ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IDR and multiple passports

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mediter
Newly Registered

IDR and multiple passports

Post by mediter » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:56 am

Hello All,

My parents are from different countries, lets call them A and B, but I was born in country C. So I have always had three passports.

I obtained my IDR recently in passport C, which I've always used more.

Can I have an IDR sticker put in my other passports? Right now I don't use them because its difficult to travel and obtain visas etc without having a UK permanent residence stamp in them. If I had the IDR in all my passports, then I could travel to different countries per the visa regime (i.e. if country C needs a visa to visit country D, but country A doesn't, then I could just use that passport and saving myself time and money).

Is this possible?

Thanks
M

JAJ
Australia

Re: IDR and multiple passports

Post by JAJ » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:41 pm

I doubt it. But if one of your other passports offers visa free travel to another country, why not just present it at immigration in that country and use the one with the UK sticker (do you mean ILR) on return?

Surely at least one of the passports you have offers good visa free travel?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:43 pm

What you're saying doesn't make sense.

If you need a visa for a particular country why not just use whatever passport has your ILR sticker in it? You don't need to have the sticker in all 3 passports.

If you don't need a visa for a particular country then it doesn't matter anyway whether or not you have the ILR sticker in whatever passport you want to use.

Either way it doesn't matter. Just make sure you always carry the passport that has the ILR sticker in it so you can get back into the UK.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

mediter
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by mediter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:10 am

Yes I suppose I could just do that, and show the one with ILR when I return.

Though, passport B is a Commonwealth country, so if I had a IDR in that one, I could vote here. ...

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:13 am

Do you mind saying what the 3 countries are that you are a citizen of?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

John

Post by John » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:27 am

passport B is a Commonwealth country, so if I had a IDR in that one, I could vote here
If you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country, and if you are living in the UK, then you are entitled to be registered as an elector at your UK address. It is irrelevant what stickers are in the passport of the commonwealth country passport.

IDR? Those letters stand for? Are you meaning ILR ... indefinite leave to remain?
John

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Thanks

Post by Christophe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:32 am

mediter wrote:Yes I suppose I could just do that, and show the one with ILR when I return.

Though, passport B is a Commonwealth country, so if I had a IDR in that one, I could vote here. ...
Yes, as noted above, it doesn't matter which of your passports contains evidence of your permission to be in the UK - as you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country you can vote in the UK in any case. So that need not be a consideration.

mediter
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by mediter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:56 pm

Oh thanks! :D