ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

An American remaining in Ireland as a tourist?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

LindsayBean
Newly Registered

An American remaining in Ireland as a tourist?

Post by LindsayBean » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:46 pm

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me. Just for clarification, i'm an American.

I've been working in Ireland the last four months on a student work exchange permit (nevermind the fact i finished university awhile ago). My employer tried to sponsor me however FAS rejected my job saying it is ineligible (although not listed on their website as such). Since i can't work here any longer my boyfriend and i have decided to move to New Zealand as Ireland has no unmarried partner laws. However, my boyfriend's work contract is not up 'til November so we don't want to leave before then. I did the right thing and left the country as soon as my permit was up and spent 2 weeks abroad and have come back to Ireland. When i came back in the man at immigration seemed rather wary of me and reluctantly gave me a stamp and wrote in a date of 2 months later ('til the end of August).

Ideally i want to stay here until November. I'm financially sound to cover the time while i'm here and we're booking our tickets and organizing my visa for New Zealand this week. Is there any possible way i will be able to stay 'til then? I know when i previously spoke with someone in GNIB before my work permit started he told me that the green tourist stamp was for 3 months (regardless of what they write in it) which would put me here until September. If i go out and try to come back in again (therefore getting a new stamp) is it likely i'll encounter much resistance? To be honest i've a new fear of immigration officials after a close friend of mine was refused entry into the UK (for really no good reason) and sent back to the states. As my visa to New Zealand requires that i've never been deported or refused entry anywhere i'm trying to make sure i cross all my T's and dot all my i's so to speak :-).

Also when i've been leaving Ireland i usually go to the UK as having previously lived there that's where all my mates are and it's the closest place. However the UK doesn't stamp my passport.

Alternatively If i stay pass the expiration of the stamp in my passport is it likely anyone will notice/care? When i came back in the immigration official saw my previous Garda registration number written in my passport and looked me up and made some notes.

I know this is rather long winded, but it has been stressing me out big time so any advice anyone can give would be very very greatly appreciated.

mirmick
Newly Registered

Few Tips

Post by mirmick » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:04 pm

One of friend had a same situation and I know its hard to get workpermit over here in Ireland.
What you can do, you should go to GNB office with your girlfried, make sure she brings her passport and GNB card with her, and ask one of the immigration officer to extend your visa up to the visa time of your girl friend. I dont think they will refuse. There is a good chance that they will give you but your girl friend should have a proof that she is working here.

LindsayBean
Newly Registered

Re: Few Tips

Post by LindsayBean » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:09 pm

mirmick wrote:One of friend had a same situation and I know its hard to get workpermit over here in Ireland.
What you can do, you should go to GNB office with your girlfried, make sure she brings her passport and GNB card with her, and ask one of the immigration officer to extend your visa up to the visa time of your girl friend. I dont think they will refuse. There is a good chance that they will give you but your girl friend should have a proof that she is working here.
Well the thing is my boyfriend has a UK passport. When i said work contract i meant literally his employment contract NOT his work visa. He could stay as long as he wanted it's just me with the problem. So he has no registration card as he counts as an EU citizen. We've been together over a year and living together for 6 months but again as there's no unmarried partner laws here that doesn't seem to really matter.

Thanks for the suggestion i really do appreaciate any help.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:37 pm

ok. it does not matter which eu national your bf is. i think your a bit confuse with your visa and permission to remain. when u came into ireland, they will give u 3 months stamps anyway since u have an american passport. do not mix up about the visa and permission to remain!

i take it as u just want to stay here to be with your bf and wait til your nz application finalize? right? here is my suggestion. u can try it or leave it. as u said, u have enough money to stay in the country til november. i think what u need to do is go to the gnib with your bf. bring your nz applicaiton stuff(receipt of the application charge or anything to do with the application etc), your bank statements which can proof that u have enough money to stay til november and any documents that can shows u were living with your bf for past year(bills or lease of aprtment). then what u need to do is explain to the people in gnib your situation. trust me. may be u dont have a work permit. but they can authorize to extend your permission to remain in ireland til whenever they want with a good reason. just explain to them your plan to leave in november and u just waiting for your bf to finish his contract and u have enough money to stay. DO NOT leave the gnib without an answer. if u go up to the stupid windows number one in there. most likely u get an answer NO, so dont do that. just pull a ticket and talk to someone. i do not know have u talk to anyone about this in gnib at all other then your work permit. i certainly think u go to ask them instead of u listen to people here guess what they can do to u is a better idea. what can they do to u if u only ask some questions? the only thing they can do is to say no since u still have a valid stamps in the country, right?

or u can keep trying to leave the country every 3 months and come back. i doubt they will send u back from dublin to states but i am sure they will ask u loads of questions when u come back in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and if u dont believe what i say about the permission to remain. go read it in the department of justice website at www.justice.ie or go talk to some immigration adivce place(eg. migrant right center or immigrant council ireland). it is free!

good luck and let me know if it works for u or not! trust me, it doesnt hurt to ask. i used to be in work permit myself and i read up about all the regulations about the immigration here and i switched myself to work authorization. i was down to gnib for sometime to fix myself up few years ago as well and i never got into trouble because i was doing anything illegal in the country. i believe ur not doing anything illegaly here, so why not try to ask!

by the way, my english is not that good, so i hope u can understand what i am trying to say above!