ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for infant in India

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

badbug27
Newly Registered

ILR for infant in India

Post by badbug27 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Hello all,

Need some help regarding a visa for our newborn. My family is on ILR and my wife gave birth to our second daughter in India. I am aware that the newborn will need settlement visa normally. However, now I realise that it can take upto 3 months or more, which will also have an impact on our citizenship application (will delay it by a year).

Are there are any other quicker (and cheaper, ilr will cost 60K rupees!) options? Can we apply for her registration as British straight in India? I know chances are slim but thought would still check.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Bhargav

xyz123

Re: ILR for infant in India

Post by xyz123 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:51 pm

badbug27 wrote: Can we apply for her registration as British straight in India? I know chances are slim but thought would still check.
No, as she was born out of UK, she can not be registered as British Citizenship.

badbug27
Newly Registered

Re: ILR for infant in India

Post by badbug27 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:51 pm

xyz123 wrote:
badbug27 wrote: Can we apply for her registration as British straight in India? I know chances are slim but thought would still check.
No, as she was born out of UK, she can not be registered as British Citizenship.
Thanks for your response, I also read the guidance which mentions the same. However, I got an interesting reply from the citizenship helpline. They said that registration of both my daughters is at the discretion of the home secretary and so we could apply for my child's British citizenship. I knew this was the case for my daughter with ILR but not for the newborn. However, I won't be doing it as I'm unsure about it. Also, the adviser said that it is possible to even apply for citizenship for my wife when she is in India, which was surprising. I then checked with the British High commission in India and they said that yes it is possible but they only act as a "post office" and send all the documents to UK. I'm not going for this option as it would just delay their stay in India and also complicate things but just thought I would share it if it would be useful for anyone else.

Actually, the other question I have is do we HAVE to apply for her settlement visa? It just takes so long and I would like them to come home soon. Is there a chance we can apply under visitor visa or does anyone know if there is any facility for a same day service in India? I don't mind paying more but would like it to be done quick.

Thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:38 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

badbug27
Newly Registered

Post by badbug27 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Vinny, thanks. Actually I'd read that guidance which is quite useful. But can you/someone please let me know if there is a quicker way to process the settlement application, such as application in person?

Thanks in advance.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 04, 2011 9:14 am

badbug27 wrote:please let me know if there is a quicker way to process the settlement application, such as application in person?
No.

Everyone needs to apply in-person through VFS. And, there is no alternative application method for people wishing (and willing to pay) for quick turn around time.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!