ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

London accommodation

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Peter Kartalov
Newly Registered

London accommodation

Post by Peter Kartalov » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:02 pm

I am planning to to move to London from New York, and was wondering if there is a way to book a flat share($50-$70/week) accommodation prior to my arrival in London. Has anyone done that? I am looking for something cheap and short term, but not a hotel.
Thanx

John

Post by John » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:04 pm

Peter, not necessarily quite as cheap as you might hope but have a look at Loot - flatshare

Of course if your possible flatmates will approve of you if they have never met you is another matter altogether.
John

Peter Kartalov
Newly Registered

Post by Peter Kartalov » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:13 pm

I am more concearned if it is posssible to secure the acccommodation on line or over the phone. Somebody must have been through this before me>
Thanx for the help
Peter

giuseppenero

flat frauds

Post by giuseppenero » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 am

Not impossible but I think it would be tough to secure a flatshare online without a deposit first. You and your prospective flat-mate will have to convince each other of your trusty-worthy-ness. And that's the problem whether online or even by phone. I've seen quite a few scammers online asking for big deposits for fantom rentals. To the unsuspecting foreigner they can reek havoc!
The £20 bed&breakfast might be your safest bet until you can actually see a flatshare and meet the person.

giuseppenero

expensive london

Post by giuseppenero » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:48 am

Is New York so cheap ($50-$70/wk). or maybe you meant £ as in British pounds, cause you'll have to pay in pounds. $1.65 will buy you only £1.
Even in pounds, (50-70/wk.) would be a tough find..
Bring a big sackfull of dollars for London.

Mariam79
Newly Registered

Post by Mariam79 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:47 am

I live in London and also rent two rooms so first the price you mentioned is far to low, for a decent room you should consider at least £80 to £100 a week and that is cheap and not the best of standard

Don't rent anything while your still in New York, book yourself into a hostel or a cheap hotel for 2 or 3 nights and then look for a room when you are here. The renting market specially for rooms is very fast here and it is not a problem at all to find something in a day if your expectations are not to high.

simply go to the high street of your area of choice and look at the windows of the smaller shops, there are plenty of adds for rooms

giuseppenero

outdated

Post by giuseppenero » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Dear Mariam and anybody else reading the question:
We should have noted the original date of this entry..2005!!!
I'm sure John doesn't need advice any more.
But I wonder why a 2005 entry is at the top of the list, or on the list at all?

Mariam79
Newly Registered

Post by Mariam79 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:04 pm

ups, thanks for letting us know, I thought its a new topic as it was on top of the list :oops: maybe anyone else can still use the information 8)