ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Remain in UK 5 days after submitting

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alex27
Newly Registered

Remain in UK 5 days after submitting

Post by alex27 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:48 am

Hi everyone,
I'm a little confused about this requirement that you have to be in the UK for a week after you apply for citizenship. Does anyone know why this is? And how exactly would they even know if you are here or not??
Thx for your help!

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Remain in UK 5 days after submitting

Post by Christophe » Fri May 13, 2011 10:22 am

alex27 wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm a little confused about this requirement that you have to be in the UK for a week after you apply for citizenship. Does anyone know why this is? And how exactly would they even know if you are here or not??
Thx for your help!
Is it actually a requirement or is it just advice? You must be in the UK on the day that that the Home Office actually receives your application (i.e. not on the day that it is posted). The 5 days allows for posting and delivery, and also for the application to get into their system (i.e. not just be sitting in a pile of letters on the front desk of their post-room somewhere).

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Fri May 13, 2011 9:09 pm

NCS will ask you to sign a document to say that you are not traveling in the next one week. This is just to make sure that when its received by HO you are in the country, this is a statutory requirement. UKBA can find out quite easily if you left the country, should they need to do so.

XtotheZ
Newly Registered

Post by XtotheZ » Mon May 16, 2011 10:12 am

When I asked the lady at the NCS, she told me that when they receive the application they have 5 days to ask you for any supporting or extra documents. But obviously that is not the case, because it takes weeks for them to ask for more documents.

kumar12
Newly Registered

clarification

Post by kumar12 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi,

I submitted my application on 13th May and booked tickets for abroad on 18th May.
Through royal mail tracking I found that my applicaton reached home office today morning. so can I travel on 18th or do I need to postpone for 2 more days.

thanks for the reply.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon May 16, 2011 9:34 pm

I submitted my application on 13th May and booked tickets for abroad on 18th May.
Through royal mail tracking I found that my applicaton reached home office today morning. so can I travel on 18th or do I need to postpone for 2 more days.

thanks for the reply.
You should be in the country when the application is recd by HO, so youre okay now.

kumar12
Newly Registered

Post by kumar12 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:47 pm

gidoc wrote:

thanks for the reply.
You should be in the country when the application is recd by HO, so youre okay now.
Thanks for your reply. But why few people say HO people may contact, what's the reason they will contact, in case I cannot attend their call what will happen?
As far my application is concerned, its a straight forward one with no exceptions.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Tue May 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks for your reply. But why few people say HO people may contact, what's the reason they will contact, in case I cannot attend their call what will happen?
They will write to you and not call. Phone call will be unusual, any one ever get phone call from HO/UKBA?

I must admit I have had a call once when there was a considerable delay in visa extension quite a while back but that was because I had requested someone to intervene to speed up the process!

winber

Post by winber » Wed May 18, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm surprised about this and glad I found out since I had been planning to go on a holiday immediately after applying.

I had always understood that you had to be in the country exactly 5 years ago on the day that they received the application. This is the first time I've heard that you had to be in the country for 5 days after submitting to NCS.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed May 18, 2011 5:57 pm

I had always understood that you had to be in the country exactly 5 years ago on the day that they received the application. This is the first time I've heard that you had to be in the country for 5 days after submitting to NCS.
You have to be in UK to apply for BC, hence a 5 days grace period.

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Thu May 19, 2011 4:10 am

The legal requirment is being present in the UK when your application reaches the HO. The 5 day period is not a legal requirment. It is required by the NCS to cover them and make sure that you are in the UK when the application does reach the HO

xukc
Newly Registered

Post by xukc » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:38 pm

I got myself into a bit of a complicated situation with this requirement. I attended a NCS appointment and was told I had to provide some additional information before they can post my application to HO. Obtaining the additional information took a bit more than 2 weeks and in the mean time I left the UK and will be out of the country for another 2 weeks. I had booked the tickets for travel and couldn’t not afford to not use them and didn’t allow enough time to obtain any additional information requested. I realize now that if my husband sends off that information while I’m away and the NCS post my application, I won’t be in the UK on the day it is received, which would break the rules.
I expect the NCS will contact me soon to ask what is happening with the additional information. Is it best to say I am still waiting for it and send it to them when I’m back in the country without telling them about my absence or ask them to return my documents and then submit a postal application when back. I am already kicking myself for the poor timing and not allowing a big enough window. It is a straightforward case and would not want to ruin it by not abiding to all their rules. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Has anyone actually done/ heard of withdrawing of documents from NCS?

Thanks!

Nazia88

Post by Nazia88 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:46 pm

xukc wrote:I got myself into a bit of a complicated situation with this requirement. I attended a NCS appointment and was told I had to provide some additional information before they can post my application to HO. Obtaining the additional information took a bit more than 2 weeks and in the mean time I left the UK and will be out of the country for another 2 weeks. I had booked the tickets for travel and couldn’t not afford to not use them and didn’t allow enough time to obtain any additional information requested. I realize now that if my husband sends off that information while I’m away and the NCS post my application, I won’t be in the UK on the day it is received, which would break the rules.
I expect the NCS will contact me soon to ask what is happening with the additional information. Is it best to say I am still waiting for it and send it to them when I’m back in the country without telling them about my absence or ask them to return my documents and then submit a postal application when back. I am already kicking myself for the poor timing and not allowing a big enough window. It is a straightforward case and would not want to ruin it by not abiding to all their rules. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks!
what extra documents they need and uder what catagories you applying can you clear the forum bit of extra information thanks
NAZIA XX

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:49 pm

got myself into a bit of a complicated situation with this requirement. I attended a NCS appointment and was told I had to provide some additional information before they can post my application to HO. Obtaining the additional information took a bit more than 2 weeks and in the mean time I left the UK and will be out of the country for another 2 weeks. I had booked the tickets for travel and couldn’t not afford to not use them and didn’t allow enough time to obtain any additional information requested. I realize now that if my husband sends off that information while I’m away and the NCS post my application, I won’t be in the UK on the day it is received, which would break the rules.

Thanks!
You indeed have a situation that needs rectifying asap. Now it doesnt really matter what more information they require.
It can be done simply by calling NCS and telling them, the truth and to hold off the application until you return. In addition, you also need to make sure that you were in the UK 5 yrs before your application is recieved by UKBA

xukc
Newly Registered

Post by xukc » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:09 am

Thanks! So does that mean that I can't simply contact them saying I do not wish to continue with the application at this point and ask for my documents back?

winber

Post by winber » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:48 am

Agreed, you haven't done anything wrong as yet - just explain your situation and they might hold your application for you.

After reading your story I'm going to lodge my application after I've finished traveling - I was going to travel exactly after 5 days but the risk doesn't seem worth it.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:17 pm

So does that mean that I can't simply contact them saying I do not wish to continue with the application at this point and ask for my documents back?
Course you can, you will lose your fee to NCS, thats all