ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I Eligible for Citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zfc
Newly Registered

Am I Eligible for Citizenship?

Post by zfc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:33 am

I'm slightly confused about my situation. I'm 18, I was born in and have been living in the UK for all of my life, however my parents did not have indefinite leave to remain in the UK when I was born. Does this make me a British Citizen or something else? I can't find any online material pertaining to my specific situation at all :/

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:42 am

It does not sound like you are a British citizen, but you may be eligible to register as British using Form T.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... /borninuk/

Don't lose the evidence of your residence in the UK until age 10. Send solicitor-certified copies in support of your application, not originals.

Do you have ILR yourself? It doesn't impact Form T eligibility but the answer may mean that you have no employment or travel options until you get your British citizenship.

zfc
Newly Registered

Post by zfc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:54 am

I don't know whether I do have indefinite leave to remain to be honest, however thanks for the advice on form T.

However I have a question: What if I don't have any evidence of my reisdence other than my birth certificate? I moved around schools quite a lot in my childhood and it would be very difficult for me to obtain the evidence.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:14 pm

zfc wrote:I don't know whether I do have indefinite leave to remain to be honest, however thanks for the advice on form T.

However I have a question: What if I don't have any evidence of my reisdence other than my birth certificate? I moved around schools quite a lot in my childhood and it would be very difficult for me to obtain the evidence.
Why don't you know whether you have indefinite leave to remain?

on what basis did your parents come to the UK? what status did they have when you were born and what status do they have now? Do you any residence permits in your passport?

zfc
Newly Registered

Post by zfc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:24 pm

my parents immigrated from somalia. they came here as refugees, and a few years later i was born. my understanding is that they obtained indefinite leave to remain a few years after that.

i don't have a passport and never have had one, which is why i have no clue about my residency in the UK at all.

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:35 pm

You can’t travel without passport and you can’t NOT have evidence of your residency if you went to local schools. Difficult or not government have your records regardless how many times you moved. Talk to council where you think you have lived and went to school to.

And where are your parents anyway? They must have all documents that you need.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:36 pm

kamalin10 wrote:You can’t travel without passport
The OP said in his/her first post that s/he was born in the UK and has lived here all of the her life so it is perfectly possible that she doesn't have a passport. Further Somalia has no functioning government and was not even able to issue passports for many years.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:48 pm

zfc wrote:I don't know whether I do have indefinite leave to remain to be honest, however thanks for the advice on form T.

Did your parents include you as a dependent in their asylum case after you were born? When did your parents get ILR? DId they also get refugee status?

Are your parents still around - can you find this out from them?

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:52 pm

He or she can say whatever they like but to prove residency lack of passport is number one in line of evidences – which was exactly my point. So since they’ve never had british passport and somalian government never issued any inside the UK only adds to the evidence of continuous residency for 10 or 18 years.