ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

smiles345
Member of Standing

Post by smiles345 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi shan

I'm in the same boat. aknowledged on 21/03/2011 and registration granted on 22nd and still no update. pls let me know when you get an update

Regards

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi, I have jumped from surrender certificate to the OCI thread now. Just got my surrender certificate. Is it advisable to apply OCI by post? Just been looking at the hci website. There is some new information. A new surcharge for OCI application. And have to send originals if applying by post. But it says it will take 4 weeks to get OCI. That is quick.

modasu
Newly Registered

Post by modasu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:26 pm

shajacksha wrote:Hi, I have jumped from surrender certificate to the OCI thread now. Just got my surrender certificate. Is it advisable to apply OCI by post? Just been looking at the hci website. There is some new information. A new surcharge for OCI application. And have to send originals if applying by post. But it says it will take 4 weeks to get OCI. That is quick.
Are you applying in London?

I am also thinking of applying for my mother, in London this time. My father and I applied in Birmingham and it took more than 2 months. What's this surcharge you talk about?

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:57 am

A 2 pound consular surcharge for each application. Yes, I am applying in London. But people from Birmingham cannot apply in London. The website make it very clear.

modasu
Newly Registered

Post by modasu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 am

shajacksha wrote:A 2 pound consular surcharge for each application. Yes, I am applying in London. But people from Birmingham cannot apply in London. The website make it very clear.
It doesn't actually say that. It says "GBRB (Birmingham) application/s will not be accepted in HCI, London". Does that not mean application forms which were made as though they will apply in Birmingham (hence will bear the reference no. "GBRBI...." as opposed to "GBRLI....") then the applicant decides he/she will apply in London. But if the applicant filled out the registration form stating he/she will apply in London (Hence will have ref. no GBRLI...) then it should be ok, shouldn't it?

A man from our community had his OCI made in London, although this was about 2 years ago I think.

I might be wrong, I don't know. It's just the way I read it...
(I'm not actually from Bham, but from one of the county which is 'covered' by the Bham consulate)
Last edited by modasu on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

modasu
Newly Registered

Post by modasu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:43 am

I've just sent the application for my mother yesterday, I received the birth certificate from India. I was lucky because I thought I would have to go through the trouble of getting it translated it from Gujarati to English but my cousin there already had that done. I've applied in London - hope it won't get rejected!

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:50 am

[quote="modasu"][quote="shajacksha"]A 2 pound consular surcharge for each application. Yes, I am applying in London. But people from Birmingham cannot apply in London. The website make it very clear.[/quote]It doesn't actually say that. It says "GBRB (Birmingham) application/s will not be accepted in HCI, London". Does that not mean application forms which were made as though they will apply in Birmingham (hence will bear the reference no. "GBRBI...." as opposed to "GBRLI....") then the applicant decides he/she will apply in London. But if the applicant filled out the registration form stating he/she will apply in London (Hence will have ref. no GBRLI...) then it should be ok, shouldn't it?

A man from our community had his OCI made in London, although this was about 2 years ago I think.

I might be wrong, I don't know. It's just the way I read it...
(I'm not actually from Bham, but from one of the county which is 'covered' by the Bham consulate)[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. You might be right. But one can never be sure as to how the official who process the application interprets it. Good luck anyway.

cool_guy2011
Newly Registered

Applying for OCI from Edinburgh - My time line.

Post by cool_guy2011 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Has there been anyone who has previously applied for OCI from CGI, Edinburgh recently ? How is the service like from them ? What is the appx. timeline regarding receipt of OCI from the date of application by post / in-person ? Multiple phone calls are practically useless as there is no answer.

Any experience / info shall be very much appreciated.
Last edited by cool_guy2011 on Wed May 25, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

krish.venugopal

Post by krish.venugopal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi,

Apologies if this question has been asked before, can someone confirm if PART B is common to all applicants if applying as a family and only PART A needs to be separate for each applicant?

Will just the first page of the British passport where the photo is present should do?

Do we need to take a copy of our cancelled Indian passport?

And all documents including the supporting documents are to be two copies?

Cheers

wp112010
Newly Registered

Post by wp112010 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Hello all,
Just got uk passport & I am about to apply for OCI ..but totally confused by these 3 steps
I visited the hci , London website …it says , I need to first register here
1) https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp

ok I can do that …
2) some people say I need to go to VFS too to get surrender certificate(SC)
3) I have to apply for OCI card

It is 3 different process ? do I have to apply 3 times …I am planning to apply by post …which address I need to send… so complicated …
Or is it one process that I need to send VFS and then will process other 2 after SC..
please someone clear my confusion
Doc …I am sending the following docs for me & 4 yr old son
1)Copy of expired Indian Passport & Indian Passport - expired (original)
2). Copy of current Indian passport with used visa pages & Indian Passport - Current (original)
3). Copy of British passport
4. Copy of naturalization certificate
5. £167 Crossed Postal order.

Thank you
Jen

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 am

Very straight forward. First, apply for the surrender certificate at Vfs. Once you have that in hand, apply for OCI.

wp112010
Newly Registered

Post by wp112010 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:36 pm

thanks shajacksha... i am still confused ...so where does it online bit comes in .. are you saying ...
1)do register online ..part a
2) print off the application where i need to fill part b by hand and send that to vfs along with all the required docs
3) they will send the SC to my address
4) taking the sc & go to hci and apply for oci...

is that what you are saying .....
is there any format for surrender indian passport ?

krish.venugopal

Post by krish.venugopal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:52 pm

wp112010 wrote:thanks shajacksha... i am still confused ...so where does it online bit comes in .. are you saying ...
2) print off the application where i need to fill part b by hand and send that to vfs along with all the required docs

I think you are mixing up the two process:

The Surrender Certificate is your first step.
You will have to first surrender your Indian passport at any of the VFS office and obtain the Surrender Certificate, before you can apply for OCI, look at the link below for further details on the procedure.

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surenderind_pass.html

wp112010
Newly Registered

Post by wp112010 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:54 pm

thanks krish.venugopal...i know i am confused terribly...
where is that online bit coming in ..where i have to register
https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp

these online register , vfs and hci ..these 3 are confusing me ...also any format for surrendering passports ?

modasu
Newly Registered

Post by modasu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:51 pm

wp112010 wrote:thanks shajacksha... i am still confused ...so where does it online bit comes in .. are you saying ...

No, first and foremost, you need to have your Indian passport surrendered. This is done through VFS global. You can download the form (it's only one page, very quick) and send it to Hayes, Middlesex (You can see all the info http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surenderind_pass.html.

Then you need to wait for them to post your Surrender Certificate along with your Indian passport (which will be cut in the corners and stamped with "Acquired British/Foreign Nationality")

Once you have got that, you can register online for OCI (link which you gave) - this application is NOT done through VFS, but through one of the Indian consulates (London, Birmingham, Edinburgh)

modasu
Newly Registered

Post by modasu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:55 pm

wp112010 wrote:thanks krish.venugopal...i know i am confused terribly...
where is that online bit coming in ..where i have to register
https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp

these online register , vfs and hci ..these 3 are confusing me ...also any format for surrendering passports ?
Sorry I just saw the later posts.

You need to surrender your Indian Passport FIRST (nothing to do with OCI application). the way you do this is NOT by registering online - it is done by filling in a form which you download and fill in BY HAND.

And then you wait for the certificate to be posted to you (make sure you include an SDE in the application so they can use it to send it to you)

It is THEN you can register online for your OCI application and proceed further with the OCI application.

YOU NEED TO SURRENDER YOUR INDIAN PASSPORT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT OCI.

wp112010
Newly Registered

Post by wp112010 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks modasu...you are a star...sorry it took sometime for me to understand this process....Thanks again

in-london
Newly Registered

Post by in-london » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:35 am

Now that I have got the Surrender Certificate in hand, I am now onto the next step, i.e. applying for OCI. Have a few questions:
1. First I have to register myself for OCI at the site https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp - there's one question there that confuses me a bit... "Previous nationality" - surely this is India?
2. Do I click the SUBMIT button once I have filled out this form?
3. The form mentions Part-B - where is this? Will this appear once I have submitted Part-A?
4. The form also states "Completed application in Part-A and Part-B are to be submitted to the appropriate office." - does this mean we need to print out Part-A also? I thought we just submit this online?
5. Finally, it seems all documentation is required in a set of two. Does this apply to these forms Part-A and Part-B also?

Sorry if these points are fairly obvious to some of you, but I just wanted to make sure I follow the correct procedure, hence these questions.

Thank you in advance.

modasu
Newly Registered

Post by modasu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:11 pm

in-london wrote:Now that I have got the Surrender Certificate in hand, I am now onto the next step, i.e. applying for OCI. Have a few questions:
1. First I have to register myself for OCI at the site https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp - there's one question there that confuses me a bit... "Previous nationality" - surely this is India?
2. Do I click the SUBMIT button once I have filled out this form?
3. The form mentions Part-B - where is this? Will this appear once I have submitted Part-A?
4. The form also states "Completed application in Part-A and Part-B are to be submitted to the appropriate office." - does this mean we need to print out Part-A also? I thought we just submit this online?
5. Finally, it seems all documentation is required in a set of two. Does this apply to these forms Part-A and Part-B also?

Sorry if these points are fairly obvious to some of you, but I just wanted to make sure I follow the correct procedure, hence these questions.

Thank you in advance.
1) If you were previously Indian and are now British, then yes you need to state that your previous nationality was Indian. (For example, I didn't answer that question since I was born in the UK, so I have always been British)
2) Yes
3) Part B will automatically print out along with Part A when you click submit. Make sure you have your printer on and have several sheets in it.
4) Yes you need to submit Part A as well as B, they will both print together like I mentioned.
5) Yes it does. You will need ALL the documentation in TWO copies. This includes Part A + B of the form. So make sure you print two copies (or one, then photocopy it), then all the supporting documents (x 2, self-attested) which each of the two copies of the form. Part A is the part where you will have the square to stick your photo on.

in-london
Newly Registered

Post by in-london » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:25 am

modasu - Thank you very much. That's very clear!

carryon
Newly Registered

OCI for minor

Post by carryon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:19 pm

I would be thankful if someone can help me on this as I have tried calling up the Indian Consulate in Edinburgh but I have not been succesfull in getting through to discuss my situation.
I have submitted my Indian Passport and I am awaiting to receive the surrender certificate,
My child who was born in UK has already has the British Passport 1 year ago, my child didnt have an Indian passport as she was born after I and my wife received the ILR.
Now can I apply for the child's OCI card along with my application, my wife still holds the Indian Passport.
Another main point is that I have not done a name change on my wife's passport after our marriage, and I have not applied for any PIO for my child as we have not travelled to India in the meantime, any guidance as how to proceed would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

ELBIN007
Newly Registered

OCI

Post by ELBIN007 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:46 am

HI,
I HAVE APPLIED FOR OCI ON THE 4 OF OCTOBER 2010,AND I REGUARLY CHECK ON THE ONLINE ENQUIRY FORM TO SEE IF THE PROCESS IS COMPLETED,BUT ALWAYS IT SAYS "UNDER PROCESS".iT HAS BEEN 5 MONTHS NOW,I VE SENT AN EMAIL AND TRIED ON DIFFERNT NUMBERS TO CONTACT THEM,BUT THEIR IS NO REPLY AND THEY DON'T PICK UP THE PHONE,MY DAUGHTER HAS RECIEVED HERS ON jANUARY,AND ME ,MY HUSBAND AND MY SON ARE YET TO RECIEVE,pLS ADVICE ON WHAT I CAN DO

shajacksha

Re: OCI for minor

Post by shajacksha » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:11 pm

carryon wrote: Now can I apply for the child's OCI card along with my application, my wife still holds the Indian Passport.
As long as one of the parent is a foreign national, you in this instance, you can apply for you child OCI along with your application.

modasu
Newly Registered

Re: OCI

Post by modasu » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 pm

ELBIN007 wrote:HI,
I HAVE APPLIED FOR OCI ON THE 4 OF OCTOBER 2010,AND I REGUARLY CHECK ON THE ONLINE ENQUIRY FORM TO SEE IF THE PROCESS IS COMPLETED,BUT ALWAYS IT SAYS "UNDER PROCESS".iT HAS BEEN 5 MONTHS NOW,I VE SENT AN EMAIL AND TRIED ON DIFFERNT NUMBERS TO CONTACT THEM,BUT THEIR IS NO REPLY AND THEY DON'T PICK UP THE PHONE,MY DAUGHTER HAS RECIEVED HERS ON jANUARY,AND ME ,MY HUSBAND AND MY SON ARE YET TO RECIEVE,pLS ADVICE ON WHAT I CAN DO
Has your photo/signature been scanned? Did you apply in London?

carryon
Newly Registered

Re: OCI for minor

Post by carryon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:06 pm

shajacksha wrote:
carryon wrote: Now can I apply for the child's OCI card along with my application, my wife still holds the Indian Passport.
As long as one of the parent is a foreign national, you in this instance, you can apply for you child OCI along with your application.
Thank you for your advice, have a good day