ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Malaysian Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

london_new11
Newly Registered

Malaysian Passport

Post by london_new11 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi

I would like some advice. I used to have a malaysian passport as i was born in Malaysia. I have a birth certificate also to prove this. My malaysian passport expired and i only realised this when i was due to travel to another country so i had to get a British passport in a hurry. This was the quickest way of me getting a passport without having to cancel my flights. I now only have two out of my three Malaysian passports - the latest passport is no longer with me. I think when i got my British passport they took this but cant remember exactly. I collected my passport using the fast track service.

I have the british passport now but i dont know how to get my malaysian passport back- is there any way i can denounce my British citizenship and get a new Malaysian passport? I dont have my IC also as it has been a long time- so that is also misplaced. :(

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon May 16, 2011 6:24 pm

To answer your question requires a knowledge of Malaysian citizenship law as well as British law. As posted above, it is possible to renounce British citizenship – although only if you have or will gain another citizenship. (In other words, you can't renounce British citizenship if that would make you stateless.)

If you have lost Malaysian citizenship, it is a matter of Malaysian law whether renouncing your British citizenship would enable you to reclaim it.