ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

8 n half year on student visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

Sinner

8 n half year on student visa

Post by Sinner » Wed May 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Hi guys,
M friend is on student visa from last 8 and half years,his current visa is expiring in june 2012, which makes 9 n half years on student visa, but he wants to apply for indefinate based on 10 year rule,
My question is what are the options he can avail,

Because according to current rules he cannot stay more than7 years i think on student visa,
So if he applies for extension next year what are the chances,?

Can he go for psw?does pws include in 10 years rules?

joh118

Re: 8 n half year on student visa

Post by joh118 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Sinner wrote:Hi guys,
M friend is on student visa from last 8 and half years,his current visa is expiring in june 2012, which makes 9 n half years on student visa, but he wants to apply for indefinate based on 10 year rule,
My question is what are the options he can avail,

Because according to current rules he cannot stay more than7 years i think on student visa,
So if he applies for extension next year what are the chances,?

Can he go for psw?does pws include in 10 years rules?
your friend wont be able to extend his student visa once it runs out.
By the time his visa runs out PSW visa will no longer exist. The PSW will stop in April 2012.

Sinner

Post by Sinner » Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

what if he applies for PSW by the end of this month.? my point is does PSW count towards indefinite?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu May 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Sinner wrote:what if he applies for PSW by the end of this month.? my point is does PSW count towards indefinite?
all lawful residence counts towards ILR in terms of the 10 year rule. Does he qualify for PSW now. Has he been awarded a masters or bachelors degree in the UK?

Sinner

Post by Sinner » Thu May 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Yes he is eligible for PSW but on ukba website it says

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... ettlement/

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 19, 2011 4:51 pm

Sinner wrote:Yes he is eligible for PSW but on ukba website it says

PSW cannot be counted in the qualifying residential period when applying for settlement as an economic migrant (e.g. - PBS) but, as already mentioned above, can be included when applying for settlement under long residence.
Greenie wrote:all lawful residence counts towards ILR in terms of the 10 year rule.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

khan2015

Post by khan2015 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Do not just rely on 10 years long residence because It would be abolished in early 2012.so try to finish masters so he can apply for PSW before April 2012.so he could have 2 years n later on he could switched over back to student.
I think Its the better way or get some suggestions from other members as well.

Sinner

Post by Sinner » Sun May 22, 2011 11:02 pm

where it is written that long residence rules is finishing?

khan2015

Post by khan2015 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:30 am

Sinner wrote:where it is written that long residence rules is finishing?
Please follow this link as below;

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/? ... -18b.332.6

I think it should be enough to understand what changes can happen in the future or later this year.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:17 am

khan2015 wrote:

Do not just rely on 10 years long residence because It would be abolished in early 2012.so try to finish masters so he can apply for PSW before April 2012.so he could have 2 years n later on he could switched over back to student.
how can he switch back into student when he has already spent more than 8 years in the UK. Don't you know of the new limit?

khan2015

Post by khan2015 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:59 pm

joh118 wrote:
khan2015 wrote:

how can he switch back into student when he has already spent more than 8 years in the UK. Don't you know of the new limit?
i know this rule but recently one of my friend gets extension after 7 years on student visa for further 1 year n 6 months.It means he needs only 18 months to cover his 10 years but because he was away for more than 6 months so he is not eligible for Long Residence.But he gets extension in April.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon May 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Whilst I agree that you should definitely work towards a "worst-case scenario" for future developments, it is very dangerous to speculate about changes which have not yet been published in detail and this should be clarified at each point to ensure that there isn't a mass-panic situation.

Last year it was widely speculated that Tier 1 (General) will end altogether causing mass panic amongst Tier 1 (General) visa holders and new applicants. Whilst some of the speculation was well-founded, other parts were completely untrue and caused unnecessary stress for many.

Until full details are available on exactly how it will be implemented, blanket statements such as "be abolished by early 2012" should be avoided, because it's still part-speculation.

khan2015

Post by khan2015 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:58 pm

mulderpf wrote:Whilst I agree that you should definitely work towards a "worst-case scenario" for future developments, it is very dangerous to speculate about changes which have not yet been published in detail and this should be clarified at each point to ensure that there isn't a mass-panic situation.

Last year it was widely speculated that Tier 1 (General) will end altogether causing mass panic amongst Tier 1 (General) visa holders and new applicants. Whilst some of the speculation was well-founded, other parts were completely untrue and caused unnecessary stress for many.

Until full details are available on exactly how it will be implemented, blanket statements such as "be abolished by early 2012" should be avoided, because it's still part-speculation.
please see that above link regarding long residence's statement by cameron.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon May 23, 2011 4:08 pm

We are going to consult on further measures, including the future of the 14-year rule he mentioned, and make announcements later this year. We have already announced that there will be tighter rules for those wanting to settle here...
Nowhere did David Cameron say anything about abolishing anything - not even the 14-year rule, simply that there will be consultations and announcements will be made later.

You do not know whether it will be scrapped altogether, whether it will be changed to allow it for certain individuals and not for others and so on and so on.

You are making major assumptions based on very little fact.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Mon May 23, 2011 4:12 pm

khan2015 wrote: please see that above link regarding long residence's statement by cameron.
I think PM didn't clearly mention anything regarding 10 years long residence and also the question from Philip Hollobone was regarding 14 years based long residence.

khan2015

Post by khan2015 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:34 pm

sunmoon wrote:
khan2015 wrote: please see that above link regarding long residence's statement by cameron.
I think PM didn't clearly mention anything regarding 10 years long residence and also the question from Philip Hollobone was regarding 14 years based long residence.
Yes guys you are right.But remember the consultation is always a formality just to ensure that the Government is following the right way to implement changes but they have complete their paper work n will change or close this route of settlement.
It could stay but with certain changes.

Hossain
Newly Registered

Post by Hossain » Thu May 26, 2011 3:28 pm

khan2015 wrote:

I think it should be enough to understand what changes can happen in the future or later this year.

HI i was wondering if anybody has clear idea regarding new student visa 8 years limit. Currently i am in PSW visa which will expire on November 2012. My plan is to switch in Tier 4 student visa to do my MBA. My question is as i have spent about 6 years on student visa and then currently 2 years in PSW visa, will i be eligible 2 extend my leave to remain as student after my PSW visa?

joh118

Post by joh118 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Hossain wrote:
khan2015 wrote:

HI i was wondering if anybody has clear idea regarding new student visa 8 years limit. Currently i am in PSW visa which will expire on November 2012. My plan is to switch in Tier 4 student visa to do my MBA. My question is as i have spent about 6 years on student visa and then currently 2 years in PSW visa, will i be eligible 2 extend my leave to remain as student after my PSW visa?
As long as the course you intend to study is at a higher level than your previous studies as a student, then you should be fine.

The limit is actually, 3 years below degree level and 5 years at above. so if you spent the 6 years at degree level, then it might be a problem.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:12 pm

khan2015 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
Yes guys you are right.But remember the consultation is always a formality just to ensure that the Government is following the right way to implement changes but they have complete their paper work n will change or close this route of settlement.
It could stay but with certain changes.
I do not agree with you Mr. Khan on the consultation part.

All Consultation’s are genuine and if the govt. is not following their own consultation responses and if they treating you unfairly, you can always go to court’s and let me assure you, judges will treat you fairly in this country.

prabhu_singhin
Newly Registered

student visa

Post by prabhu_singhin » Mon May 30, 2011 3:55 pm

I donot agree with Mr khan at all. Mr khan is creating and spreading false news based upon assumptions which is an offence under the public safety act. He can be referred to the police and tried in court for spreading unfounded rumours

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Re: student visa

Post by PaperPusher » Mon May 30, 2011 5:14 pm

prabhu_singhin wrote:I donot agree with Mr khan at all. Mr khan is creating and spreading false news based upon assumptions which is an offence under the public safety act. He can be referred to the police and tried in court for spreading unfounded rumours
A rumour, genuinely held belief or misunderstanding of possible government policy is a criminal offence? Not in the UK as far as I know. Please quote the relevant legislation. Obviously, if you have made a mistake you should be prosecuted after being charged by the police under the "public safety act". :roll: