ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

OCI_UK
Newly Registered

Surrender certificate not needed for OCI?

Post by OCI_UK » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:35 pm

We became British citizens 5yrs ago. When we applied for our first visit visa at that time, HCI cancelled our indian passports and returned them to us. Now we want to apply for OCI, So I approached VFS if they can Issue us a surrender certificate. They advise I need to contact HCI as SC is issued only on uncancelled or expired passports. When I contacted HCI they say we need SC. But when I ask them to issue me SC they ask me to contact VFS. So I'm going in circles between these both offices with no resolution in site. Irony is SC is not needed for visit visa in our case. Please can anyone suggest any useful idea to resolve this.

Thanks.

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Re: Surrender certificate not needed for OCI?

Post by gainvidya » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:46 pm

OCI_UK wrote:We became British citizens 5yrs ago. When we applied for our first visit visa at that time, HCI cancelled our indian passports and returned them to us. Now we want to apply for OCI, So I approached VFS if they can Issue us a surrender certificate. They advise I need to contact HCI as SC is issued only on uncancelled or expired passports. When I contacted HCI they say we need SC. But when I ask them to issue me SC they ask me to contact VFS. So I'm going in circles between these both offices with no resolution in site. Irony is SC is not needed for visit visa in our case. Please can anyone suggest any useful idea to resolve this.

Thanks.
Man you are F****. You are dealing with Indian legal authority the most corrupt and selfish lots in the world. All the best.

OCI_UK
Newly Registered

Post by OCI_UK » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:21 pm

gainvidya wrote: Man you are F****. You are dealing with Indian legal authority the most corrupt and selfish lots in the world. All the best.
I don't mean to be rude but using an F word in response is uncalled for. We all know well about the bureaucracy in these offices. I'm asking for a 'useful' idea in dealing with this situation not a 'useless rant'.

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:39 pm

OCI_UK wrote:
gainvidya wrote: Man you are F****. You are dealing with Indian legal authority the most corrupt and selfish lots in the world. All the best.
I don't mean to be rude but using an F word in response is uncalled for. We all know well about the bureaucracy in these offices. I'm asking for a 'useful' idea in dealing with this situation not a 'useless rant'.
So let me expand this again for you, you will need to visit London embassy 'n' number of times and wait for more than 6 months in all. All the best....

Dont forgot to read the list of corruptions. These very bureaucratic indians officials are not ashamed of committing disgusting crime which runs in Billions.

OCI_UK
Newly Registered

Post by OCI_UK » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:31 pm

So let me expand this again for you, you will need to visit London embassy 'n' number of times and wait for more than 6 months in all. All the best....

> care to provide a source for your assertion?

Dont forgot to read the list of corruptions. These very bureaucratic indians officials are not ashamed of committing disgusting crime which runs in Billions.

> I'm sure many people share your anguish. But I fail to understand how is this relevant to my original question?

OCI_UK
Newly Registered

Post by OCI_UK » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:30 am

We became British citizens 5yrs ago. When we applied for our first visit visa at that time, HCI cancelled our indian passports and returned them to us. Now we want to apply for OCI, So I approached VFS if they can Issue us a surrender certificate. They advise I need to contact HCI as SC is issued only on uncancelled or expired passports. When I contacted HCI they say we need SC. But when I ask them to issue me SC they ask me to contact VFS. So I'm going in circles between these both offices with no resolution in site. Irony is SC is not needed for visit visa in our case. Please can anyone suggest any useful idea to resolve this.
Please can any one advise what is the endorsement they make on cancelled passport when VFS returns it along surrender certificate.

On mine it is "passport cancelled on acquisition of British nationality"?

Thanks

Gaj
Newly Registered

Cancelled stamp

Post by Gaj » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:35 pm

That is what they will write. If they cancel the provious passport for a new Indian one thenit is simply stamped CANCELLED
and the in the observations page they will write
"The holder has previously travelled on passport no ----- dt ----
issued at --- which was

1. Cancelled and returned to the holder
2. presented in a damaged condition Cancelled and returned to the holder
3. which has been reported lost.

Hope this helps.

OCI_UK
Newly Registered

Post by OCI_UK » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Many thanks Gaj. You are right. However I'm looking for what is stamped on the returned passport for Surrender Certificate application. My issue is VFS is not accepting my application as I cancelled already long before 31.05.2010 and they issue surrender certificate only to people who acquired foreign citizenship after 01.06.2010. Please can any one who cancelled their passport recently advise the endorsement HCI makes on the passport?

It is odd that they want to cancel my passport twice, when I have duly followed the process and never misused the passport for travel to India after becoming BC. Problem is there is a mismatch between what HCI says and the VFS procedure, particularly in my case.

Allview
Newly Registered

OCI from VFS?

Post by Allview » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:56 pm

Hello All,

I am going to surrender my India passport to VFS Victoria office. Can I also apply for my OCI from the same VFS Victoria office or do I need to go to HCI London near Holborn?

Please advise.

All view

geriatrix

Re: OCI from VFS?

Post by geriatrix » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:50 am

Allview wrote:Hello All,

I am going to surrender my India passport to VFS Victoria office. Can I also apply for my OCI from the same VFS Victoria office or do I need to go to HCI London near Holborn?

Please advise.

All view
HCI.

regards

Allview
Newly Registered

Re: OCI from VFS?

Post by Allview » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:05 am

Thank you for response. Do I need to go early morning to secure Token or can go at convenient time?

Thanks
All view

sushdmehta wrote:
Allview wrote:Hello All,

Please advise.

All view
HCI.

regards

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:51 pm

You can surrender Indian passport at any of VFS offices.

But OCI application can only be done from HCI London/Birmingham/Edinburgh.

You will get your cancelled Indian passports back with REVOKED stamp and cut corners in cover page. Just in case you have any emotional values with the passport :)

techy123
Newly Registered

Surrendering Indian Passport

Post by techy123 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi

I am planning to send and apply (through POSTAL application) for surrendering Indian passports to VFS Global Services UK branch.

Could someone clarify my queries regarding the application for surrendering Indian passports in UK.

1. I have checked the VFS global services website for the application. In this application who can sign for the children Under 18 years. Shall parent can sign the form on behalf of children. Is this Ok?

2. If I apply by post, any idea about how many days it would take for the application process completion and for sending back the surrender certificate to me.

3. For Postal application, should I send to VFS global services, HAYES branch only.. right? Please confirm this.

thanks in advance.

acsrjsk
Newly Registered

surrender

Post by acsrjsk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi

Just to double check I can go in person and surrender my passport at the hayes office? This is easier for me instead of post as I live just down the road from there.

Many thanks

Jai

krazydude
Member of Standing

Re: surrender

Post by krazydude » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:22 pm

acsrjsk wrote:Hi

Just to double check I can go in person and surrender my passport at the hayes office? This is easier for me instead of post as I live just down the road from there.

Many thanks

Jai
Yes

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:07 pm

I have a qquestion on a similar front. Once I acquire British citizenship does my Indian passport need to be surrendered before applying for a British passport? Will I not have to send them my Indian passport when applying for a British one?

krish.venugopal

Mistakes in certificate

Post by krish.venugopal » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:13 am

Hi,

I had applied for surrender certificate for my kid, wife and myself.
It took 12 working days for VFS in London to issue the surrender Certificate, and to my dismay all the certificates had mistakes like wrong date for passport issuance, Fathers name misspelt.

Our names are correct, our passport numbers both Indian and British are correct, its just the date of issuance and parents name that are misspelt.

Is this going to cause a problem while applying for OCI? anyone had any experience similar to this? To get this corrected I need to visit the VFS office again and fill up a form, then go there after a week or two to collect the corrected certificates...

:shock:

krish.venugopal

Post by krish.venugopal » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:17 am

drjabberwocky23 wrote:I have a qquestion on a similar front. Once I acquire British citizenship does my Indian passport need to be surrendered before applying for a British passport? Will I not have to send them my Indian passport when applying for a British one?
I applied for my British passport first and then surrendered my Indian Passport.
Yes you need to send your Indian passport with ILR entry whilst applying for British passport, I used the Post Office Check and Send, this process was very straightforward, no hassles.

HTH

krazydude
Member of Standing

Re: Mistakes in certificate

Post by krazydude » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:13 am

krish.venugopal wrote:Hi,

It took 12 working days for VFS in London to issue the surrender Certificate, and to my dismay all the certificates had mistakes like wrong date for passport issuance, Fathers name misspelt.

Our names are correct, our passport numbers both Indian and British are correct, its just the date of issuance and parents name that are misspelt.

Is this going to cause a problem while applying for OCI? anyone had any experience similar to this? To get this corrected I need to visit the VFS office again and fill up a form, then go there after a week or two to collect the corrected certificates...

You will need to get your name and other details corrected on the surrender certificate. When I went to collect my surrender certificate there was a couple at VFS with a similar situation (wrong names/details). They had re-submitted their application to get the details corrected and were there to collect their surrender certificate.

If there is any discrepancy on the surrender certificate and your OCI app form, they might not accpet your OCI app or it will lead to delays in getting your OCI.

krish.venugopal

Re: Mistakes in certificate

Post by krish.venugopal » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:06 pm

krazydude wrote:
krish.venugopal wrote:Hi,

You will need to get your name and other details corrected on the surrender certificate. When I went to collect my surrender certificate there was a couple at VFS with a similar situation (wrong names/details). They had re-submitted their application to get the details corrected and were there to collect their surrender certificate.

If there is any discrepancy on the surrender certificate and your OCI app form, they might not accpet your OCI app or it will lead to delays in getting your OCI.
Thanks.

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:42 pm

krish.venugopal wrote:
drjabberwocky23 wrote:I have a qquestion on a similar front. Once I acquire British citizenship does my Indian passport need to be surrendered before applying for a British passport? Will I not have to send them my Indian passport when applying for a British one?
I applied for my British passport first and then surrendered my Indian Passport.
Yes you need to send your Indian passport with ILR entry whilst applying for British passport, I used the Post Office Check and Send, this process was very straightforward, no hassles.

HTH
Thank you very much for your reply - that does make sense!

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi,

Can you pls tell how long it will take for surrender certificate to be issued if we applied in person at vfs in London?. It is more than a week for me now and the web site still says as processing.

krish.venugopal

Post by krish.venugopal » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:12 am

shajacksha wrote:Hi,

Can you pls tell how long it will take for surrender certificate to be issued if we applied in person at vfs in London?. It is more than a week for me now and the web site still says as processing.
Usually takes about 5-7 working days, After waiting for 8 working days and checking the web site status I emailed them and got a response in less than 24 hours stating that my certificate is ready and can be collected.

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks, that is what i am going to do as it is already 7 days. Will keep this forum updated on the progress.

deepa82
Newly Registered

Post by deepa82 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:57 am

hi,

I surrendered my husbands passport on the 8th march and have also contacted VFS via email and all they can say is that they do not know how long it will take. :shock:

There website states 5/6 working days which we can see is surely not the case, and it seems impossible to find out any information as to what is happening.

has anyone recently applied to the London VFS office? How long has the process taken?