That didn't go well, did it?
Correct me if i am wrong
I don't think the Rights attached to RC/PR are tempered in any way by joining different queue, rather its just organisational arrangement with appropriate qualified staff at appropriate desks....

But what is the purpose of filling in the landing card, what they do with those cards later on?
Stamp in the passport is quite understandable...

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 pm

Good point about the arrangement but it's more of a discrimination thing which the Directive expressly attempts to eradicate. U cannot ask an eea national/non-eea fam memb to do anyth which u wouldnt ask the brits.

As regards the cards, many people who have requested their files through SAR have said they are used as info on your previous travel history and kept with ur file, so i presume in a long run it's just for evidence purposes of your intentions when in the uk

jackEM wrote:Wow... That didn't go well, did it?
Correct me if i am wrong
I don't think the Rights attached to RC/PR are tempered in any way by joining different queue, rather its just organisational arrangement with appropriate qualified staff at appropriate desks....

But what is the purpose of filling in the landing card, what they do with those cards later on?
Stamp in the passport is quite understandable...