ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel Insurance??

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sbalaji
Newly Registered

Travel Insurance??

Post by sbalaji » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi

My wife and I are coming to UK from India on 16th Feb on Tier 1 visa. We are planning to take a Travel insurance for some 3 - 6 months tenure, which we believe would be worst-case duration to get a job. Does anyone have any idea of a good travel insurance here in India?

I know of icicilombard and reliance travel insurance. Anyone has good / bad experiences with any of them?

Thanks
Sankar

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:01 pm

You may want to check whether the travel insurance covers you if you take up residence in another country (most covers you for "visits" only) and the maximum coverage days

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:56 pm

Suggest you take single trip allowance from any Indian company to cover your journey from India to the UK.
Once here, there are lots of options to chose from - as mentioned above, insurances are mostly applicable if you are resident in the country where you take it - so come here and take a long term one

KP

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:19 pm

I use ICICI lombard on my visits to the UK
There is a section on the application form that asks if you are travelling on an immigrant visa - try this online and you will see if you can take insurance
http://www.icicibank.com/Personal-Banki ... TRAVEL-INS
pennyless

giuseppenero

private insurance

Post by giuseppenero » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 am

Just wondering, if a foreigner has a contact in the UK, could the contact not purchase the health insurance for the visitor/immigrant, as is the case in other countries?
Or, with no contact, couldn't the immigrant in this case Sankar, purchase from a local British insurer online? Wouldn't he rather deal with any claims with a local insurer rather than the one back in India?