ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DOES PARTNER OF A BRITISH CITIZEN NEED AN EU VISA

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

yusfaith

DOES PARTNER OF A BRITISH CITIZEN NEED AN EU VISA

Post by yusfaith » Mon May 30, 2011 11:05 am

Could someone please advise, I am a british citizen and have 2 children who are also british citizen. We are planing a family trip to travel to germany with my partner( mother of my 2 children) who is on discretionary leave herself base on our family life here in UK. Does she need to apply for visa to travel to EU country. I know myself and my children do not need any visa but I am not sure if my partner will need to apply. Thanks

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Re: DOES PARTNER OF A BRITISH CITIZEN NEED AN EU VISA

Post by Nimitta » Mon May 30, 2011 2:47 pm

yusfaith wrote:Could someone please advise, I am a british citizen and have 2 children who are also british citizen. We are planing a family trip to travel to germany with my partner( mother of my 2 children) who is on discretionary leave herself base on our family life here in UK. Does she need to apply for visa to travel to EU country. I know myself and my children do not need any visa but I am not sure if my partner will need to apply. Thanks
According to the Treaty, she does not need any visa. But EU countries would usually expect her to have a visa (free of charge, of course). Some couples I know (UK and nonEEA) did go from UK to other EU countries WITHOUT a visa and they were allowed to enter. But if you decide going without a visa expect some delays. I guess you will have to call to immigration officer's supervisor etc. Oh yes, and get your marriage certificate handy if you are going without a visa.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 pm

It depends on her citizenship. Canadians would not require a visa. But citizens of China or India (among others) would.

The nice thing is the German embassy in London is very professional and will issue the visa by post so you do not need to waste a day to go there and apply. http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretung/l ... ungen.html

You need to send
application form
visa photo
your passport
your wife's passport
your marriage certificate
they ask for an address in Germany, but if you don't know they should still issue the visa.

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:07 am

Sorry. You said "partner." Are you married?