ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

canadian or british or both? confused

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mama2011
Newly Registered

canadian or british or both? confused

Post by mama2011 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi
i live in canada and the father of my two children is british and lives in britain (he was british born). Can i apply for a canadian passport for my children first (which is cheaper and much quicker process compare to the overseas uk applying process for a british passport) and then when in the uk can his father apply for a british passport so he can remain in the uk (applying for a uk passport is much simpler and quicker whilst in the uk) And our children will be british through decent?

Or will our child need any further paperwork to remain in the uk?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Fri May 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Based on what you post, your children are both Canadian and British and so are entitled to both passports.

A Canadian citizen can (generally) enter the UK without a visa for a period of 6 months as a visitor (i.e. assuming that no work etc is intended). However, what are you/they going to say when interviewed at passport control on entry to the UK if the intention is for them to stay for more than 6 months? You can't really say, "They're British citizens but they don't have a British passport yet; their British father is going to apply for passports while they're here" — well, you could, but it would result in delays on entry at best.

In reality, it would be far simpler, I'd say, for them to travel to the UK with both passports already in their possession.

mama2011
Newly Registered

Post by mama2011 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:16 am

Does anyone know how long it takes for a first child's passport to come through from washington to canada? It says they are having processing delays and ive read it takes atleast 6wks normally...The reason i was going to get them a canadian passport is because i can do it fast tracked and have it in 2-10days.

I was giving a number to call washington british embassey but its a premium number, needing credit card details :(