ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Enquiry on Avoiding MN1 Registration

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MANILA-PEP
Newly Registered

Enquiry on Avoiding MN1 Registration

Post by MANILA-PEP » Sat May 28, 2011 10:54 am

Is it not right for me to wait till i get British Citizenship, then apply for passports for my children born in the UK rather than spend that amount on MN1 registration since then i will have become a British Citizen?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 28, 2011 11:01 am

Only a British citizen is eligible to hold a British passport.

In your case, the child will not acquire British citizenship until such time that a registration certificate is issued (subsequent to a MN1 application). Whether you apply for MN1 after either parent's settlement or naturalisation is irrelevant.

Waiting until you naturalise will not make your child "British by birth" - in which case a child doesn't need a registration certificate to apply for a British passport.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

MANILA-PEP
Newly Registered

Post by MANILA-PEP » Sat May 28, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks for your prompt response, so in essence whether i get naturalized and acquire a British Passport, my children born here still have to be registered MN1?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat May 28, 2011 11:27 am

(edited following sushdmehta comment below)

Assuming the children are born in the UK:
Children born AFTER either parent is settled in the UK (hold ILR/PR) are British from birth. No need to register them. You can apply for passport directly.
Children born BEFORE either parent is settled in the UK (hold ILR/PR) need to register (form MN1) to become British.
Last edited by Jambo on Sat May 28, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

MANILA-PEP
Newly Registered

Post by MANILA-PEP » Sat May 28, 2011 11:33 am

My question hasn't been satisfactorily answered.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 28, 2011 11:38 am

It has been, but unfortunately, you haven't understood it - despite being given the answers earlier.

Let's try again:
Was a child born before either parent had settled status? If yes, you must use MN1 to register the child as British citizen.
Was a child born after either parent had settled status? If yes, skip registration and apply for British passport.
Last edited by geriatrix on Sat May 28, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

MANILA-PEP
Newly Registered

Post by MANILA-PEP » Sat May 28, 2011 11:43 am

It isnt unfortunate.Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat May 28, 2011 11:53 am

From your previous post:
MANILA-PEP wrote: I already have ILR and will be applying for Naturalization in 2 months time, my question is:

- I have 3 Children (all below 10 years of age) born outside the UK and they have ILR as well, what is the way forward as regards their naturalization?
As answered before, those children will need to register to become British. You can't skip it.
For future children, if born in the UK (and either parent is not British but holds ILR), they will be British from birth. No need to register them.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat May 28, 2011 1:31 pm

MANILA-PEP wrote:My question hasn't been satisfactorily answered.
If a child is born in the UK to a parent who, at the time of the birth, is settled in the UK (indefinite leave to remain/permanent residence/right of abode, or of course a British citizen), then that child is a British citizen by birth.

If a child is born in the UK to a parent who, at the time of the birth, is not settled in the UK, that child is not a British citizen by birth, and an application has to be made for citizenship. The fact that (one of) the parents becomes settled subsequently doesn't make the child automatically a British citizen.