ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Converting Tier2 to ILR...can I skip dependents?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

oye_rg

Converting Tier2 to ILR...can I skip dependents?

Post by oye_rg » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi,
I am really confused about whether I should spend the money getting ILR for my son when I convert?

June 2006 - Arrived in UK on Work Permit with spouse on dependent visa

Oct 2006 - Son born in the UK. Got Indian passport and dependent visa stamped

June 2011 - Completing 5 year period for ILR. I have been in continuous employment with same company on WP/Tier 2 COS.

I now want to apply for ILR for myself and spouse but want to save the money for my son's ILR dependent visa as he will be getting a British passport in another year.

Can I do that? Or would my son's tier 2 dependent visa become invalid as soon as I get ILR for myself?

I know my case is peculiar but I am sure someone might have faced the same.

Thanks in advance

terriblescream
Pakistan

Re: Converting Tier2 to ILR...can I skip dependents?

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:46 pm

oye_rg wrote:Hi,
I am really confused about whether I should spend the money getting ILR for my son when I convert?

June 2006 - Arrived in UK on Work Permit with spouse on dependent visa

Oct 2006 - Son born in the UK. Got Indian passport and dependent visa stamped

June 2011 - Completing 5 year period for ILR. I have been in continuous employment with same company on WP/Tier 2 COS.

I now want to apply for ILR for myself and spouse but want to save the money for my son's ILR dependent visa as he will be getting a British passport in another year.

Can I do that? Or would my son's tier 2 dependent visa become invalid as soon as I get ILR for myself?

I know my case is peculiar but I am sure someone might have faced the same.

Thanks in advance
As far as I know, once you get the ILR, your son is eligble for British passport!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Almost.

After a parent is granted ILR, child born in the UK will be entitled for registration as a British citizen. Subsequently, he may apply for a British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

oye_rg

Post by oye_rg » Fri May 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks for your replies but my real question is a little tricky.

If I do not apply for my son's dependent ILR, he would remain on the dependent tier 2 visa. Now once I am granted ILR, my Tier 2 visa is effectively overridden and becomes invalid.

So would my son be illegally in the UK for the period between me getting the ILR and him getting a British passport? Would it affect his getting British passport in any way. We are not planning to travel before he gets his British passport so that is not a problem though.

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:06 pm

oye_rg wrote:Thanks for your replies but my real question is a little tricky.

If I do not apply for my son's dependent ILR, he would remain on the dependent tier 2 visa. Now once I am granted ILR, my Tier 2 visa is effectively overridden and becomes invalid.

So would my son be illegally in the UK for the period between me getting the ILR and him getting a British passport? Would it affect his getting British passport in any way. We are not planning to travel before he gets his British passport so that is not a problem though.
1. Even if you have ILR then your son's visa is still valid untill it expires in its own category.

blay1

Post by blay1 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:09 am

oye_rg wrote:Thanks for your replies but my real question is a little tricky.

As far as i am concerned your son can apply for british citizenship after you have got your ILR he is not suppose to wait for a year but you and your wife have to. Anyway i am in the same boat as you trying to save money by deciding whether to go for the ILR for myself and wife,then apply for british citizenship for my son which will save me from paying double money. Can the seniors please help us on this.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sat May 07, 2011 8:43 am

The rules are clear, your son will be apply for Citizenship, after you get ILR, straightaway.
There could be two reasons for you to include him in your ILR
1.You do not want him to apply for Citizenship straightaway
2.His visa is expiring before you get ILR.

oye_rg

Post by oye_rg » Sun May 08, 2011 11:17 am

gidoc wrote:The rules are clear, your son will be apply for Citizenship, after you get ILR, straightaway.
There could be two reasons for you to include him in your ILR
1.You do not want him to apply for Citizenship straightaway
2.His visa is expiring before you get ILR.
Thanks Gidoc this is most useful

Point #1 does not apply but for point #2 the situation is tricky again.

I can apply for ILR on 27 May (28 days before completion of 5 years). My son's visa expires on 14 June.

Does it leave me enough time to take a chance?

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sun May 08, 2011 3:35 pm

You should be thus be able to get your ILR on 27/05, then next day you can apply for your son's naturalisation. You will still have more than 2 wks.

However, you need to be sure that all the paperwork for your son's application is at hand.

Personal advise: Why stress yourself?, its not worth the money you may save, apply for your son's ILR along with yourself and be done with it.

maliimran
Newly Registered

Post by maliimran » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:42 pm

ash786 wrote:
1. Even if you have ILR then your son's visa is still valid untill it expires in its own category.
I am in a similar situation. I have got ILR but my wife and son need to wait few more weeks before they are eligible. They have a valid dependent VISA until May 2012. Do I need to get their current status changed as my dependants or to save application fees wait for few more weeks and apply for ILR in their own right (10 year rule)?

Please advise - your help will be highly appreciated.