ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI/PIO - what gets issued faster?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

klal
Newly Registered

OCI/PIO - what gets issued faster?

Post by klal » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:20 pm

I need to apply for a PIO or an OCI card for my wife depending on which is issued faster. I appreciate this is not an easy question to answer, but what is the general opinion?

Would appreciate any pointers.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 am

You do not get to chose which you apply for. You either are eligible for OCI or PIO.

Here is the comparison chart

http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:45 am

Krazydude,

That doesn't sound right. I was an Indian citizen earlier - acquired British Citizenship and was clearly eligible for EITHER PIO or OCI. My children too have the same eligibility as both wife and I are former Indian citizens. The one exception, as I understand is when one/both of the parents is/are still Indian citizen(s), a foreign-born child is not automatically eligible for OCI/PIO.

Coming back to my original question, do you have any idea which of these two schemes is the faster one as far as issue of cards is considered?

Thanks,
Lal
krazydude wrote:You do not get to chose which you apply for. You either are eligible for OCI or PIO.

Here is the comparison chart

http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:40 pm

klal wrote:Krazydude,

That doesn't sound right. I was an Indian citizen earlier - acquired British Citizenship and was clearly eligible for EITHER PIO or OCI. My children too have the same eligibility as both wife and I are former Indian citizens. The one exception, as I understand is when one/both of the parents is/are still Indian citizen(s), a foreign-born child is not automatically eligible for OCI/PIO.

Coming back to my original question, do you have any idea which of these two schemes is the faster one as far as issue of cards is considered?

Thanks,
Lal
As far as I know (and someone correct me if I am wrong here), basically you apply for OCI if you (the main applicant had a Indian Passport). You can also apply for a PIO, but that would mean you have to get it renewed every 15 yrs, so OCI is better (PIO holder is required to register with local Police authority for any stay exceeding 180 days in India on any single visit whereas an OCI is exempted from registration with Police authority for any length of stay in India). Since you had a Indian Passport, you submit that, get a surrender certificate and apply for OCI.

Now if your children were say born in the UK, never had an Indian Passport, then he/she would apply for a PIO based on the fact that you as parents are/were an Indian Passport Holder or are a current OCI holder. They cannot apply for OCI as the first step towards OCI is to submit your Indian Passport.

HCI London is issuing OCI's quite fast so the wait might be less than a month sometimes.

klal
Newly Registered

PIO - timeframe

Post by klal » Tue May 31, 2011 9:20 am

Hope this is of some help...

I applied for a PIO card for my wife during May this year. HCI London issued the PIO card bang on target - 21 working days! Well done HCI!

shajacksha

Re: PIO - timeframe

Post by shajacksha » Tue May 31, 2011 10:32 am

klal wrote:Hope this is of some help...

I applied for a PIO card for my wife during May this year. HCI London issued the PIO card bang on target - 21 working days! Well done HCI!
If you looked at the timelines for OCI in the sticky post and followed krazydude's suggestion you would have received OCI in 21 days, if not faster. OCI nowadays are very quick

klal
Newly Registered

Re: PIO - timeframe

Post by klal » Tue May 31, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks. PIO was more than adequate for our purpose. My experience with my own PIO application ago a year ago was positive (and at that time, I know PIO cards were being thumped out much faster than OCIs) and that's what helped me make my decision. Of course, I have the option of applying for OCI any time in the future on the basis of the PIO card.
shajacksha wrote:
klal wrote:Hope this is of some help...

If you looked at the timelines for OCI in the sticky post and followed krazydude's suggestion you would have received OCI in 21 days, if not faster. OCI nowadays are very quick

linearkieran

Post by linearkieran » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi Klal,

I went through this topic and got a question...I was thinking I could apply for my kids for their PIO/OCI once they get british passports (after myself/wife get ILR approved later this year). Going through this post it looks like I can't apply for their PIO/OCI until we become British citizens ourselves. Is that right?

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi linearkieran,

What is the nationality of your children as of now?

Take a look at this link: http://www.immihelp.com/nri/overseascit ... ility.html

Hope you get some useful answers. Unfortunately, I haven't done much fact-finding on this aspect.

Cheers,
Lal
linearkieran wrote:Hi Klal,

I went through this topic and got a question...I was thinking I could apply for my kids for their PIO/OCI once they get british passports (after myself/wife get ILR approved later this year). Going through this post it looks like I can't apply for their PIO/OCI until we become British citizens ourselves. Is that right?

linearkieran

Post by linearkieran » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks Klal,

My son holds Indian passport at the moment. I will be applying for ILR shortly and then I wish to travel India later on this year.

Thanks for the link, I will go through it.

Cheers

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:38 pm

linearkieran wrote:Going through this post it looks like I can't apply for their PIO/OCI until we become British citizens ourselves. Is that right?
One parent must have acquired foreign citizenship for the child(ren) to be eligible for OCI.

However, your child may be eligible for PIO as and when he becomes a British citizen - by virtue of the fact (amongst others) that he would have held an Indian passport before becoming a British citizen.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks. PIO was more than adequate for our purpose. My experience with my own PIO application ago a year ago was positive (and at that time, I know PIO cards were being thumped out much faster than OCIs) and that's what helped me make my decision. Of course, I have the option of applying for OCI any time in the future on the basis of the PIO card.
I tend to agree with your approach. Speed is of essence, hence PIO sounds better. can you please clarify if one has to send the original British passport
along with PIO application?
In summary surrender of Indian passport and PIO may take up to 6 wks.

On the other hand, surrender + tourist visa applied at the same time, may be quicker ie about 3 wks? Any experiences on this?

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 am

Hi gidoc,

Sorry about the delay in responding - haven't logged in here for a while.

I did send the original British passport with the PIO application. Going thru the list of documents I had enclosed, this is what I had sent:

1. PIO Application form in duplicate
2. Copy of Indian Passport Surrender Certificate
3. Four PP photographs for each form (although they needed just 4 in all!)
4. Current British Passport in original
5. Copy of relevant page from British Passport
6. Postal Order for £217
7. Self-addressed Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope

This was for my wife's application which was sent a couple of months ago. We recd. her PIO Card in 22 days flat (including the day we posted the application)!

As for submitting Surrender + Tourist visa application simultaneously, I can't speak from personal experience as I've done those separately. I understand Surrender Certificates are being issued quickly unless there are complications involved in terms of penalties, etc.

When I applied for tourist visas for my kids, there was a fair amount of paperwork involved (especially for minors). But if you make sure you've filled up the form correctly and provide all the required documentation, you should get your visa fairly quickly. In our case, it took precisely 7 days.
gidoc wrote:
I tend to agree with your approach. Speed is of essence, hence PIO sounds better. can you please clarify if one has to send the original British passport
along with PIO application?
In summary surrender of Indian passport and PIO may take up to 6 wks.

On the other hand, surrender + tourist visa applied at the same time, may be quicker ie about 3 wks? Any experiences on this?

BSK

Post by BSK » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi Klal,

Can help me to understand "PIO application form in duplicate"

Does this means you have to fill two forms or it should be filled hand written??

Thanks in advance for your clairification.

Regards,
BSK

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi,

I just printed off two copies of the form and filled each one by hand.
Make sure you use black ink! And for your records, best to make a photocopy of one of the completed forms - you might need to refer to it in case of clarifications or to help you fill another application.

Cheers,
Lal

EDIT: I enclosed two copies of every document asked for. Or to put it simply, I submitted two applications (except for the Postal Order and SASE!)
BSK wrote:Hi Klal,

Can help me to understand "PIO application form in duplicate"

Does this means you have to fill two forms or it should be filled hand written??

Thanks in advance for your clairification.

Regards,
BSK

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi gidoc,

Hi klal,
Thanks for your input. I guess its the various options that we have, makes it difficult to decide which one to go for:
1.OCI
2.PIO
3.Entry visa, long term or just tourist visa

PIO/OCI gives you all the rights of a NRI and are hence definitely better long term options. The OCI with the concept of a sticker in the passport is a bit odd and perhaps may disadvantage one but this part is not clear.
Certainly, legally and politically, you still retain all the rights of a British citizen.
OCI does sound attractive but as the first visa, it may take time, hence my thoughts are to take a long term entry visa first and then later take PIO or OCI.
Any thoughts?

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:34 pm

Really depends on your requirements. If you intend living in India for a longish time, probably best to go for PIO or OCI. OCI may be even better if you're definitely gonna be staying longer than six months at a stretch. I'm not so sure about long-term visa - never even considered it, to be honest.

I take it you are clear about your eligibility for the various options. Maybe if you indicate your plans in terms of purpose and duration of stay in India, I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable folks here can offer some insights.

Cheers,
Lal
gidoc wrote:
Hi gidoc,

Hi klal,
Thanks for your input. I guess its the various options that we have, makes it difficult to decide which one to go for:
1.OCI
2.PIO
3.Entry visa, long term or just tourist visa

PIO/OCI gives you all the rights of a NRI and are hence definitely better long term options. The OCI with the concept of a sticker in the passport is a bit odd and perhaps may disadvantage one but this part is not clear.
Certainly, legally and politically, you still retain all the rights of a British citizen.
OCI does sound attractive but as the first visa, it may take time, hence my thoughts are to take a long term entry visa first and then later take PIO or OCI.
Any thoughts?

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks
I visit India 3-5 times year but never staying longer than 3 wks. I do not anticipate staying any longer not in the next 5-6 years at least. I do have financial interests as well.
Perhaps the quickest & easiest option giving me all the NRI facilities will be my choice.

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:50 pm

You're right - NRI status will be ideal for you. It's going to have to be PIO or OCI. Check out the documents requirements and see which will be easier for you to fulfil.

I have no way of backing this up but I was given the impression that PIOs are processed in London itself (unless there are complications in the case) while OCI cases do get refered to Delhi. Having said that, I know people have been saying OCI cards are being issued pretty quickly these days. Whatever you choose to opt for, I hope it works out well for you!

Cheers,
Lal
gidoc wrote:Thanks
I visit India 3-5 times year but never staying longer than 3 wks. I do not anticipate staying any longer not in the next 5-6 years at least. I do have financial interests as well.
Perhaps the quickest & easiest option giving me all the NRI facilities will be my choice.

BSK

Post by BSK » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Klal,

Can you confirm me that you have sent only the photocopy of surrender certificate. Because the web page of HCI says as original documents

http://hcilondon.in/pio.php

Please Note:

All documents including passports must be furnished in original at the time of submission of application, once the application is accepted the original documents would be returned to the applicant immediately, only notarized affidavits if submitted would be retained in original.

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Regards,
BSK

klal
Newly Registered

Post by klal » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi BSK,

Yes, I only sent a photocopy of the Surrender Certificate. I did this for for two PIO applications - self and wife's. Had no problem at all.

I note that HCI London have updated their PIO page. Loads more information there now. There's a paragraph that clearly mentions a copy of the Surrender Certificate must be submitted.

"PIO APPLICANTS ARE REQUESTED TO SURRENDER THEIR INDIAN PASSPORTS TO VFS AND SUBMIT COPY OF SURRENDER CERTIFICATE ALONGWITH THEIR PIO APPLICATIONS. THOSE APPLICANTS WHO HAVE EVER HELD INDIAN PASSPORTS AND ARE UNABLE TO PRODUCE THE SAME FOR SURRENDER FOR ANY REASON (LOSS/ MISPLACEMENT/ SUBMITTED TO HOME OFFICE LONG TIME BACK) ARE REQUIRED TO FURNISH A NOTARISED AFFIDAVIT IN ORIGINAL (IF THE PASSPORT IS ALREADY EXPIRED) AND ALSO POLICE REPORT ( IN CASES WHERE INDIAN PASSPORT WAS STILL VALID)."

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Lal
BSK wrote:Hi Klal,

Can you confirm me that you have sent only the photocopy of surrender certificate. Because the web page of HCI says as original documents

http://hcilondon.in/pio.php

Please Note:

All documents including passports must be furnished in original at the time of submission of application, once the application is accepted the original documents would be returned to the applicant immediately, only notarized affidavits if submitted would be retained in original.

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Regards,
BSK

siddiqui29
Newly Registered

oci/pio enquiry

Post by siddiqui29 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Hello everyone
just had a query regarding OCI/PIO
i was wondering if anyone could guide me on this thing.

i am an indian citizen holding a valid indian passport.

we have a baby boy who is around six months old.He is british born and has a british passport.

i just wanted to ask that can i apply for a PIO/OCI card for him so that i dont have to apply for a visa for him when ever i go to india.will he be eligible for any such thing as i am an indian citizen by birth and i hold a valid indian passport.

my entire family are indian citizens.

(FYI my wife is a dual citizen with british and pakistani nationality).

as my wife holds british and pakistani nationality,some say my son is eligible as i am indian,some say he is not as my wife is a pakistani national.i am quite confused and might seek some genuine advice from any brothers/sisters out there.

if he is eligible then which card do i need to apply for ,is it OCI or PIO card for him,and what would be the procedure.

your advice on above matter shall be highly appreciated and i shall deem it a great favour.

thanking you all in advance.