ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligibility criteria for Naturalisation/Citizen after ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

stealth
- thin ice -

Eligibility criteria for Naturalisation/Citizen after ILR

Post by stealth » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:11 pm

hello friends

I will obtain my ILR in may this year. However what happens after that is unclear. So will need some advise!

I am to be offered a job in another country (i.e australia or usa) which is looking lucrative considering the dire situation in the uk at the moment.

what are my options if I leave the UK? Only asking because if i dont like the new job I might want to come back.

Can I apply for naturalisation (citizenship) after 1 year even when I work in a different country after obtaining ILR?

note: I own a house here and may leave it for rent.

thanks

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:27 pm

You cannot spend more than 90 days outside UK in the one year preceding the naturalisation application.
See also 18.2.1 Naturalisation under section 6(1) and 5. Excess absences in the final year.

Reading about Returning residents (IDI) may also be useful.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ukpl

Re: Eligibility criteria for Naturalisation/Citizen after IL

Post by ukpl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:12 am

stealth wrote:note: I own a house here and may leave it for rent.
good for you but irrelevant from Naturalisation perspective