ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS Registration for visa less than 6 months

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cradlecog
Newly Registered

NHS Registration for visa less than 6 months

Post by cradlecog » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi,
I have been visiting UK on a WP / Tier 2 since last 7 yrs or so ..usually for 6 months to a year ...I never registered in a GP when I was single ...but did get registered without any problem when i came with my wife last year ...and then went back...this time i have come with my 1 yr old daughter , but the nearest GP has refused to register her as our visas expire on 1st July '11...Although the total visa duration is of more than 8 months , as of now less than 6 months are remaining.(family traveled later)..
Even though it will be extended, but i cant send it now for an extension as more than 5 months are still remaining ..
They have also refused to transfer me and my wife from the old GP because of the same reason ..
I am more concerned about my daughter as she is too young to remain without medical security ..
As a legal NI payer and taxpayer do i have any rights for medical cover in this country ???

bobtail
Newly Registered

Post by bobtail » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Indeed, you do.
You're entitled to medical care even if you're in UK on tourist visa.
Talking from experience, my appendix burst when I was just visiting UK and got my operation and care here.
And GP should allow you to register, or maybe not even register but definitely provide you with care as they did for me after the operation.
If nothing you can always go to walk-in clinic or A&E if something needs urgent care.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:24 pm

A principal 'entitlement' to medical care may exist but to be free one must be ordinarily resident unless special exemptions exist. There is also a link for visitors there on the left.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Looks like this GP is pulling a fast one on you - irrespective of the validity of your visa, as long as you are here legally - be it 1 month or 10 months - you can register at your local GP.

My suggestion is to go to another GP if possible and if not, then call NHS and inform them of this particular GP's behaviour.
And in case of any emergency, just go to you NHS Walk In centre where there is on the spot appointments given, just as what the previous post has said.

And whatever happens, in case of any emergencies you can always call 999 and go to A&E where they will take care of any problems - you are legally allowed to and have the right to medical care all the time you and your family

KP

inwantofbeingme
Newly Registered

Post by inwantofbeingme » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Well, I visited the nearest NHS to where I live today to register.

I entered the UK in Feb 2011, and the lady at the desk, told me that I need to be in the country for a minimum of 3 months before I could register.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Are you serious????
If you have a valid visa, proof of accomodation that puts you in that GPs area of cover, then they cannot say no......the govt sure seems to be losing control of basic amenities in this country...tsk tsk

You can always call the NHS and make a complaint against this GP - and you still have the legal right to a GP when you pay taxes and NI. There are plans to change the rules soon but basic GP cover and access to a doctor is of utmost importance!!!!

KP

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:27 pm

That's a piece of advice a got from the DH just a month ago.
Department of Health wrote:Where a person has difficulty in registering for NHS services with a primary medical services contractor, they should get in touch with their local PCT (directly or via the local Patient Advice and Liaison Services to discuss what assistance might be available locally.
PCT = primary care trust

mrajkumar
India

Post by mrajkumar » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:45 pm

I registered with the GP within a week of my entry to UK and for proof of accomodation I just mentioned the postcode of my home and they took a copy of my visa thats all
inwantofbeingme wrote:Well, I visited the nearest NHS to where I live today to register.

I entered the UK in Feb 2011, and the lady at the desk, told me that I need to be in the country for a minimum of 3 months before I could register.

jan29
Newly Registered

NHS not accepting me as patient

Post by jan29 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:54 am

I arrived in the UK during early feb as dependant of my husband.We contacted NHS later the same month to be registered.
We got reply from them saying they needed my name to be added in the rental agreement(my husband came here in jan and the six month rental agreement was in his name).
We added my name in the rental agreement and contacted NHS again,then again they said the rental agreement has to be for a complete 6 months so they can't accept it.
We again contacted them with the council tax bill which we received recently,now they are telling us that my visa validity is 5 and a half months so they cannot register(even after i explained to them that i might need medical care as I am expecting pregnancy).
Please can anyone tell me how to go about this as I am currently in need of medical care.There are no private hospitals nearby. :(

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Re: NHS not accepting me as patient

Post by mulderpf » Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm

jan29 wrote:I arrived in the UK during early feb as dependant of my husband.We contacted NHS later the same month to be registered.
We got reply from them saying they needed my name to be added in the rental agreement(my husband came here in jan and the six month rental agreement was in his name).
We added my name in the rental agreement and contacted NHS again,then again they said the rental agreement has to be for a complete 6 months so they can't accept it.
We again contacted them with the council tax bill which we received recently,now they are telling us that my visa validity is 5 and a half months so they cannot register(even after i explained to them that i might need medical care as I am expecting pregnancy).
Please can anyone tell me how to go about this as I am currently in need of medical care.There are no private hospitals nearby. :(
I don't think you are eligible for free NHS treatment as you are not considered to be resident in the UK due to your visa being valid for less than 6 months. The only NHS treatment that would be free to you, would be in the case of an emergency (or if you use a service like the walk-in centres). You will need to seek a GP that takes patients privately (and of course pay for it).

This is just based on my discussion with my local surgery - it might help contacting your local PCT directly and finding out what other options you have available.

jan29
Newly Registered

I visited another NHS,different criteria there!!!

Post by jan29 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Today again I visited another NHS nearby to register myself.In this NHS I was told that the visa validity was irrelevant but I had to complete 6 months stay in the UK.

Now it is a lot more confusing,looks like there is no one single criteria for the NHS s!!! :(

light_tunnel

Post by light_tunnel » Wed May 11, 2011 8:15 pm

You need to be more aggressive...NHS is your basic right. We are paying taxes and that is the only benefit we get.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 am

light_tunnel wrote:You need to be more aggressive...NHS is your basic right. We are paying taxes and that is the only benefit we get.
This is not true - I have checked again and if you are in the UK for less than six months, you are only entitled to emergency NHS services. Simply paying taxes and national insurance does not entitle you to all the services provided by this - for example, despite paying national insurance, if I lose my job tomorrow, I cannot claim a penny back. Or by the same argument, I don't want the government to continue the conflict in Afghanistan, but that doesn't mean I can get my portion of the taxes back which the government decided to use for that.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Thu May 12, 2011 1:17 pm

bobtail wrote:Indeed, you do.
You're entitled to medical care even if you're in UK on tourist visa.
Talking from experience, my appendix burst when I was just visiting UK and got my operation and care here.
And GP should allow you to register, or maybe not even register but definitely provide you with care as they did for me after the operation.
If nothing you can always go to walk-in clinic or A&E if something needs urgent care.
You may be entitled to treatment but it will not be free if you are visiting. If need emergency treatment it will be free but it must be emergency. The above is emergency but may be paid for by insurance and certainly any after care should be paid for.
I believe lots of Drs get fed up with having to pay out of their own budgets if they can not claim for the patient care . If you are in the UK on a long term visa you can apply to register with a Dr as soon as you arrive.

see http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/you ... abroad.htm

gives clear information
pennyless

jan29
Newly Registered

NHS treatment

Post by jan29 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:33 am

I am on long term UK visa not on visitor's visa.I am Tier 1 dependent visa holder.