ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 years long residence applications

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kungfuman
Newly Registered

Post by kungfuman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:50 pm

abdu wrote:
kungfuman wrote:Hi Guys

Finally, Got the good news today. Cant tell you how I feel. The wait is over and life can now truly begin. This forum has been of huge help troughout. A more valuable tool that anything.

My story.
7 years Student, 1 PSW and remainder Tier 1.
No gaps.
Applied 19 Jan 2011
Acknowledgement letter: 21 Jan 11
Grated : 22 February 2011.
So a whole month.

Thank very much and I remain available to help if needed.

Cheers and keep the faith..there is good news down the line..

Praise the Lord..
Congrats man. Enjoy a visa free life now :D

Thanks man

kungfuman
Newly Registered

Re: Use solicitor or not?

Post by kungfuman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:16 pm

abdu wrote:
kungfuman wrote:
abdu wrote:Hello

Can anyone please advise whether to use a solicitor to apply for ILR application?
My Case seems to be straight forward.

Residence status:

8 Years Student
2 Years PSW.

I dont have any gaps or breaches.

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks
Then no need for a sollicitor....just make sure all documents are there and in order with a cover letter to make the review process easier for them..:)

Thanks kungfuman!!

Can you please share what documents did you enclose with your application, did you have any gaps at all when you made application?? Even if they were (Gaps) were just because the application was made through post?

Thanks
Hi Abdu

I kept it simple

-Passports
-Life in uk test
-summary of absences
-Letter from employer (not really required but can help boost case)
-Cover letter detailing content of application pack
-all photocopies as required

I had no gaps which made it a straightforward process. Saved myself a bundle by not hiring legal help.

Good luck

tbbcuk

Post by tbbcuk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I sent my application in late Dec 2010, ILR granted on 17 Feb 2011, collect the passport from my solicitor today! Very happy!

One thing is, my photo in the endorsement looks quite fuzzy compare to the one in my previous work permit. Does everyone find the same??

So now I can change my job?? does it affect me applying citizenship in the future?

joh118

Post by joh118 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:03 pm

tbbcuk wrote:Hi everyone,

I sent my application in late Dec 2010, ILR granted on 17 Feb 2011, collect the passport from my solicitor today! Very happy!

One thing is, my photo in the endorsement looks quite fuzzy compare to the one in my previous work permit. Does everyone find the same??

So now I can change my job?? does it affect me applying citizenship in the future?
congrats!

yeah, my photo on the ILR isn't the best quality either.

Yes you can change your job as many times s you like. But you may have to check the contract of your job as it may not allow you to quit immediately and no it won't affect citizenship.

tbbcuk

Post by tbbcuk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Thank you so so much for your speedy response joh118!!!!

tbbcuk

Post by tbbcuk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi everyone I just want to ask 2 quick questions here, on receive of my ILR, apart from the leaflet note attached which explains ILR, I didnt get any other formal document with my name on it saying 'You have been granted ILR etc etc....', am I suppose to have one?

Lastly, do I need to keep my Life in the UK Test Certificate for my British Citizenship application next year?

Many thanks

joh118

Post by joh118 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:46 pm

tbbcuk wrote:Hi everyone I just want to ask 2 quick questions here, on receive of my ILR, apart from the leaflet note attached which explains ILR, I didnt get any other formal document with my name on it saying 'You have been granted ILR etc etc....', am I suppose to have one?

Lastly, do I need to keep my Life in the UK Test Certificate for my British Citizenship application next year?

Many thanks
no, everyone gets that leaflet. It's not a proof of having ILR.

You won't need it again but you might as well keep it somewhere safe just in case....

Jay4you

Post by Jay4you » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:22 am

abdu wrote:
Jay Thanks very much for responding.

I think there is not much of choice for me right now, but just apply as it is hoping that they don't recognise the processing time as a gap.
Its a good idea though to mention it in covering letter.

Do you have any template for covering letter at all please if you can PM me, I will really appreciate.

Many Thanks.
Hi abdu,

I did not mention the gap in my Covering letter. I only mentioned my lost passport & dates I been out of uk in last 10 years period, so my covering letter won't do your case any good. Think the reason there is no standard cover letter template cause every case varies so much the you really need to write your own to explain your case.

abdu
Newly Registered

Post by abdu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:29 am

Jay4you wrote:
abdu wrote:
Jay Thanks very much for responding.

I think there is not much of choice for me right now, but just apply as it is hoping that they don't recognise the processing time as a gap.
Its a good idea though to mention it in covering letter.

Do you have any template for covering letter at all please if you can PM me, I will really appreciate.

Many Thanks.
Hi abdu,

I did not mention the gap in my Covering letter. I only mentioned my lost passport & dates I been out of uk in last 10 years period, so my covering letter won't do your case any good. Think the reason there is no standard cover letter template cause every case varies so much the you really need to write your own to explain your case.

Thanks Jay!!

Yes I agree on covering letter, it will differ from case to case, I will write my own.
Did you send any Bank statements/Gp registrations/ previous visa letters which came with renewals?

I do have everything with me, but since the application form doesn't ask for these docs, do you think its worth sending off P60's and GP regs, degrees and all that. I think it will create a bit extra work for case worker which might end up taking more time on process.

Can you please advise on section 5 of the SET(0) FORM please.

Thanks a lot.

afnan
Newly Registered

Re: Got ILR

Post by afnan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:35 am

jozzy wrote:Hi All

I don't know if this will help but I applied on the 29th January and received my ILR yesterday. ILR granted Feb 23.

Details

Student : 2001-2007
Work permit: 2007-2009
Tier 1: 2009-2011

No gaps,

Kind Regards
Jozzy
According to the guidelines one can apply 30 days before the completion of 10 years. When did you apply? After completing your 10 years fully or just before a month?

Thanks

abdu
Newly Registered

Post by abdu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:07 am

kungfuman wrote:
abdu wrote:
kungfuman wrote:
abdu wrote: Thanks
Hi Abdu

I kept it simple

-Passports
-Life in uk test
-summary of absences

I had no gaps which made it a straightforward process. Saved myself a bundle by not hiring legal help.

Good luck

Thanks Kungfu!!

Did you send any bank statements, P60's or GP regs?

The letter from Employer, should it be addressed to UBKA postal address with a subject of ILR or any general letter will do?

How did you fill up section 5 please?

Thanks

jozzy
Newly Registered

Re: Got ILR

Post by jozzy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:39 pm

afnan wrote:
jozzy wrote:Hi All

I don't know if this will help but I applied on the 29th January and received my ILR yesterday. ILR granted Feb 23.

Details

Student : 2001-2007
Work permit: 2007-2009
Tier 1: 2009-2011

No gaps,

Kind Regards
Jozzy
According to the guidelines one can apply 30 days before the completion of 10 years. When did you apply? After completing your 10 years fully or just before a month?

Thanks
Hi

I applied after completing the 10 years fully to be on the safe side.

Jozzy

Jay4you

Post by Jay4you » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:48 pm

abdu wrote:
Thanks Jay!!

Yes I agree on covering letter, it will differ from case to case, I will write my own.
Did you send any Bank statements/Gp registrations/ previous visa letters which came with renewals?

I do have everything with me, but since the application form doesn't ask for these docs, do you think its worth sending off P60's and GP regs, degrees and all that. I think it will create a bit extra work for case worker which might end up taking more time on process.

Thanks a lot.
Hi abdu,

I sent very limited documents with my application:

1) Passports
2) Attested photocopies of my lost passport.
3) Life in the UK test
4) Cover letter explaining my lost passport situation & highlighting dates I was out of UK during 10 year period.

That's about it actually. I know many guys here have sent there pay slips, bank statements & letter from GP/employers etc with there application but frankly for 10 years ILR the form never asked for them. Nothing wrong with sending extra stuff off course but I decided to stick with specifically what's asked in the form.

Section 5 clearly states "You are not required to complete this section if you are applying in the ex-HM Forces, long residence in the UK or bereaved partner categories"

So you don't need to fill that section, if you are applying for 10 year Long residence in the UK.

kungfuman
Newly Registered

Post by kungfuman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:55 pm

Jay4you wrote:
abdu wrote:
Thanks Jay!!

Thanks a lot.
Hi abdu,

1) Passports
3) Life in the UK test
4) Cover letter explaining my lost passport situation & highlighting dates I was out of UK during 10 year period.

That's about it actually. I know many guys here have sent there pay slips, bank statements & letter from GP/employers etc with there application but frankly for 10 years ILR the form never asked for them. Nothing wrong with sending extra stuff off course but I decided to stick with specifically what's asked in the form.

Section 5 clearly states "You are not required to complete this section if you are applying in the ex-HM Forces, long residence in the UK or bereaved partner categories"

So you don't need to fill that section, if you are applying for 10 year Long residence in the UK.
Couldnt agree more..best to stick to what is required!

kungfuman
Newly Registered

Post by kungfuman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:01 am

abdu wrote:
kungfuman wrote:
abdu wrote:
kungfuman wrote:
Hi Abdu

I kept it simple

-Passports
-Life in uk test
-summary of absences

Good luck

Thanks Kungfu!!

Did you send any bank statements, P60's or GP regs?

The letter from Employer, should it be addressed to UBKA postal address with a subject of ILR or any general letter will do?

How did you fill up section 5 please?

Thanks
Didnt send any of those.

As for the letter, it may be addressed to the UKBA or simply have the header "to whom it may concern".

Choice of subject is entirely up to you..the most important is the body of the document.

No need to fill section 5 as it states :
You are not required to complete this section if you are applying in the ex-HM Forces, long residence in the UK or bereaved partner categories.

Hope it helps.. Cheers

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Post by Eastender14 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 am

Jay4you wrote:
abdu wrote:
Thanks Jay!!

Thanks a lot.
Hi abdu,

1) Passports
3) Life in the UK test

Hi Abdu,

Though section 5 is not required to be completed, it does however point out that you are an independent person who is renting his flat/room. In my case I completed that section and also requested a letter from my employer. if you are working, ensure you send copies of payslip and previous P60s too. I also had a gap but I did not mention that in my covering letter. It's up to the case worker to discuss the issue further if necessary, otherwise if he's not bothered, neither am i!

Eastender14
- thin ice -

New Rules Mid March 2011

Post by Eastender14 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:45 am

Dear All,

I heard from a source that new rules will come into effect in mid-March. Has anyone got any idea how this will affect:

1. Those on ILR, route to citizenship.
2. What will replace the probationary period that was due on 1 July 2011.
3. Those on T1/T2 who was previously allowed to apply for ILR after 5 years.
4. Students right for settlement.
5. How the above will affect spouse and family settlement rights.

joh118

Re: New Rules Mid March 2011

Post by joh118 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 am

Eastender14 wrote:Dear All,

I heard from a source that new rules will come into effect in mid-March. Has anyone got any idea how this will affect:

1. Those on ILR, route to citizenship.
2. What will replace the probationary period that was due on 1 July 2011.
3. Those on T1/T2 who was previously allowed to apply for ILR after 5 years.
4. Students right for settlement.
5. How the above will affect spouse and family settlement rights.
1. nothing announced. I don't think it will change.
2. nothing yet. unlikely to change much
3. upcoming changes. likely to affect many on these visas.
4. nothing announced but likely to change.
5. how can it affect? unlikely to change.

rogerdoger
Newly Registered

Re: SET (o) 10 year

Post by rogerdoger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:05 pm

rogerdoger wrote:Hey guys,

Posted my application today - 24/01/2011

The wait begins...

Hey guys just received a call from Home Office liverpool office, they wanted to confirm the address to send the documents back (as i had given a different address for correspondence) - the lady after confirming my name started the conversation by saying your application for ILR has been concluded and a it has been SUCCESSFUL you will receive your docs back in the next few days...

Mind you, my case had a slight complication please check this thread for more info

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=69968

Following all the research I drafted a letter myself, explaining to HO why the ILR should be granted .. I only posted the application just over 4 weeks ago and I got a confirmation today .. she mentioned look out for your docs they should be arriving in the next few days..

This forum helped me so much when I needed it thanks to all the members specially Vinny and Victoria they helped me find the arguments to put in the letter i drafted .. ok im out to celebrate now

Wishing good luck to all those still waiting ..

joh118

Post by joh118 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:04 pm

congrats! Nice to see another non-straightforward applicant getting granted!

Just goes to show it is possible!

abdu
Newly Registered

Interactive online application form!!!

Post by abdu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:03 am

Hello Guys!!

Thank you very much indeed for all your responses, I am completely confused now whether to fill up section5 or no and whether to send documents like bank statments, employers letter,P60's or no.

I have just came across this online interactive form which doesnt even have section 5, and it asks to make payment instantly and upload it.

Has anyone used it so far? Any suggesstions if its better to apply online so as to confirm the payment has been deducted, and sticking to the main questions being asked in the form.

Thanks

Abdu

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Re: Interactive online application form!!!

Post by Eastender14 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:55 pm

abdu wrote:Hello Guys!!

Thank you very much indeed for all your responses, I am completely confused now whether to fill up section5 or no and whether to send documents like bank statments, employers letter,P60's or no.

I have just came across this online interactive form which doesnt even have section 5, and it asks to make payment instantly and upload it.

Has anyone used it so far? Any suggesstions if its better to apply online so as to confirm the payment has been deducted, and sticking to the main questions being asked in the form.

Thanks

Abdu
Hi Abdu,

I think you're filling the new form which is on word document. If under the 10 year option, there is no room for section 5 then you should not worry. Just fill the form and submit it online with your payment details. The funds will be taken from your debit or credit card.

Then you should print your form and submit all the documents required. If you wish, you may voluntarily add extra info as stated above which will enhance the credibility of your application. On the other hand, if you wish not to, it should not be detrimental to you either.

Golden rule is to follow the guidance notes. Good luck

abdu
Newly Registered

Post by abdu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Eastender14 wrote:
abdu wrote:
Hi Abdu,

I think you're filling the new form which is on word document. If under the 10 year option, there is no room for section 5 then you should not worry. Just fill the form and submit it online with your payment details. The funds will be taken from your debit or credit card.

Then you should print your form and submit all the documents required. If you wish, you may voluntarily add extra info as stated above which will enhance the credibility of your application. On the other hand, if you wish not to, it should not be detrimental to you either.

Eastender!!

Brother thanks for your quick response, I appreciate it. The form is in PDF format and you are correct in saying that its not giving option to fill section 5.
As you said that the extra docs will enhance the credibility of application, do you recommend to apply using printed SET(O) Version 10/2010? since it will give option to fill section 5.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:01 pm

just got the aknowledgement of my SAR request. On the heading, it says "Re: [My Name], [My DOB], China" I am not from China....

I have included a copy of my passport ID page and a copy of my ILR....

Hopefully that will be enough to identify me properly.
They aknowledge that they got the request on 24/02 so let's see if they can get it to me on time.

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Post by Eastender14 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:45 am

abdu wrote:
Eastender14 wrote:
abdu wrote:
Hi Abdu,

Eastender!!

Brother thanks for your quick response, I appreciate it. The form is in PDF format and you are correct in saying that its not giving option to fill section 5.
As you said that the extra docs will enhance the credibility of application, do you recommend to apply using printed SET(O) Version 10/2010? since it will give option to fill section 5.
Do NOT use printed version as these are now obsolete. You need to print the form you sent online. Additional information may be highlighted in a covering letter addressed to the case worker.