ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:14 pm

I am in the same situation as well. I sent an email and called vfs (premium rate) today, but it is the same standard response. I applied on 9th march at vfs London. I will update any progress. It is so frustrating. It will be nice if you can also update the progress.

shivuu006

Post by shivuu006 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:54 am

it is 10working days normally excluding transit if you apply by post. I got mine after 12 working days

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:00 am

[quote="deepa82"]hi,

I surrendered my husbands passport on the 8th march and have also contacted VFS via email and all they can say is that they do not know how long it will take. :shock:

There website states 5/6 working days which we can see is surely not the case, and it seems impossible to find out any information as to what is happening.

has anyone recently applied to the London VFS office? How long has the process taken?[/quote]

Deepa82,
Did you receive any updates from vfs? I am still counting the days. No certificate in sight. :(

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Good news and bad news. Good news is that the surrender certificate is ready. Bad news is that it is littered with errors. So, I filled in the correction form and gave it to vfs. But they did not give any receipt or anything and asked me to come after 4 days. Is this normal?. Anyone has similar experience?
Last edited by shajacksha on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atika_aijaz
Newly Registered

Post by atika_aijaz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:09 pm

hi i am also waiting for my sc.i applied in person at vfs victoria on 10 mar,when i vfs at premium rate all they could say is please wait.we dont have any contact with hci.
i have to visit india in easter holidays and also have to get visa for the same.
all the best to all who are in my state.
any ideas or comments?

atika_aijaz
Newly Registered

Post by atika_aijaz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 pm

seems to b a gud news for me as well.vfs website says application processed and sent to courier service.waiting 4 courier.may receive by tomorrow. :?:

shajacksha

Re: Mistakes in certificate

Post by shajacksha » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:16 pm

[quote="krish.venugopal"]Hi,

I had applied for surrender certificate for my kid, wife and myself.
It took 12 working days for VFS in London to issue the surrender Certificate, and to my dismay all the certificates had mistakes like wrong date for passport issuance, Fathers name misspelt.

Our names are correct, our passport numbers both Indian and British are correct, its just the date of issuance and parents name that are misspelt.

Is this going to cause a problem while applying for OCI? anyone had any experience similar to this? To get this corrected I need to visit the VFS office again and fill up a form, then go there after a week or two to collect the corrected certificates...

:shock:[/quote]

Hi
Did vfs give any receipt when correction form is submitted. In my case they just took a photocopy of the passport and the original surrender certificate and asked me to come after a week. No receipts which means in cannot be tracked. How long it took to get it corrected?

krish.venugopal

Post by krish.venugopal » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi,

They gave me back a photo copy of the surrender certificate when I submitted for correction, hold on to your payment receipt that is what they ask for.

After a week I had a call from them stating that its ready for collection, I ended up at the VFS office and the guy in the counter said my certificates are not in I have to come back after a week :shock:
Then I insisted that VFS had called me and asked him to recheck, he reluctantly went back and then came back with the certificates.

klal
Newly Registered

Who signs the form?

Post by klal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:32 am

I am going to surrender my son's Indian passport. He has just turned sixteen - can he sign the application form or do I need to sign it as his parent? Can't find any guidance at the HCI website. Any one with any idea please?

Edit:
Second Question: The VFS website mentions the documents submitted should be self-attested. What exactly do they expect there? Just a signature on each of the documents?

Lal

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Second Question: The VFS website mentions the documents submitted should be self-attested. What exactly do they expect there? Just a signature on each of the documents?
Signature/initial on each page.

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks!
krazydude wrote:
Signature/initial on each page.

atika_aijaz
Newly Registered

Post by atika_aijaz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 pm

hi, i also had the same two questions.Here is the answer i got from VFS.
parent should sign all documents until the child is 18.
self attested means you sign ,but the guy at vfs centre said it is not needed anymore.

atika_aijaz
Newly Registered

Post by atika_aijaz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:40 pm

i have received my sc on 25 th march for which i had applied on 10th march.today i hav applied for tourist visa ,hopefully i'll get in a weeks time before my departure on 6th april.

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:31 am

Hi atika_aijaz,

Thanks for the answer. My mind at rest now!

Cheers,
Lal
atika_aijaz wrote:hi, i also had the same two questions.Here is the answer i got from VFS.
parent should sign all documents until the child is 18.
self attested means you sign ,but the guy at vfs centre said it is not needed anymore.

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Finally got it corrected. The correction took exactly 7 working days. The whole surrender certificate process took 17 working days. Now to the next step. OCI.

krish.venugopal

Post by krish.venugopal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:17 pm

shajacksha wrote:Finally got it corrected. The correction took exactly 7 working days. The whole surrender certificate process took 17 working days. Now to the next step. OCI.
After submitting the certificate for correction, did you ring them to find out if they have it ready? I have submitted mine, they mentioned that they would call me when its ready, It has been 6 working days since.

Thanks

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:46 pm

krish.venugopal wrote:
shajacksha wrote:Finally got it corrected. The correction took exactly 7 working days. The whole surrender certificate process took 17 working days. Now to the next step. OCI.
After submitting the certificate for correction, did you ring them to find out if they have it ready? I have submitted mine, they mentioned that they would call me when its ready, It has been 6 working days since.

Thanks
No, I sent an email and they called me back the next morning to say it is ready.

Looks like have to pay 2 pounds extra for each OCI application as a surcharge.

krish.venugopal

Post by krish.venugopal » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:04 pm

shajacksha wrote:
krish.venugopal wrote:

Thanks
No, I sent an email and they called me back the next morning to say it is ready.
Thanks, I did the same and they called back to say its ready.

cool_guy2011
Newly Registered

Surrender ceritificate - My timeline

Post by cool_guy2011 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Mode of application: POSTAL
Date of application: 16/03/2011 - sent to VFS, Hayes office in London
Date received by Indian high commission: 21/03/2011
Date passport revoked: 31/03/011
Date of receipt of SC: 05/04/2011

Surprisingly and fortunately for me - the spelling / info on the SC is all correct.

Hope this was helpful to prospecitve applicants.

Cool_guy2011

wp112010
Newly Registered

Post by wp112010 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:35 pm

hi cool_guy2011

did you track your app status online ..how long did they take to display status online from the day they received the application.

Thank you

klal
Newly Registered

Penalties

Post by klal » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:31 am

Guys,

Be careful. If you haven't surrendered your Indian passport within three years of acquiring foreign citizenship, be aware the Indian government is strictly applying penalties. The leniency shown earlier is apparently no longer there.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:59 am

sac wrote:Applied in person at London VFS: 12 April 2011
Received SC & cancelled passport: 27 April 2011

Took about 40 minutes at VFS to submit my app. Cost £113. Did not self-attest any of the photocopies. Received docs (in the Special Delivery envelope I had provided) in a fortnight, which includes the Easter holidays. Satisfied with the service.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

salimsabu
Newly Registered

Help with filling in SC aaplication

Post by salimsabu » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:30 pm

I had UK citizenship ceremony on 1st April and UK passport issued on 22 April which was delivered to my house on 27th April.

In the SC application form they ask to fill the date when..I have acquired British/ Foreign nationality on.....
is this date is the citizenship ceremony date/passport issue date?Likewise the column asking permanent address
is it your current UK address or your indian home address?
Thanks for your help

london2009uk

Post by london2009uk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:46 am

Put the citizenship date (ceremony). Passport is just the travel document issued after you becoming naturalized british.

shajacksha

Re: Help with filling in SC aaplication

Post by shajacksha » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 am

salimsabu wrote:Likewise the column asking permanent address
is it your current UK address or your indian home address?
Your UK address, I suppose.