ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

14 Year Continuous Residence ILR Application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lumera
- thin ice -

Post by lumera » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:30 am

rajjaji wrote:Congratulations chore123,
Even though your lawyer seems fishy. It's great news that you have some type of status. I can confirm to you that legal aid is available if you qualify, you only have to pay home office application fees.
I am still waiting for an answer, its now been 20 months since I applied under 14 year rule. My mum is also in same position. Thankfully my brother and sister were granted ILR even though our applications went in at the same time. Both have secured very good jobs as an investment banker starting in September and away a doctor respectively. They are just grateful they can finally start repaying this great country the debt they owe to society.
Rajaji
Congratulations rajjaji on the success of your siblings...your mothers' is on the way...It is terrible the hell people through...I am sure the great sustainer is more than enough!

lumera
- thin ice -

Re: news, good/bad

Post by lumera » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:43 am

chorc123 wrote:I have asked him to send us a copy of passport to us. Yes, I know we shouldn't get DL instead of ILR. I don't know if it was because he didn't enclosed life in the UK test. I don't think it was because ILR refusal then we got DL instead. If it was the reason, UKBA should state on the letter.
Hi chorc123,

Like I said in the past, your story touched me!
Indeed, I must say at this point that you shouldn't trust this solicitor ANYMORE...do not pay even a pound ANYMORE...the kind of fees you're quoting I haven't heard of it NOWHERE and what you've expended so far should have fetched you this ILR...

If indeed he's gotten you a DLTR as he claimed then many congratulations but it seems you might have gotten the REAL DEAL...but before you celebrate, have u seen evidence of it?...For all you know, this criminal of a solicitor may be out to milk you more as he may be in debt...There are cases of solicitors being stripped for mis-managing client money/fees all over the place...so first step is to check that this solicitor isn't discredited or stripped altogether...

I think I know how to close this case out...I am now ready to take this very personally...

Please PM me your solicitor's details urgently...Also, any UKBA document you have to date provide urgently... the most recent ones the better...I promise you this will be closed out well.., and your solicitor, if he's truly practicing might be rounding up his practice very soon!

I will advise how to take this forward. I am extremely pained...

I am sensing your solicitor sees you as a cash-cow that can always be milked at ANYTIME.....

PM .....please do not waste time!

Joejo

Post by Joejo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:03 am

Hey Rajjaji

thanks for sharing wit me our struggles lol,anyway not done anything different from what you've done yaself so far, however my last attempt with the MP in Nov last year got me a reply through MP in Jan sayin "WE COMFIRM THAT YOUR HUMAN RIGHTS APPLICATION ART 8 AND APPLICATION FOR LEAVE TO REMAIN AS A CARER HAS BEEN ALLOCATED TO ICC1,7TH FLOOR LUNAR HSE.THEY CANT TELL EXACTLY WHEN I'LL BE NOTIFIED BUT THE LENGTH OF TIME AND CIRCUMSTANCES IN MY CASE HAVE BEEN TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT AND THEY WILL LOOK TO REACH A DECISION ASAP".Rang them ICC1 they said they only deal with military cases which excludes mine so am real puzzled.Then i get on the fone to UKBA gat same response like we al do saying my case not concluded yet.Just dont no what next step to take but MP says if they not done by end of July 2011 then i should let her know and she will do wat she can to asist me.So just asked my solicitors to write to them and chase it up.May be take it from there.What a life heyyyy.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi lumera,
thank you very much. You are very kind person.
I have contacted another solicitor, Victioria on the other forum. She is going to help us and trying to sort the mess out.
Now, even as she said, my solicitor might not even enclosed our life in the UK test to UKBA. Therefore, it ended up only gave us 3 years DL. She said, she needed to see our SAR file before she knows what to do exactly. I am hoping I don't need to pay more. Victoria said she might able to fight for us about the money. If it was UKBA fault, we should be given ILR rather than DL, then it wouldn't be too expensive to get it sort out. If we do need to file a fresh application, then it would be only few hundred pounds rather thousands.
The ' good' news or better news is; we are going to see benefit and housing people to get our life better. We don't want to just stay on the dole, however, we need to get over the rough patch. My partner got a full time job and I am going to look for one and go to study as well.
Life is still very harsh and have to count for every penny, if we think on the better side, we don't have to scare if we get caught when were illegal.
I know the DL won't be forever option, if the law does change, then it is very difficult to get ILR and citizenship in future. We need to sort it out as soon as possible.
Again, thank you very much you care about us. Some people would automatically think when somebody is on DL, he/she must be illegal and beg for residence here.
May be I should sell my story and make some money haha.

lumera
- thin ice -

Post by lumera » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:56 pm

chorc123 wrote:Hi lumera,
thank you very much. You are very kind person.
I have contacted another solicitor, Victioria on the other forum. She is going to help us and trying to sort the mess out.
Now, even as she said, my solicitor might not even enclosed our life in the UK test to UKBA. Therefore, it ended up only gave us 3 years DL. She said, she needed to see our SAR file before she knows what to do exactly. I am hoping I don't need to pay more. Victoria said she might able to fight for us about the money. If it was UKBA fault, we should be given ILR rather than DL, then it wouldn't be too expensive to get it sort out. If we do need to file a fresh application, then it would be only few hundred pounds rather thousands.
The ' good' news or better news is; we are going to see benefit and housing people to get our life better. We don't want to just stay on the dole, however, we need to get over the rough patch. My partner got a full time job and I am going to look for one and go to study as well.
Life is still very harsh and have to count for every penny, if we think on the better side, we don't have to scare if we get caught when were illegal.
I know the DL won't be forever option, if the law does change, then it is very difficult to get ILR and citizenship in future. We need to sort it out as soon as possible.
Again, thank you very much you care about us. Some people would automatically think when somebody is on DL, he/she must be illegal and beg for residence here.
May be I should sell my story and make some money haha.
Great...that you've contacted Victoria...She's capable of closing this out.
Regarding your story, it should sell!
Good luck and all the very best...

chorc123

update situation

Post by chorc123 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi everybody,
We went to see our MP today. He said he will take the case. We have intstructed another solicitor, and hopefully everything will go ok.
We are trying to get everything in order, NI number, benefits, apply for job. However, we like a ball and being kicking around!!!!!
Very tough time, and waiting for new ILR application file in.!!!

lumera
- thin ice -

Re: update situation

Post by lumera » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:07 pm

chorc123 wrote:Hi everybody,
We went to see our MP today. He said he will take the case. We have intstructed another solicitor, and hopefully everything will go ok.
We are trying to get everything in order, NI number, benefits, apply for job. However, we like a ball and being kicking around!!!!!
Very tough time, and waiting for new ILR application file in.!!!
Good luck...this story will have a happy ending!

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Good luck...this story will have a happy ending![/quote]

Thank you very much. We will post here when we have any news.
Hopefully, it won't be another year!!!.
We have been messing around for years, desparate for new life.

rajjaji
Newly Registered

Post by rajjaji » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:43 pm

Very quite here. Just thought give you an update on my situation. Me and my mother are still waiting for a decision on our applications. It's now been 22 months since we sent the applications. On my application I have heard nothing since the acknowledgment letter confirming they received my application. As far as my mother is concerned UKBA asked for some more information last month which we have sent a reply for. It's been a month since but no answer.
Rajaji

chorc123

update situation

Post by chorc123 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:14 pm

rajjaji wrote:Very quite here. Just thought give you an update on my situation. Me and my mother are still waiting for a decision on our applications. It's now been 22 months since we sent the applications. On my application I have heard nothing since the acknowledgment letter confirming they received my application. As far as my mother is concerned UKBA asked for some more information last month which we have sent a reply for. It's been a month since but no answer.
Rajaji
Just to update my situation, our new solicitor received SAR file. It was the previous solicitor fault, he didn't apply ILR under 14 years rule. Now we are fighting for refunds and my passport and documents to be returned.
On the SAR, UKBA even acknowledged that we are quailified for ILR however the previous solicitor didn't get it right. So, we were granted 3 years DL instead.
Now, I am hoping we can apply ILR straight way.
Desperate for new life!!!!!

rajjaji
Newly Registered

Post by rajjaji » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:20 pm

chorc123 wrote: Just to update my situation, our new solicitor received SAR file. It was the previous solicitor fault, he didn't apply ILR under 14 years rule. Now we are fighting for refunds and my passport and documents to be returned.
On the SAR, UKBA even acknowledged that we are quailified for ILR however the previous solicitor didn't get it right. So, we were granted 3 years DL instead.
Chorc123,

You should complain about this solicitor to their governing body, he should be struck off the way he's treated you. Goodluck in claiming your money back. And nice to hear, finally you have a solicitor who knows what they are doing
Anyway is their any chance you private message me your solicitor's details, as I feel it might be the time to change my solicitor. Its been 22 months since my application and I feel my solicitor could be much more active in regards to my application. I do like my current solicitor and would say she is quite good but sometimes its worth getting other peoples opinion as they might have other ideas to quicken the process.

rajjaji

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:28 pm

rajjaji wrote:
chorc123 wrote: Just to update my situation, our new solicitor received SAR file. It was the previous solicitor fault, he didn't apply ILR under 14 years rule. Now we are fighting for refunds and my passport and documents to be returned.
Chorc123,

You should complain about this solicitor to their governing body, he should be struck off the way he's treated you. Goodluck in claiming your money back. And nice to hear, finally you have a solicitor who knows what they are doing
Anyway is their any chance you private message me your solicitor's details, as I feel it might be the time to change my solicitor. Its been 22 months since my application and I feel my solicitor could be much more active in regards to my application. I do like my current solicitor and would say she is quite good but sometimes its worth getting other peoples opinion as they might have other ideas to quicken the process.

Raja
I am hoping to get some money back to fund for new application. It was a torture for going through last 3 years, the worst time in 16 years. I hope this new ILR application will go through quickly as UKBA has all details which qualified for ILR. My new solicitor is Victoria Sharkey. She is brilliant.

rajjaji
Newly Registered

Post by rajjaji » Thu May 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi chorc123,

Just wanted to ask if you have found the reason why you were given 3 years discretionary leave instead of ILR? Was it because your lawyer didn't send your Life in UK Test certificate?

Plus here's an update on my situation, follow th link and go towards the end of the post.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=70592

Regards,

rajjaji

chorc123

update situation

Post by chorc123 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:06 pm

rajjaji wrote:Hi chorc123,

Just wanted to ask if you have found the reason why you were given 3 years discretionary leave instead of ILR? Was it because your lawyer didn't send your Life in UK Test certificate?

Plus here's an update on my situation, follow th link and go towards the end of the post.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=70592

Regards,

rajjaji
Hi everybody,
I was just going to post an update of my situation.
Now, my case is going on with ombusman. I am hoping I can get some refunds. Our supposed to be ILR application ended up like that during to the ' solicitor' didn't ask for ILR for us. The HO even put down a note on SAR file, we have been qualified and would have been granted at the time of issuing 3 years DL. They can also even seen my Life in the UK test Certs. I think it is because the 'solicitor' didn't put 2 seperate forms for us or he simply wants more money for further application.
I am going to apply ILR without my passport. I do not need any more evident for the first 14 years and life in the UK as the UKBA has copies and seen them.
The' solicitor' still refused to admit his faults and wrong doing. He offered to waive the 'outstanding' and return the documents, or if we still take further action, he will only send my passport to our country of origin Embassy. It means I will have a big trouble to get my passport back. Now, we decided to this case further, we asked for further investigation and refund. I still have no ID or passport myself at the moment.
Hopefully, my ILR application will come through straight away.
It is still very difficult time. Only one of us got part time job, still not even a penny of benefits. I am still looking for job.

rajjaji
Newly Registered

Post by rajjaji » Thu May 12, 2011 6:17 pm

chorc123 what do you mean, you have not still received your documents if your old solicitor is holding your documents then that is illegal. I am sure you can complain not only to solicitors regulatory authority but also probably to the police. Also as you've received your 3 years DL, you can apply for all benefits that are normally available to UK residents if your financial position is poor. I hope your situation is resolved quickly.
Best regards,

rajjaji

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:36 pm

rajjaji wrote:chorc123 what do you mean, you have not still received your documents if your old solicitor is holding your documents then that is illegal. I am sure you can complain not only to solicitors regulatory authority but also probably to the police. Also as you've received your 3 years DL, you can apply for all benefits that are normally available to UK residents if your financial position is poor. I hope your situation is resolved quickly.
Best regards,

rajjaji
yes, he is still holding my documents and passport even ombusman is investigating. He offers to return the passport only to Embassy, yes, not me!!!. It makes me very difficult to take it back from Embassy and it is 250 miles away and not known if the embassy will let me to collect it. As I have no ID myself. I know the solicitor behaviour is very disgusting. I know he just uses it as ransom, that is drop the case, don't ask for refund, then he will release directly to my new rep.
Yes, we have apply for child benefits and tax credits. They take 3 months for them but still nothing. We cannot apply for housing benefits as tax credit still on hold. I can only start looking for job recently, as my SAR just come back and my new rep could write me a letter to proof my status.
I am just so ashamed that the 'solicitor' is come from the same nation as me.
As far as I know, the passport is belongs to the issue country, that means it is not British passport then police have no power to get it for me.
nightmare is still on 24 hours a day!!!

UKPM75
Newly Registered

Post by UKPM75 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi forumte, Thank you for the helpfull information/discussion on this forum, i have been scrasing my head on how to make this Application for 14 continuous long stay. but no idea until today i found this forum through internet google.

Kindly advice me on my own situation before it getting too late as "Law could be change in a minute here.

my situation is, I have been in United kingdom illegally since 1997 and i have been working illegally on and off, but my most concern now is that since i didnt knew what future will hold back in 1997 i didnt keep any document of any related job i did then until 2003, when i realised that continuous living in UK for 14 years and above hav the chance of applying for ILR. since this time 2003 i decided keeping my employmeny history safe.

now, i want to apply for ilr under the 14 years any moment from now before it too late,

Can somebody advice me on the following issue:

1. what will i do for that of 1997-2003 that have lost the document relating to those years

2. can somebody provide an experience low cost lawyer that can take my case up for me.

3. can someone tell me other things i need to do b4 the application as i need to Apply as soon as possible.

Note. During my stay in Uk i had 2 children with an Internation student parthner age- first 3 years and the second is 1 month old.

Thank u all.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:04 pm

UKPM75 wrote:Hi forumte, Thank you for the helpfull information/discussion on this forum, i have been scrasing my head on how to make this Application for 14 continuous long stay. but no idea until today i found this forum through internet google.

Kindly advice me on my own situation before it getting too late as "Law could be change in a minute here.

my situation is, I have been in United kingdom illegally since 1997 and i have been working illegally on and off, but my most concern now is that since i didnt knew what future will hold back in 1997 i didnt keep any document of any related job i did then until 2003, when i realised that continuous living in UK for 14 years and above hav the chance of applying for ILR. since this time 2003 i decided keeping my employmeny history safe.

now, i want to apply for ilr under the 14 years any moment from now before it too late,

Can somebody advice me on the following issue:

1. what will i do for that of 1997-2003 that have lost the document relating to those years

2. can somebody provide an experience low cost lawyer that can take my case up for me.

3. can someone tell me other things i need to do b4 the application as i need to Apply as soon as possible.

Note. During my stay in Uk i had 2 children with an Internation student parthner age- first 3 years and the second is 1 month old.

Thank u all.
The only way is get legal advice. If you cannot porvide evidents for first few years, it could be trouble. If you entered UK legally then you should able to check out. I think your children are too young to support a discretionary remain application for yourself. I think the only is gathering 14 years 'evidence' to apply for ILR. If you can provide proof of address, bank statement etc for first few years to support your application, you will have great chance.

DarkKnight007
Newly Registered

Post by DarkKnight007 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:16 pm

@ UKPM75 :

You also need to pass either ESOL or Life in the UK test depending on how good your english is.

la_donga
Newly Registered

ILR application after 14 years

Post by la_donga » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi! all

I applied for ILR in April on 14 years rule basis. I came to the UK on student visa in 1996 and kept extending my student visa until April 2005. After that I overstayed my visa and now I have applied for ILR after completing 14 years (lawful + unlawful) period in the UK. I had my bank statements, credit card bills, letter from colleges and other misc. paper work to prove that I have been in the UK from 1996 right upto October 2006.

Unfortunately after that I ran into financial difficulties and my bank account got closed so I don't have any financial paper work to prove that I have been in the UK since 2006. I was a named driver on a car insurance between 2008-2011 which I sent it with my application along some other correspondance which I have been receiving during the last 4-5 years. I was also invovled with a sports trust doing voluntary work and I was attending their committee meetings so I also sent the minutes of the committee meetings which show my attendance to prove that I have been in the UK.

I sent a character/refernce letter from my landlord which states that I have renting from 2007 to right upto now along with few other reference letters from friends and associates.

However this is still nagging me that it might not be enough. So I was wondering if anyone else might be in a similar situation as mine. If you have managed to obtain your ILR, I would be grateful if you can share your experience and any advice you might have for me.

Although I have already submitted my application for which I received acknowledgement letter dated 27th April stating that my case will be allocated to a case worker. I am just wondering is there anything else I can do to obtain a favourable outcome.

Its driving me mad so your help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

chorc123

Re: ILR application after 14 years

Post by chorc123 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:39 pm

la_donga wrote:Hi! all

I applied for ILR in April on 14 years rule basis. I came to the UK on student visa in 1996 and kept extending my student visa until April 2005. After that I overstayed my visa and now I have applied for ILR after completing 14 years (lawful + unlawful) period in the UK. I had my bank statements, credit card bills, letter from colleges and other misc. paper work to prove that I have been in the UK from 1996 right upto October 2006.

Unfortunately after that I ran into financial difficulties and my bank account got closed so I don't have any financial paper work to prove that I have been in the UK since 2006. I was a named driver on a car insurance between 2008-2011 which I sent it with my application along some other correspondance which I have been receiving during the last 4-5 years. I was also invovled with a sports trust doing voluntary work and I was attending their committee meetings so I also sent the minutes of the committee meetings which show my attendance to prove that I have been in the UK.

I sent a character/refernce letter from my landlord which states that I have renting from 2007 to right upto now along with few other reference letters from friends and associates.

However this is still nagging me that it might not be enough. So I was wondering if anyone else might be in a similar situation as mine. If you have managed to obtain your ILR, I would be grateful if you can share your experience and any advice you might have for me.

Although I have already submitted my application for which I received acknowledgement letter dated 27th April stating that my case will be allocated to a case worker. I am just wondering is there anything else I can do to obtain a favourable outcome.

Its driving me mad so your help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I think you will be fine. Do you have legal rep for the case?
However, nobody can tell you how long will it take.

thelastman
Newly Registered

Fantastic News

Post by thelastman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Dear All

I am absolutely glad to inform you all that I received my ILR on the 8th of this month. Been absolutely ecstatic, and busy partying so sorry for the late feed back. It was a real shock to get the news. I was ready for a 6 months at least, but it took just less than 2 months . So I'm thankful. Hope this gives some people some much needed hope.

Application sent: 31 March 2011
UKBA Acknowledgement: 4 Apr 2011
Payment Claimed: 11 Apr 2011
ILR Granted: 26 May
ILR Received: 8 June 2011

Good luck to all those that are still waiting.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

thelastman
Newly Registered

Post by thelastman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:52 pm

@ la_donga

I think you have covered everything as best as you can. I was also worried about a lot of things; if I needed more documents to submit. In the end I just had to trust that I had done my best and be positive.
I also had a couple of years I did not have enough records for. I had to get a letter from my GP to show attendance. So your dental and medical record can help, I even used letters from my previous solicitor to prove residence. My solicitor told me I only needed one document for each year, because I felt I needed as much as possible.
You finished your post by saying that its driving you mad thinking about what you can still do... I think you should be positive and send nothing but positive energy out about you application. I'm not particularly into hocus pocus myself, but I found it was good for my health (as I could have driven myself mad with worry) and perhaps did help the outcome as well :)

thelastman
Newly Registered

Post by thelastman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 pm

@UKPM75

Any documents you have for that period can help.

Bank Statements
All Bills
Medical Records (Doctor's Letter)
Hmrc can provide a letter confirming your NI contributions of the years
You can try and contact employers no matter how long to confirm your dates of employment.
Rent Contract
Signed Letters from people who knew you to be living in the country at the time.
Your solicitor will talk through more possibilities with you.

Most Good Solicitors don't come cheap. Try and search for the Immigration Advisory Service in your local area.

Read through this thread thoroughly and other old Long Residency threads. Study the Set O form and guide. Read the UKBA section for Long Term Residency.

Best of luck with your application

la_donga
Newly Registered

Post by la_donga » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:06 am

Dear Forum Members,

First of all I want to thank thelastman and chorc123 for taking the time to reply to my previous post. It was helpful to put my mind at ease. But generally this forum has been really helpful throughout the whole process of applying for ILR.

I am over the moon cos I received my ILR yesterday and can't put into words how fantastic it feels :D. Just to let anyone else who is waiting for their ILR, the whole process took about 10 weeks. I posted the application on 15th April, received the acknowledgement on 27th April and on 24th June got all the paper work back along with the MOST IMPORTANT thing the ILR stamp.

I wish everyone all the best and especially those people whose applications are being currently processed. Hope your wait is over soon.

Cheers.