ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residency in Canada- from US

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tcomp2
Newly Registered

Permanent residency in Canada- from US

Post by tcomp2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Hello!
I am a U.S. citizen that married a Canadian, and applied for permanent residency just recently. I applied outside of Canada, though I am currently living in Canada on a study permit. I read that it takes about 11 months, but I've heard it varies wildly (some take 4-5 months, some take a year a half). I am curious about other people's experiences- how long did it take for you to get permanent residency after you married a Canadian? (particularly I'm interested in US citizens who have married a Canadian and intend to live in Canada, obviously). Thanks!

giuseppenero

Post by giuseppenero » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I think you'll be treated like any other foreigner who's wife is Canadian. The timeline varies as you stated.
She'll have to sponsor you, which means proving that your combined present or future incomes will be sufficient to support you. Basically, Canada wants assurances that you will not become a "burden" on the state.

ddobro2
Newly Registered

Post by ddobro2 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:38 pm

I am in the exact same boat as you are, tcomp2. The thing about the variation is pretty accurate which makes it frustrating to have a clue. However, what I would suggest is to read OTHER people's timelines at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigr ... ship-b5.0/. Then you at least have something to make a comparison against.

The most consistent thing seems to be that they will tell you if the sponsorship is turned down or approved (I've never read about anyone being turned down though) one month after they receive the application. After studying the sponsor that they would turn their attention to the person being sponsored and the genuineness of the relationship. The file then goes to the visa office, which I'm assuming in your case is Buffalo. Needless to say, it's the proof of the relationship that is the most important variable.

Assuming you don't have any problems in your application everything could take toward the lower end of the scale (the 4 or so months). I sure hope so for you and me both.

I would disagree with giuseppenero that finances are among the top things to worry about in the process. I don't know for sure about the other provinces but for Quebec if you are sponsoring a spouse and not a child, you don't have to prove you are able to financially support them. They do ask if you're on state benefits or if you've not been able to pay back something to the state though. The "burden" on the state he mentioned comes in to play more, I think, for the medical checkup. I think you would have to have a medical serious condition for that to be the deciding factor though.