ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR & Child Benefit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

PB

ILR & Child Benefit

Post by PB » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:35 pm

Hi there,

My husband & I received our ILR in March 2004. Our daughter was born here in April and is eligible for British nationality. I just wanted to find out if we are eligible to receive Child Benefit. Would it affect our application for British Citizenship as it is part of Public funds?

Many thanks,
PB

tvt

Post by tvt » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:48 pm

As ILR holders you are not restricted from accessing public funds.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

scorz
Newly Registered

Re: ILR & Child Benefit

Post by scorz » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:22 pm

PB wrote:Hi there,

My husband & I received our ILR in March 2004. Our daughter was born here in April and is eligible for British nationality. I just wanted to find out if we are eligible to receive Child Benefit. Would it affect our application for British Citizenship as it is part of Public funds?

Many thanks,
PB
On similar lines, our child will be born before we get an ILR.

Does this mean we will have to process ILR for the child at the same time or should we do it independently (can we?) and then register the baby on the basis of birth as a british national?

cheers.

tvt

Post by tvt » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:00 am

You can register your child as soon as you get your ILR. Your child is not required to hold ILR prior to such registration. However, as there is no additional fee to pay for your child's ILR application (as a dependent in your application), I would recommend you to apply for ILR status for your child too.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

scorz
Newly Registered

Post by scorz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:09 am

thanks a lot!

does the ILR not require atleast a year's residency in the country (for the dependents)? and if so, how does it apply for a new born?

also, we were'nt thinking of applying for the child's ILR since it would require a passport and thought it would be less of a hassle (and involve less time and money) to get a british passport by registration!

now u've confused me even more! :?

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:00 am

AFAIK the child even if included in your ILR application will not be granted such though it is best to include him/her in the application as a dependent. He/she is eligible for registration as a British Citizen as soon as you get ILR so the issue of ILR for him/her is moot. The caseworker when giving you back you docs after ILR approval will tell you to apply for the child's registration as a BC through the Home Office Nationality Department in Liverpool. You will need to submit your passports with the ILR stamps (its now called a residence permit and will have your photo on it), accompanying grant of ILR letter, the child's full birth certificate showing both parents names and your marriage certificate. The process takes up to 6 months.

scorz
Newly Registered

Post by scorz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:11 pm

thanks for the help, kayalami...

was wondering if anyone out there has ever faced such a problem and would appreciate if they can share their experience...

mwaitojofu
Newly Registered

Post by mwaitojofu » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:52 am

Scorz,

Our case was as follows:
1. Our child was born in Novermber 2000. Included her name in my
wife's passport.
2. March 2003 applied for ILR. Included her name as a dependent
3. March 2003 Registered her as a BC
4. March 2003 started getting child benefit.
5. may 2003 got her british passport.

Bambu

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:57 am

bambu,
bambu wrote:1. Our child was born in Novermber 2000. Included her name in my
wife's passport.
Did you/your wife's grant of ILR letter accompanying the ILR stamp (presume the green one) contain a reference to the child indicating that she was also granted ILR?

mwaitojofu
Newly Registered

Post by mwaitojofu » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:40 am

Kayalami,

Did you/your wife's grant of ILR letter accompanying the ILR stamp (presume the green one) contain a reference to the child indicating that she was also granted ILR?

Yes, in my wife's IRL stamp they added plus minor under 16 and her name.
In the letter they added plus 1 child and her name plus date of birth.

Rest of words in my wife's letter are the same as in my letter.

Bambu,

scorz
Newly Registered

Post by scorz » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:19 am

thanks.
mwaitojofu wrote: Our case was as follows:
1. Our child was born in Novermber 2000. Included her name in my
wife's passport.
your daughter had been a 'dependent' for over a year - whereas in our case it would be approximately 6 months and hence my dilemma/confusion.

but i agree on the way you worked out to get a registration done as a bc. it really makes sense.

thanks again.