ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Residency of Another Country on My Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CheerfulBelle
Newly Registered

Permanent Residency of Another Country on My Passport

Post by CheerfulBelle » Mon May 09, 2011 12:09 pm

This board is one of a kind :D

I have searched the board for a similar situation, and I apologise if this question has been answered elsewhere.

I will be applying for citizenship soon, and I have a permanent residence permit from another country. I applied for this whilst still on a work permit and got this before my ILR. I am not married to a British national, and I am now concerned that the existence of this residence permit will affect my application.

I have read some of the guidance, most notably this one: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ch18annexf

I am wondering how I can go about proving that I intend to reside in the UK? Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Re: Permanent Residency of Another Country on My Passport

Post by jms_uk » Mon May 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Very interesting question :)

What is the other country, and are you living in UK? If you are living in the UK and haven't been living in the other country, that second permit might not be valid?

In a similar way one can lose ILR if absent from UK for more than 2 yeers.
CheerfulBelle wrote:This board is one of a kind :D

I have searched the board for a similar situation, and I apologise if this question has been answered elsewhere.

I will be applying for citizenship soon, and I have a permanent residence permit from another country. I applied for this whilst still on a work permit and got this before my ILR. I am not married to a British national, and I am now concerned that the existence of this residence permit will affect my application.

I have read some of the guidance, most notably this one: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ch18annexf

I am wondering how I can go about proving that I intend to reside in the UK? Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

CheerfulBelle
Newly Registered

Post by CheerfulBelle » Mon May 09, 2011 10:38 pm

I live and work in the UK which is how I qualified for the ILR, 5 years on a work permit, and then 1 year with ILR.

I applied for an Australian permanent residence a while ago, and this is still valid. I however intend to live in the UK, and am wondering whether the existence of this visa will be a problem.

Going through this board, a few people have had a similar situation to mine, but there is scant information about whether this was an issue or not when applying for citizenship. Any opinions are welcome.

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Tue May 10, 2011 8:12 pm

Assuming you fullfill all the other standard requirments for naturalization your only worry seems to be related to the future intention requirment. However, since you recieved your Australian PR prior to your British ILR I don't think the HO will have any issue with this because you intend to live in the UK in future. I think at worst they might ask you to clarify but I see no reason why they would reject your application as you declare there that you intend to live in the UK.

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Tue May 10, 2011 9:11 pm

How will they know this? Use NCS - you do not need to send passport.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Sky_High wrote:How will they know this? Use NCS - you do not need to send passport.
The NCS will photocopy each page of the passport, I imagine.

But I don't think it's a problem, provided that the OP fulfils the requirements for naturalisation. In any case, the application for the Australian visa was made before ILR was obtained in the UK, and it doesn't sound as if it's been acted on. Doesn't look to me as if that'll cause any difficulties.

allta

Post by allta » Wed May 11, 2011 12:14 pm

Backer wrote:Assuming you fullfill all the other standard requirments for naturalization your only worry seems to be related to the future intention requirment. However, since you recieved your Australian PR prior to your British ILR I don't think the HO will have any issue with this because you intend to live in the UK in future. I think at worst they might ask you to clarify but I see no reason why they would reject your application as you declare there that you intend to live in the UK.
To the OP, forget it....you're fine.

HO will first look at what you filled on the form to satisfy future intentions. Then, they will look at the residential requirements (i.e. last 1year and/or 5/3years rep.); if you fail both of these two bullet points, then they will question your future intentions.

You can have as many ILRs from other countries as you like, this wouldn't affect your citizenship at all. Consider someone married to a British who already has an ILR from another country. Will they deny him/her because of this? absolutely not! As long as the residential req is met, future intentions are normally satisfied unless if you declined to live in the UK after being granted the citizenship. There are so many people who said they will live in the UK thereafter but still relocate after the citizenship anyways.
No man can be an Island of Knowledge, a Tree doesn't make a forest

CheerfulBelle
Newly Registered

Post by CheerfulBelle » Wed May 18, 2011 5:54 am

Thank you all for your help.
I went through the NCS to submit my application this week. I took all my passports (expired and current) and the lady who dealt with my application took photocopies of my passports as is standard practice. She did not comment on my visa, but did comment in passing that she did not foresee any problems. So now the waiting begins...

Thanks again everyone who took the time to respond, I shall let you know how it goes :)

CheerfulBelle
Newly Registered

Post by CheerfulBelle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Update: I got my Citizenship approved end of July 2011.

The application process was straight forward. No issues at all.

Again, thanks for all your replies. You make this site the best there ever was! :D