ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax & Partner

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

allta

Council Tax & Partner

Post by allta » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi Fellows,

I have a question on Council Tax....in the last 5 years, I've lived either in a shared rented apartment or with a friend/relative.

I read that Council Tax is one of the things HO will check to make sure one is not evading them. Although, I paid Council Tax on my Buy-to-Let property while it was vacant, but in most places I've personaly rented, the Landlords have always included council tax+bills+rent, so as such I don't have records with the local councils as to council tax, which I believe is the sole responsibility of the landlords.

So, my question is, should I be worried over this? or should I contact the local councils of my previous addresses as to make sure there is council tax record which the HO will probably ask for? I'm confused and will need help.

My other question is that I just got married, and my partner currently lives abroad, I spent about 75days for Honeyymoon/Holiday with her abroad, but she will join me in the UK later this year, how am I supposed to proof that I don't intend to join her abroad?

Allta
No man can be an Island of Knowledge, a Tree doesn't make a forest

johnsienk
BANNED

Post by johnsienk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by johnsienk on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

allta

Post by allta » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:39 pm

johnsienk wrote:>>which I believe is the sole responsibility of the landlords.

The exact opposite the case.
Thanks for your reply Johnsienk, but I don't think that's always correct....for example on Lewisham city council tax website:
Who is liable to pay council tax

Each dwelling receives one council tax bill, regardless of what kind of home it is and whether it is owned or rented.

If only one person lives in a dwelling, he or she will be the person liable to pay council tax.

If two or more people live in a dwelling, there is a hierarchy to work out who is liable to pay.

The person highest on this list is responsible for paying the council tax bill:
a resident owner-occupier who owns either the leasehold or freehold of all or part of the property
a resident statutory or secure tenant
a resident licensee
a resident
an owner where no one is resident.
Most of these apartments are shared, and the last one I rented, the other guy in the house collects money from everyone of us and pay the council.

I'm thinking HO will just ask if I owe council tax, not if I was the one paying them.......am I correct to think this?

johnsienk
BANNED

Post by johnsienk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:41 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by johnsienk on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnsienk
BANNED

Post by johnsienk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:44 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by johnsienk on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allta

Post by allta » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:56 pm

johnsienk wrote:If you do not owe any tax, you have nothing to worry about.
No, not at all. I even called the council where I have my Buy-to-let property, and they confirmed there is no arrears on my account.

All I want to confirm is that HO will not ask who paid, they will only ask if I owed Council tax from these councils, of which I didn't owe.

What about the Partner's bit of my question? In the case notes, the first condition says if the residence requirements are met by me, then I'm fine....well, at least that's what I'd like to think. Pls see reference here...
2.1 If applicants say their intention is to have their home or (if more than one) their
principal home in the United Kingdom, we should accept that they meet the
requirement if:
• they meet the residence requirements, without the need to exercise any
discretion to accept excess absences, ignoring excess absences up to 30
days; or
• they have an established home here (either owned or rented); or
• they have been, or intend to be, absent from the United Kingdom for not more
than six months; and
• the absence was, or will be, clearly temporary (e.g. for a holiday or business
travel); and
• if it is an intended absence, we are satisfied they intend to return to the United
Kingdom; and
• they have maintained an established home here where any close family who
have not accompanied them abroad have continued to live; or
• there is no information to cast doubt on their intention, for example:
i. a spouse/partner who is, or intends to become, resident abroad (see sub
paragraphs 2.2.5 - 2.2.7 below); or
ii. a recent (or proposed) absence from the country for a period of more than six
months (see paragraph 2.3 below)
As I've only used 75days in the last 12months, I believe I'm ok on this front? right?

Thanks for your comments.
Allta

khankhattak

Post by khankhattak » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:55 am

Can it create problems if someone appliyng for naturalization on marreige route and he is on single person discount on council tax thanks
plz let me know if im saying anything incorrect

allta

Post by allta » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:12 pm

khankhattak wrote:
Can it create problems if someone appliyng for naturalization on marreige route and he is on single person discount on council tax thanks
You know, I've been searching but have been unable to find someone who was rejected based on not paying council tax.

There are two different issues here, one is if the council has a record that you refused to pay council tax bills, that's what the HO wouldn't take likely, just like most other non attended debts.

But the other case is when the council doesn't even have a record and an account for you. I believe they overlook the latter, since even those full time house wife/husbands are not expected to be paying council tax esp. when they're unemployed.

I believe the only problem is when council issues a council tax bill and someone refuses to pay it is when problem could happen. But like I said earlier there has been insufficient cases to make conclusions.

allta

Post by allta » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:50 am

Has anyone had or heard of cases refused due to council tax esp. those who lived in shared/rented apartments?

I've sent in my application but I'm really worried about this. Maybe I should call all previous council where I lived and explain that the landlords included council tax within rent.....seriously I need someone's suggestion to ease my mind.

Many Thanks
Allta

khankhattak

Post by khankhattak » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:33 am

allta wrote:Has anyone had or heard of cases refused due to council tax esp. those who lived in shared/rented apartments?

I've sent in my application but I'm really worried about this. Maybe I should call all previous council where I lived and explain that the landlords included council tax within rent.....seriously I need someone's suggestion to ease my mind.

Many Thanks
Allta
check 7.2 of this guide may u get some thing
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
plz let me know if im saying anything incorrect

allta

Post by allta » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:22 am

khankhattak wrote:
allta wrote:Has anyone had or heard of cases refused due to council tax esp. those who lived in shared/rented apartments?

Many Thanks
Allta
check 7.2 of this guide may u get some thing
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
Many thanks, I read section 7.9 of the guide already (concerning non payment of council tax). My question is will the shared accommodation situation whereby council taxes were "inclusive" impact my application? This is because I lived in 4 different councils in last 5yrs and all shared accommodation had council tax inclusive within the rent. So didn't bother to register with local authorities. Can this be seen as Non-payment/Evasion of Concil tax? Anyone applied who had this situation?