ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Consultation on changes to employment-related settlement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

karthi305
Newly Registered

settlement

Post by karthi305 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:26 pm

At the Current Situation nobody wants to come here and reality is hard to find people with qualification here. only time will tell but things are not looking great for migrants :roll:

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:Ofcourse, we all have to wait!!

I think by mentioning Article 8, Govt. has made its intention crystal clear with respect to Long Residence route.
Its not an argument but just a simple understanding ...

Even if they don't change the 10 yrs long residence rule, considering the recent changes (T1/T4 routes), don't you think 10 yrs Long residence will be standing alone ? and 14 yrs ! it will be a nightmare... even if some one stay 8yrs lawfully as a student (the maximum) still they have to stay 6 years more illegally! its not a JOKE... well still some people will do but I don't think this a route for people who have a little scope to do something in their home or some other countries.

sameer2012

Post by sameer2012 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:33 pm

I think by mentioning Article 8, Govt. has made its intention crystal clear with respect to Long Residence route.
I think 10/14 Long residence comes under concessions they can withdraw this at any point like as they did with 7 year child route settlement.
SAMEER

cuberoot

Post by cuberoot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:20 pm

I am very pleased with the content of this consultation. Not because they are cutting down on immigration (I think economic immigration is good), but because they are finally making the system clearer like other countries.

Im glad they have made it very clear that this will only affect new Tier 1 and Tier 2 entrants from April 2011. pg12 and pg16. They are not planning on any retrospective changes.

I think its great that they are making it crystal clear from the beginning whether your visa is temporary or permanent. This is a huge step in the right direction. We have had far too much heartbreak where people immigrate to the UK with their families and uproot their lives and then get told they are not welcome after a few years. If we know from the beginning that its not permanent, we may never bother to immigrate to the UK.

I dont think many economic migrants will now come to the UK, but this is what the new coalition promised. :( I think there are much more favourable migration routes in other countries for regular workers. UK only wants Nobel prize winners and rich investors.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:27 pm

sunmoon wrote:

Its not an argument but just a simple understanding ...

Even if they don't change the 10 yrs long residence rule, considering the recent changes (T1/T4 routes), don't you think 10 yrs Long residence will be standing alone ? and 14 yrs ! it will be a nightmare... even if some one stay 8yrs lawfully as a student (the maximum) still they have to stay 6 years more illegally! its not a JOKE... well still some people will do but I don't think this a route for people who have a little scope to do something in their home or some other countries.
You just looking at Long Residence from a student point of view or may be from a "number" point of view, I'll suggest you to broaden your horizon, think as a human and behave as one!

People who drafted and agreed ECHR are/were thinking human beings as a person, not as a "number" for some cheap political votes.

Now, coming to your specific point of students not staying more than 8 years, so for them Long Residence is closed anyway.
Also, its beyond my comprehension that some people do choose to stay here as "illegal", I do not know why they do that but I will not judge them for trying to work hard, trying to better themselves, trying to survive.

Lastly, May I request you, If I May to read world history between 1600 AD to 1800 AD to correctly understand the term "illegal" immigrants!!

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:28 pm

cuberoot wrote: UK only wants Nobel prize winners and rich investors.
well said cuberoot...
As because they can't say directly that we don't want any non-European migrants

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:35 pm

sameer2012 wrote:

I think 10/14 Long residence comes under concessions they can withdraw this at any point like as they did with 7 year child route settlement.
Its not a concession any more. However, I do agree that they can change/withdraw it any time they wish!!

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:
I'll suggest you to broaden your horizon, think as a human and behave as one!
Are you trying to say non-european countries like USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand and other top migrants destination who is not under the agreement of ECHR and don't have this long residence systems in their immigration rules are not behaving like human ? Its 2011 Mr. Aryan not 1600/1800AD, lots of definitions are changed now.
Don't forget still there is a route exist here, call 'Humanitarian Protection route'.

sameer2012

Post by sameer2012 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:54 pm

sunmoon wrote:
Aryan2013 wrote:
I'll suggest you to broaden your horizon, think as a human and behave as one!
Are you trying to say non-european countries like USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand and other top migrants destination who is not under the agreement of ECHR and don't have this long residence systems in their immigration rules are not behaving like human ? Its 2011 Mr. Aryan not 1600/1800AD, lots of definitions are changed now.
Don't forget still there is a route exist here, call 'Humanitarian Protection route'.
I do agree with you but that sort of route takes years to decide about your application at the end their is no guarantee.Anyways we are here to discuss the issues whether someone agreed or not.But we all have to accept the changes at any time nothing we can do more.
SAMEER

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:09 pm

sameer2012 wrote: I do agree with you but that sort of route takes years to decide about your application at the end their is no guarantee.Anyways we are here to discuss the issues whether someone agreed or not.But we all have to accept the changes at any time nothing we can do more.
Very true sameer2012. But when some people start arguing like they are teaching Human Rights here and considering themselves as the lecturer and others as student then they are living in the heaven of foolish. They should learn from what happened last few months. I hope you agree with me.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:10 pm

sunmoon wrote: Don't forget still there is a route exist here, call 'Humanitarian Protection route'.
British govt. has legal/moral duty to help people who are in need of protection.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:18 pm

sunmoon wrote: But when some people start arguing like they are teaching Human Rights here and considering themselves as the lecturer and others as student then they are living in the heaven of foolish. They should learn from what happened last few months.
No one is teaching you HR, all I was saying was to think BIG, come out of "numbers" game and don't fall in tories game of "good"/"bad" immigrants.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:
sunmoon wrote: But when some people start arguing like they are teaching Human Rights here and considering themselves as the lecturer and others as student then they are living in the heaven of foolish. They should learn from what happened last few months.
No one is teaching you HR, all I was saying was to think BIG, come out of "numbers" game and don't fall in tories game of "good"/"bad" immigrants.
Historically UK is one of the top Humanitarian country and have shown enough sympathy for the immigrants until recently, but because of the mass abuse of the system past few years left them helpless but strict on the rules. You just fairly think about the abuse of students route(T4) and HSMP(T1 general)route, what you will do if you are the Home Secretary of your country and all those happened to your immigration system ?

t0mmy

Post by t0mmy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:45 pm

reading all this, tbh just wondering when they switch back to the old rules. they willl always want foreign skilled workers to do their work. any one for tier 14 :-)

zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Post by zahid.ali.anwar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:35 am

I hope most of us has throughly read this consultation paper. One thing to observe is that there is no mention of Tier 1 General. They are discussing Tier 1, but all the other categories except Tier 1 General. As you know that Tier 1 General conversion and entry clearance is abolished since 6 April 2011. So they are not even discussing it.

This thing also proves that all the new changes they are proposing is coming to take effect on migrants applied after 6 april 2011.

This is my observation, house have right to disagree...

By launching this consulatation, it seems that even Govt is sick and tired of all the media perception and every days news and rumors about immigration system, working of UKBA and benefit claims by immigrants. Every thing this Govt tries to do is checked by their performance in the field of immigration and figures declared before coming to power.
The question is... to be or not to be....

sameer2012

Post by sameer2012 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:27 am

zahid.ali.anwar wrote:I hope most of us has throughly read this consultation paper. One thing to observe is that there is no mention of Tier 1 General. They are discussing Tier 1, but all the other categories except Tier 1 General. As you know that Tier 1 General conversion and entry clearance is abolished since 6 April 2011. So they are not even discussing it.

This thing also proves that all the new changes they are proposing is coming to take effect on migrants applied after 6 april 2011.

This is my observation, house have right to disagree...

By launching this consulatation, it seems that even Govt is sick and tired of all the media perception and every days news and rumors about immigration system, working of UKBA and benefit claims by immigrants. Every thing this Govt tries to do is checked by their performance in the field of immigration and figures declared before coming to power.
Yes sunmoon ,I do agree with you.as long as current Tier 1 category is concerned which already closed the reason isthat why they did not discussed that because they knew that while applying for extension under this category the applicant must show Highly Skilled Employment after 2 years of LTR so they knew that only minors are in real highly skilled jobs not every single Tier 1 General is working in a highly Skilled Employment.so I think that's they they did not touch Tier 1General category its very hard to those who would apply for extensions after April 2012 so if they succeeded they would go through to the settlement If they don't of course they have to step down.But they have planned everything and one important factor which we are missing here that all the humanitarian protection route(Legacy) will finish/be decided until July 2011.After that only those who will need genuine protection like politicians
would be granted LTR on protection basis because as we all know they have already granted more than 2,00,000 immigrants ILR on this route so reason is that they wants to get rid from these type of migrants.
Long Residence can be withdrawn at any time without any consultation whenever they need to.
All members are free to comment on this post.Thanks
SAMEER

rk_2011

Wrong analysis of the stats?

Post by rk_2011 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:59 am

Two things:

1. I don't know if this is intentional or the stats analysts at UKBA missed something, if 20,000 work permits are now given every year, from the year 2011 + 5 = 2016, there will be a maximum of 20,000 tier-2 related settlements each year. Going to the bar chart on page 8, that is back to approx. 1997 levels, actually even better as all the 20,000 granted tier-2 in 2011 won't apply for settlement.

So what are they worried about? They have already solved the issue and settlements will be back to 97 levels (in employment track). Am i missing something?

2. A stupid question, but people applying for extensions under Tier-2 after april 2011, but who have already entered Tier-2 prior to april 2011 aren't affected by this new settlement rule?

abc111
BANNED

Re: Wrong analysis of the stats?

Post by abc111 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:15 am

Just another general view,

Well if they are thinking of implementing such unreasonable UK favouring rules (by assuming that anyone comes to the UK enjoys 100% benefits and does not give anything at all back) then people either would not bother coming here (as this could potentially sound insulting) or UK employers will have to put forward a really attractive salary package, specially when more new attractive destinations are on rise for immigrants workers -talking about China, Australia, India etc...

read for example, Global Money Leaves UK: http://www.lovemoney.com/news/savings-i ... ce=1000557

sojan

Post by sojan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:03 am

I feel, they are making things more clear
The categorisation of Temporary and Permanent is more positive i Believe and flexible in long run.
They could even add Tier1 General in future with Temporary status when skills are shortage. Don't know how it will be!!

I still not sure how they can attract students to come to UK and study.. They might have to use combination of these factors

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:34 am

I m working under tier 1 general in uk.i got the visa on july 2010.
Now with all this settlement announcements by the UK government,i m soo confused whether i will be effected or whether i will be able to apply for settlement after 5years?even the statement of intent is soo confusing.we
tier 1 general are hanging in between,no where to go,what do we do next??

plzz seniors clarify

Sheffield_Marketeer
Member of Standing

Post by Sheffield_Marketeer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Seniors

Can any one of you advise if this affects somebody who has been on Tier 1 PSW since 2010.
I can see that it would affect PBS entrants from April 2011. And another place the document mentions anyone who enters Tier 1 and Tier 2 AFTER April 2011.

However, I am aware that the PSW visa is actually a Tier 1 technically and is also a PBS visa. Will people who move from PSW to Tier 2 come under this ban is what I am asking.

Any answers/ introspections/ ideas will be much appreciated
Thanks

timarli

Post by timarli » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 am

ukswus wrote:
Polat wrote:
ukswus wrote:I have to say, I am very pleased with this document. All the proposed changes will only apply to those who entered the country after April 2011:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
where is it mentioned that wll be apply for those entered the UK after April 2011 ???
page 12:

"Apply these changes to those entering the points-based system from April 2011."

Page 16:

"Now we intend to embark on a more radical overhaul of the settlement rules to break the automatic link between coming to work and staying permanently. We propose to apply these new settlement criteria to those entering Tiers 1 and 2 from April 2011."

Those two are very different things...I mean entering the UK and entering the PBS.

Ive been in the country under a WP and I was planning to change my employer soon. So if I change the employer, I will have to change my visa of course. To Tier 2. and I will loose my right to apply for ILR?

God! My homecountry is one of those 'developing countries' which is below European standards but even there we don't do these stuff. I mean taking back the rights after giving them...

The unspent convictions, changes to ILR etc...They were not in the system when I entered here. And that was the reason I came here, picked this career and life route. Was not an easy decision...

but apparently I made the wrong choice unlike the remaining 99% of my classmates!

willnotbackHSMP

Post by willnotbackHSMP » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:25 am

page 12:

"Apply these changes to those entering the points-based system from April 2011."

T-2 visa is given for 3 years at initial stage , then the T-2 visa holder have to apply again for another 2 years with COS ..does it not fall in new entry in T-2 category again ?

ddb

Post by ddb » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:29 am

Sheffield_Marketeer wrote:Will people who move from PSW to Tier 2 come under this ban is what I am asking.
If the proposals become enforced, then the answer's yes.

P/S it's not necessarily a proposed 'ban' but proposed 'rule changes'.

nsunkada
Newly Registered

Settlement changes for tier 1 general

Post by nsunkada » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:00 am

I walked through the consultation yesterday and cant find if tier 1 general is classed as permanent or temporary. I guess current Tier 1 guys are excluded in consultation and their settlement will be as planned before. Or maybe becz of previous judgement they cannot apply new rules retrospectively. Also does anyone know when they will implement rules once consultation is closed?

Cheers