ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

salimsabu
Newly Registered

SC application form

Post by salimsabu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks for your suggestions 'london2009uk' and 'shajacksha'

I am still confused about the permenant address as I am not sure how long I will be staying at my current UK address.

Any thoughts!!!!

shajacksha

Re: SC application form

Post by shajacksha » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:41 pm

salimsabu wrote:Thanks for your suggestions 'london2009uk' and 'shajacksha'

I am still confused about the permenant address as I am not sure how long I will be staying at my current UK address.

Any thoughts!!!!
Are you worried because you are going to move to a different address in UK shortly or are you planning to move back to India permanently?

Teacup
Newly Registered

Post by Teacup » Thu May 05, 2011 8:38 pm

If they have made a spelling mistake in your fathers surname on the surrender certificate, would it matter too much while applying for the OCI? What would happen if you don't get this corrected before applying for the OCI? Is your fathers name reflected in the OCI?

Teacup

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Fri May 06, 2011 11:57 am

Teacup wrote:If they have made a spelling mistake in your fathers surname on the surrender certificate, would it matter too much while applying for the OCI? What would happen if you don't get this corrected before applying for the OCI? Is your fathers name reflected in the OCI?

Teacup
Don't you think it is probably best to get it corrected irrespective of whether it is referenced in OCI?. It just takes another week and you will never have to worry about it.

Teacup
Newly Registered

Post by Teacup » Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Yes, I agree that's the best, but I don't have much time. And what a waste of money for someone else's mistake! I am going to send it in as it is with a covering letter.

However, does the OCI reflect one's father's surname?

Teacup.

shajacksha

Post by shajacksha » Fri May 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Teacup wrote:Yes, I agree that's the best, but I don't have much time. And what a waste of money for someone else's mistake! I am going to send it in as it is with a covering letter.

However, does the OCI reflect one's father's surname?

Teacup.
If I remember correctly, yes.

TC

Surrender Certificate Timeline

Post by TC » Sun May 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi Guys,
I have posted applications for surrender certificates for me and my wife on Friday by special delivery. This will reach VFS office on Monday, 16th May. I will keep you updated regarding my time line. I am hoping to get the certificate by two weeks. Fngers crossed for spelling!
TC

TC

Timeline

Post by TC » Tue May 17, 2011 6:51 am

Two applications by special delivery: 13/05/2011
Reached VFS Office in Hayes: 16/05/2011
VFS processed application and sent to HCI: 19/05/2011

TC

Fees

Post by TC » Thu May 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi everyone,
Please make sure you pay the correct fees including the £2 additional consular fees. The fees per application is £115.24

klal
Newly Registered

Will HCI return passport surrendered under old scheme?

Post by klal » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:16 am

I had surrendered my old Indian passports back in 2010. As was the practice at that time, they retained the passports and issued a Surrender Certificate. Just a couple of months ago, we surrendered my wife's old Indian passport. This time, they returned the passport, clipped at the corner and issued the Surrender Certificate. Makes me think - any chance I could get my old Indian passports back - at least for sentimental reasons?

krazydude
Member of Standing

Re: Will HCI return passport surrendered under old scheme?

Post by krazydude » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:47 am

klal wrote:I had surrendered my old Indian passports back in 2010. As was the practice at that time, they retained the passports and issued a Surrender Certificate. Just a couple of months ago, we surrendered my wife's old Indian passport. This time, they returned the passport, clipped at the corner and issued the Surrender Certificate. Makes me think - any chance I could get my old Indian passports back - at least for sentimental reasons?
I doubt if they would have kept/stored your passport. I think the reason why they return the invalid passport back to you is because of space/storage issues. Its worthless to them, so why hang onto it.

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:11 am

Hmmmm...if storage space was the issue, they would have been better off returning the cancelled/defaced passports to the applicant right from the start. A little bit of foresight would have done them some good.
krazydude wrote:
klal wrote:I had surrendered my old Indian passports back in 2010. As was the practice at that time, they retained the passports and issued a Surrender Certificate. Just a couple of months ago, we surrendered my wife's old Indian passport. This time, they returned the passport, clipped at the corner and issued the Surrender Certificate. Makes me think - any chance I could get my old Indian passports back - at least for sentimental reasons?
I doubt if they would have kept/stored your passport. I think the reason why they return the invalid passport back to you is because of space/storage issues. Its worthless to them, so why hang onto it.

in-london
Newly Registered

Post by in-london » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:27 pm

klal - you could give it a try. But don't be too hopeful of a positive result!

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:37 pm

klal wrote:Hmmmm...if storage space was the issue, they would have been better off returning the cancelled/defaced passports to the applicant right from the start. A little bit of foresight would have done them some good.
Well hindsight is always 20/20. Processes evolve as the demand goes up. OCI's took 3 months to get issued not so long ago and are now being doled out on a weekly/fortnightly basis (barring some technical glitches which crop up sometimes).

You can try and ask HCI for your passport, but IMHO they struggle to answer basic questions based on policy/law which they should be aware of, so you should not get your hopes up.

TC

Re: Timeline

Post by TC » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:15 pm

TC wrote:Two applications by special delivery: 13/05/2011
More than two weeks, no sight of the surrender certificate?!

TC

Time Line

Post by TC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Two applications by special delivery: 13/05/2011
Received Surrender Certificates: 07/06/2011

They took more than 3 weeks for a postal application.

There is only one spelling mistake! in my wife surrender certificate. They have spelt the place of issue wrong. I will not bother to get this corrected.

I am going to bite the bullet and apply for OCI card by post.

inhereford
Newly Registered

Surrender of Indian passport

Post by inhereford » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:37 pm

Can anyone advice on time taken to receive surrender certificate? I surrendered mine in London in person 9 days ago and am still waiting for any information. The VFS tracking system just says 'sent to the High Commission for further assessment'. Help!!

model
Newly Registered

Surrender Indian passport and tourist visa to India

Post by model » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:18 am

I am in the process of appling British passport.
Can submit application for both surrender certificate and Tourist visa at same time. If yes what is the process.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Re: Surrender Indian passport and tourist visa to India

Post by krazydude » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:24 am

model wrote:I am in the process of appling British passport.
Can submit application for both surrender certificate and Tourist visa at same time. If yes what is the process.
1. To surrender Indian Passport - Search this thread and also see this site

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surenderind_pass.html

2. Tourist visa - Get your UK Passport and then apply thru VFS

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/touristvisa.html

model
Newly Registered

Post by model » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:20 am

krazydude wrote:
model wrote:I am in the process of appling British passport.
1. To surrender Indian Passport - Search this thread and also see this site

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surenderind_pass.html

2. Tourist visa - Get your UK Passport and then apply thru VFS

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/touristvisa.html
Thanks for Links. Just I would like to know whether we can submit both applications together (surrender certificate application and Tourist Visa application)

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:45 am

model wrote:
Thanks for Links. Just I would like to know whether we can submit both applications together (surrender certificate application and Tourist Visa application)
If you satisfy the requirements for both applications (as listed on the VFS site), then yes you can apply for both at the same time.

BSK

Post by BSK » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi,

I am planning to surrender my 3 year old son's Indian passport as he got his British Passport. I am still an Indian citizen with ILR status living in the UK. The surrender application asks for the applicant signature. Can I sign on his behalf and should I say that I am signing on his behalf some where in the application as there is no provision to fill for minor applicant.

Also any advice on the visa would be helpful. I am planning to apply for his visitor visa when I travel to India. I hope that even in the case of emergency you can apply a day in advance to get indian visa. I am planning to go for OCI once we all apply for it and would take a year from now to get my British passport.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
BSK

TC

Post by TC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi BSK. Yes you can sign on his behalf; I did the same when I applied for my children's surrender certificates.
If you are planning a visit to India I will recommend applying for visa at least 2 weeks in advance. In case of an emergency you can get VISA in a day but believe me it is a nightmare dealing with officials in the Indian High Commission. Recently one of my friends was in a similar situation and it was not a good experience.
BSK wrote:Hi,

I am planning to surrender my 3 year old son's Indian passport as he got his British Passport. I am still an Indian citizen with ILR status living in the UK. The surrender application asks for the applicant signature. Can I sign on his behalf and should I say that I am signing on his behalf some where in the application as there is no provision to fill for minor applicant.

Also any advice on the visa would be helpful. I am planning to apply for his visitor visa when I travel to India. I hope that even in the case of emergency you can apply a day in advance to get indian visa. I am planning to go for OCI once we all apply for it and would take a year from now to get my British passport.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
BSK

BSK

Post by BSK » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi TC,

Also can you confirm that we need to send postal application to the following address

India Visa Application Centre
1-3, Canalside,
Uxbridge Road
Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 0JN

And the application can be downloaded from the following link.

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surrender_pos ... ation.html

Thanks
BSK

TC

Post by TC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi BSK, You have got everything on board. Just send it with the list of documents in the bottom of the application. Postal applications are taking up to 3 weeks. TC