ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any medical exams needed for employment ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

iskander
Newly Registered

Any medical exams needed for employment ?

Post by iskander » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:16 pm

Hi

I got the WP and I'll be on my way to the embassy tomorrow to get the visa. Does anybody know if I need any medical exams at this point? how about any later?
Also, would I need any other documetns than the WP and the ones used to get the WP (that's all that is stated on the British Embassy web site).

Thanks

John

Post by John » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:29 pm

That varies around the world. You don't actually publicly disclose your country so it is impossible to be precise.

Log on to the British Embassy website for your country and see if there is any medical requirement.
John

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Africans (me) get x-rayed for TB at the airport, but as John says, it varies.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

iskander
Newly Registered

Post by iskander » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:09 pm

I am from Romania. I did check the embassy website and it doesn't say anything about it, but I don't know why it got stuck in my mind that I have to do it at some point. Also, in Romania according to the law when you get employed somewhere you have to do some medical exams (just a formality really). Do you have to do that in UK?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:17 pm

iskander wrote:Also, in Romania according to the law when you get employed somewhere you have to do some medical exams (just a formality really). Do you have to do that in UK?
Not as a general rule, although individual employers/companies can set their own requirements in this regard to some extent. However, if there were a company requirement for any medical tests, you would be told that. It's very unusual though, so I shouldn't expect it. And companies are not going to have different rules for work-permit holders and others with regard to medical tests: that would be illegal. (The government can do that sort of thing, but individuals and companies can't!)

John

Post by John » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:19 pm

I also cannot spot any medical requirement being mentioned on the website of the British Embassy in Romania.

It remains the case that on arrival at the port of entry in the UK you might be sent for a medical. Whether that actually happens might well depend upon the country you have arrived from, the medical facilities (if any) at the port/airport, etc.

Medical before you take up employment in the UK? In one word ... unusual .... but probably for some types of job it might happen.
John

iskander
Newly Registered

Post by iskander » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:36 pm

Thanks guys !