ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Hi Stupid questions but i need help.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Squeefluff
Newly Registered

Hi Stupid questions but i need help.

Post by Squeefluff » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:53 pm

Hi. Im in the Uk from the US on a fiance visa. I was just married this past Saturday and Im trying to get Everything in order to apply for my Marriage visa (flr (m) ). And i have a couple rather stupid questions that i need answers to and i waould be truly appriciative if any one could help.

Question 1. I have taken my husbands last name when we were married. Should I put my name on the visa application as my name before marriage as it appears on my Passport or as my name after marriage?

EDIT: ohkay so they updated the form last month (ive been working off of one i printed off 3 months ago) for this question it now says....

1.1 Title
Full name (as shown on passport or travel document)
Surname

so im thinking meebe it shoulde be
Mrs.
Jane Christine Doe<---maden name
Hutchenson<----new last name (well not reall just a fake one)

or

Ms
Jane Christine
Doe Sorry i know this probably seems trivial but worried about getting it right

END EDIT

Question 2. On the application in several places it asks for a Home Office Refrence. I have no idea what thats refering to or what i would put into that blank or where i would find it on my current visa if any one could help it would be appriciated.

Question 3. In section 9 where it askes you to state how many of each document you included should, in the 'other' section i list off every bit of paper (ex: wage slips, letters from renters, passport photos ect) that I add with the application form?

Thank you sooooo verry much for your time and any assistance you can give. All of the paper work frazzles me on occasion and any help given is truly truly appriciated.
Thank you again
Jules
Last edited by Squeefluff on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:20 pm

Congrats!

On question 1, I think you should use your new name on the application form - there'll be a "nee" in the form which will tie the new name to your old one. Also, I don't know how close you are to the six-month deadline, but had you considered getting your passport updated before making the FLR application? I don't suppose it's terribly important, but it might save minor hassles in the future, such as having to carry your marriage certificate to prove that you're Mrs X despite having a passport saying you're Miss Y. Might be worth thinking about, anyway...

On question 2, you'll only have an HO reference if you have exchanged correspondence with them - if you haven't, leave it blank this time around.

Question 3 I'll leave to someone who knows more about it...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Hi Stupid questions but i need help.

Post by Christophe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:23 pm

Squeefluff wrote: Question 3. In section 9 where it askes you to state how many of each document you included should, in the 'other' section i list off every bit of paper (ex: wage slips, letters from renters, passport photos ect) that I add with the application form?
I would list them all, with numbers (e.g. 2 letters from employers, 2 passport photos, 57 wage slips, 1 letter from the Inland Revenue, whatever). It can't be wrong to do that and it gives everyone (including you - keep a photocopy) a record of what you sent off.

Squeefluff
Newly Registered

Post by Squeefluff » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:55 pm

ppron747 wrote:Congrats!

On question 1, I think you should use your new name on the application form - there'll be a "nee" in the form which will tie the new name to your old one. Also, I don't know how close you are to the six-month deadline, but had you considered getting your passport updated before making the FLR application? I don't suppose it's terribly important, but it might save minor hassles in the future, such as having to carry your marriage certificate to prove that you're Mrs X despite having a passport saying you're Miss Y. Might be worth thinking about, anyway...
*points up to my edit* if you could read that and then tell me what you think it would be appriciated. And not enough time to send my PP back to the states to get it renewed and get it back again my visa expires the 20th of September. Thanks a bunch for your help ^^

Squeefluff
Newly Registered

Re: Hi Stupid questions but i need help.

Post by Squeefluff » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:56 pm

Christophe wrote: I would list them all, with numbers (e.g. 2 letters from employers, 2 passport photos, 57 wage slips, 1 letter from the Inland Revenue, whatever). It can't be wrong to do that and it gives everyone (including you - keep a photocopy) a record of what you sent off.
Thanks a bunch thats what i thought i just needed confirming ^^

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:30 pm

Squeefluff wrote:
ppron747 wrote:Congrats!

*points up to my edit* if you could read that and then tell me what you think it would be appriciated. And not enough time to send my PP back to the states to get it renewed and get it back again my visa expires the 20th of September. Thanks a bunch for your help ^^
Not sure whether it's a question of "two great nations separated by a common language" but I but I don't understand what your first sentence means..
According to this page on the US Embassy website
An application for a full-validity (ten years for adults) passport will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow 15 working days for your application to be processed.
Which seems ample time to me. But I don't think it is vital either way...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:50 pm

Squeefluff wrote:*points up to my edit* if you could read that and then tell me what you think it would be appriciated. And not enough time to send my PP back to the states to get it renewed and get it back again my visa expires the 20th of September. Thanks a bunch for your help
Is the point that there's nowhere on the form to put another name?

Where it says 'Full name (as shown in your passport or travel document)', you ought to put just that.

Bear in mind that there is no legal requirement for a woman to change her name on marriage - it's a social convention and it is still assumed for many purposes that this will be the situation. However, there is no reason, in law or practice, why you can't be Ms Smith married to Mr Brown. If your passport says that you are Mary Smith, and your marriage certificate says that Mary Smith married John Brown, then that ought to be sufficient.

However, if you do intend to use your husband's surname in everyday life, then it would obviously be easier to have your passport changed to reflect that anyway (the Home Office and visas notwithstanding). Therefore, would it not be better to apply for a passport in your married name and be done with it? The new marriage visa could then go in the new passport.

Also, it's worth remembering that marriage is common - particularly among people changing from a fiancé(e) visa to a marriage visa! - so the situation is not likely to surprise anyone dealing with your application as long as you supply the required documentation.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:40 pm

my wife used her passport with maiden name to apply for visa after marriage. They stamped the visa with her maiden name in the resident permit. Whenever she needs to proof anything, she sends along her marriage certificate. In her case, she is waiting for the expiration of her current passport before affecting a name change because with a new passport, all visas in the passport needs to be reapplied for.

L_E_O

Post by L_E_O » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:55 am

If your wife renewed her passport, would her country cancel her old passport and send it back to her with the new passport (like what the US does) or would she just get the new passport?

If the answer to that question is the former then:
jes2jes wrote:<snip>because with a new passport, all visas in the passport needs to be reapplied for.
is not true. The visas remain valid, the marriage certificate ties her maiden name (in her old passport) to her married name (in her new passport) and the visas don't have to be transferred to the new passport. As long as she carries both passports and her marriage certificate she will be fine.

To answer Squeefluff's questions:

1. It doesn't matter what name put on the application, your visa will be issued in the name that is on your passport - so, in this case, your maiden name.

2. A Home Office Reference number is one of those things you know if you have it. In this case it sounds like you don't have a reference number so you can leave that blank.

3. Christophe is spot on. List absolutely everything so that if one of your documents does go missing you can point it out to them.