ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
terriblescream wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:• Post study workers will not be able to bring dependants with them, unless they were already here whilst they were a student. .

Is this true, PSW holders cannot bring in dependants ??!! and if yes where can i refer to it ?!! I wanted my wife to join me since I will be on PSW next month
I don't believe this is correct. Tier 4 where did you read that psw holders will not be able to bring their dependents?
I think its true but I'll wait till 31st March for exact changes to be announced.
Where have you got this information from? Yes people need to wait until 31st March but it doesn't help if unfounded rumours go around in the meantime.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:46 pm

This is not an unfounded rumour, I did read somewhere(apart from Tier4 msg), exactly where I can't remember !!!!

Anyway, its only 4 days and rules will be in Black and White.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:09 pm

terriblescream wrote:Is this true, PSW holders cannot bring in dependants ??!! and if yes where can i refer to it ?!! I wanted my wife to join me since I will be on PSW next month
Greenie wrote:I don't believe this is correct. Tier 4 where did you read that psw holders will not be able to bring their dependents?
The details info that UKBA will publish on 31st of March has already been issued to Colleges and Universities. I had a few arguments with my international student officer she gave me all the relevant details and this info was in it. It’s not on UKBA website though but 31st of March is not far away, nevertheless I wish to be wrong because this rule is barbaric.
N/A

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
terriblescream wrote:Is this true, PSW holders cannot bring in dependants ??!! and if yes where can i refer to it ?!! I wanted my wife to join me since I will be on PSW next month
Greenie wrote:I don't believe this is correct. Tier 4 where did you read that psw holders will not be able to bring their dependents?
The details info that UKBA will publish on 31st of March has already been issued to Colleges and Universities. I had a few arguments with my international student officer she gave me all the relevant details and this info was in it. It’s not on UKBA website though but 31st of March is not far away, nevertheless I wish to be wrong because this rule is barbaric.
Did she perhaps send you a written portion on PSW sthat you can maybe share? Or perhaps if it was a verbal conversation, did she happen to mention something relating overseas applicants applying before April, 2012?

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:02 am

RWA wrote: Did she perhaps send you a written portion on PSW sthat you can maybe share? Or perhaps if it was a verbal conversation, did she happen to mention something relating overseas applicants applying before April, 2012?
Nah mate, she had a bundle of paper and she could not even bother to look inside them. After few arguments she tried to get rid of me by handing me some PSW relevant info which more or less available on net anyways.
N/A

RWA
Newly Registered

Post by RWA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:06 am

Tier 4 wrote:
RWA wrote: Did she perhaps send you a written portion on PSW sthat you can maybe share? Or perhaps if it was a verbal conversation, did she happen to mention something relating overseas applicants applying before April, 2012?
Nah mate, she had a bundle of paper and she could not even bother to look inside them. After few arguments she tried to get rid of me by handing me some PSW relevant info which more or less available on net anyways.
Its alright, thanks!

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:40 pm

[quote="Tier 4"]Well I am genuinely genuinely shocked that Universities are saying these rules are much better than previous one. I guess Government showed them worst and they settled on bad. What a disgraces it’s not just about PSW by which we are suffering.

• The students in private institutions are hit real hard, its British high commission around the globe who gave them visas on these institution, and home office and UKBA provides so-called “Aâ€

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:54 pm

Google for 'EU Blue card',can be productive for skilled graduates.Remember recent EU-India trade deal?UK isn't the end of the road.

prova

Post by prova » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:35 pm

is it true psw holders wouldn't be able to bring their spouse ?where the rules are published ?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:49 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
If it is available on the net then anway then please point us to a reliable source.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:54 pm

prova wrote:is it true psw holders wouldn't be able to bring their spouse ?where the rules are published ?
The rules will not be published until 31st March. I have not seen anything to suggest that PSW holders will no longer be able to bring their dependents.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:32 pm

culio347 wrote: The last students to be able to benefit from Tier 1 PSW will be 2010/11 final year undergraduates and postgraduates and those who obtained their degree no earlier than end March/April 2011 (precise cut off date to be confirmed).
What if a person graduates in March 2012?
N/A

tusso

Post by tusso » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:32 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
culio347 wrote: The last students to be able to benefit from Tier 1 PSW will be 2010/11 final year undergraduates and postgraduates and those who obtained their degree no earlier than end March/April 2011 (precise cut off date to be confirmed).
What if a person graduates in March 2012?
If you apply before April 2012 then that s fine, its like now with the Tier 1 General Highly Skilled Workers. "Tier 1 (General) will remain open to applicants who are already in the UK until 5 April 2011".

tabraiz.lashkari
Newly Registered

Post by tabraiz.lashkari » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:00 am

Greenie wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:
If it is available on the net then anway then please point us to a reliable source.
The information that PSW holders will not be able to bring their dependents is not anywhere on the net. UKBA had sent an email mentioning that to all the Tier 4 sponsors.

cruxifixo
Newly Registered

Post by cruxifixo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Analysis of government and UK Border Agency information on proposed changes to the UK's student immigration system

Penningtons Solicitors LLP
Nichola Carter
United Kingdom

March 25 2011
http://www.lexology.com/library/detail. ... ecb62aea2d

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 pm

cruxifixo wrote:Analysis of government and UK Border Agency information on proposed changes to the UK's student immigration system

Penningtons Solicitors LLP
Nichola Carter
United Kingdom

March 25 2011
http://www.lexology.com/library/detail. ... ecb62aea2d
This is a quicker link
http://www.penningtons.co.uk/Global/PA% ... -2011.ashx

Doesn't say that much, and seems pretty pointless to release that since the UKBA said that they would release the full statement of changes on the 31st. Damian Green already said that they new Tier 2 PSW will come into effect in April 2012.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:03 pm

tusso wrote:Damian Green already said that they new Tier 2 PSW will come into effect in April 2012.
what is new PSW?
N/A

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
tusso wrote:Damian Green already said that they new Tier 2 PSW will come into effect in April 2012.
what is new PSW?
The one where u need the job offer etc

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:58 am

tusso wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:
what is new PSW?
The one where u need the job offer etc
it's not 'new PSW' it is just Tier 2.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:05 am

well guys thers no Such new PSW .....Just to divert you or not to fully scared you..thy said if further student needs to stay ...needs apply for Tier 2...with in student visa ....is not tht easy with in 2 0r 3 months to get an employer who sponser you....student need at least 1yr...to prepare himself for job, documentation and all other stepps.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:08 am

tabraiz.lashkari wrote: The information that PSW holders will not be able to bring their dependents is not anywhere on the net. UKBA had sent an email mentioning that to all the Tier 4 sponsors.
Have you seen this email?

ginger_beer

Post by ginger_beer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:41 am

luckylondon wrote:well guys thers no Such new PSW .....Just to divert you or not to fully scared you..thy said if further student needs to stay ...needs apply for Tier 2...with in student visa ....is not tht easy with in 2 0r 3 months to get an employer who sponser you....student need at least 1yr...to prepare himself for job, documentation and all other stepps.
yes, this is the worst part of the decision. Almost every top educational destination countries give some sort of visa extension to look for graduate jobs

If this goes through, the UK is the only country in the list that doesn't provide a kind of post-study visa. From the Home Affairs Committee report:

New Zealand: post-study visa for 12 months after graduate
Canada: post-study visa for as long as your study, maximum 3 yrs
Australia: post-study visa for 1.5 yrs
Germany: student visa can be extended for 1 yr to look for job
French: temporary residence permit for 6 months. If find a well-paying job in related field to ur study, then switch to employee visa (admittedly, hard)
USA: practical training visa for 12 months

UK: NONE ???

i was hoping that at least it would become like French .. but now, well ..

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 am

lets hope LIBCON govt is no more in few years time!

any govt (i.e. labour) other than LIBCON will be better than them at doing their job from country's economic point of view

shambles!

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:32 pm

ginger_beer wrote:
luckylondon wrote:well guys thers no Such new PSW .....Just to divert you or not to fully scared you..thy said if further student needs to stay ...needs apply for Tier 2...with in student visa ....is not tht easy with in 2 0r 3 months to get an employer who sponser you....student need at least 1yr...to prepare himself for job, documentation and all other stepps.
yes, this is the worst part of the decision. Almost every top educational destination countries give some sort of visa extension to look for graduate jobs

If this goes through, the UK is the only country in the list that doesn't provide a kind of post-study visa. From the Home Affairs Committee report:

New Zealand: post-study visa for 12 months after graduate
Canada: post-study visa for as long as your study, maximum 3 yrs
Australia: post-study visa for 1.5 yrs
Germany: student visa can be extended for 1 yr to look for job
French: temporary residence permit for 6 months. If find a well-paying job in related field to ur study, then switch to employee visa (admittedly, hard)
USA: practical training visa for 12 months

UK: NONE ???

i was hoping that at least it would become like French .. but now, well ..

What strikes me the most is that apart from this report, Theresa May and Damian Green still say that there are no sort of PSW style of arrangements elsewhere and that the new system is competitive with the rest of the world, and no ONE within the MPs or sessions has the balls to prove them wrong...

joh118

Post by joh118 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 pm

I share the same opinion that the UK will appear to be less attractive due to the lack of PSW.

However, that said, there is no Resident Labour Market Test being required to get Tier 2. That does make it significantly easier to access Tier 2. So, I guess the only difference is not having the "luxury" of finding a permanent job in 2 years and having only your final year of study to find one....