ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success! Croydon PEO Office - Calculating Absences

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Telemachus
Newly Registered

ILR Success! Croydon PEO Office - Calculating Absences

Post by Telemachus » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Hello all.

I've been a quiet lurker on this forum for years now, and have benefited significantly from information people have shared of their own experiences with Tier 1 and ILR applications - so thought I should share with you my own successful experiences at the Croydon office last week.

I applied for ILR for myself and my partner, and applied under the HSMP Judicial Review policy - having been granted an HSMP visa in June 2006. The terms of that policy required that my ILR application be assessed under the rules in place for ILR settlement in 2006 - so no need for me to complete Point Scoring sections of the revised ILR application process, and no need for me or my partner to complete a Life In The UK Test. I did however have to complete a full five years of residence in the UK.

This should have resulted in a very simple application - but over the years I'd tallied up a large number of absences from the UK, and the majority of them holiday and not work absences. Counting whole days absent from the UK (and excluding days of travel) I'd clocked up 163 days, which is well within the limit of 180 days. But despite the assurances on some parts of this forum, I'd heard that UKBA caseworkers had on occasion counted travel days as days absent - which would have put me over the limit.

I called the UKBA's Helpline twice to get clarification on this - and had been assured both times that days of travel were to be excluded. I wanted the assurance in email form, so I could print it and produce it at my PEO appointment if I was unlucky enough to land a caseworker who had a different interpretation. But the email I received back from the UKBA advised me - unexpectedly - that BOTH days leaving and days returning to the UK would be counted as absences. So I made do with my own filenotes from UKBA phone helplines and hoped would not be raised as an issue.

On this point - the calculation should logically be whole days absent, excluding travel days - this is the method of calculation used for Naturalisation and stated very unambiguously in the Naturalisation Guidance Booklet, and is also the method of calculation used by HMRC for determining tax residence. But it had become very clear to me that the UKBA does not have a consistent approach on this issue - it's wholly down to the discretion of individual caseworkers. The best I could gather on this issue is that the discretion is likely to swing in favour of an approval if absences are clearly within annual leave limits - so I had my employer prepare a letter to confirm that all holidays taken since I'd commenced work with them in 2006 had been consistent with my annual leave entitlement.

I was also missing a number of entry and exit stamps in my passport - and while I was confident I'd recorded the dates correctly (I've kept a Travel Log diligently over last five years) for those particular dates the best I'd been able to find to substantiate my own Travel Log dates was E-Tickets, and for a couple of dates only an email confirmation of hotel bookings.

Anyway, despite my concerns about this potential issue the application was successful and no issues were raised about my method of calculating absences.

Here's a blow-by-blow account:

Appointment was booked for 9am in the morning. (I highly recommend a start of day appointment rather than an afternoon one - by the time I left at midday the waiting hall at Croydon was full to the hilt and looked to be a very long queue of applicants waiting to be seen.)

We cleared security - and were surprised that we were allowed to keep our bags. (We'd been to the Cardiff office when renewing out Tier 1 visas, and all possessions had to be left a reception, which made for a dreary and foot-tapping period of waiting).

Our first UKBA Clerk checked through my form and queried a couple of points, then gave us a ticket stub. We paid upstairs - momentary twinge of anxiety as I punched in my pin for the £2025 debit underneath the "no refund" sign.

We took our seats in the very vast and very bleak waiting area, in plastic bucket seats facing a long row of glass counters and waiting for the curtains to be rolled up as caseworkers arrived for their first appointments. (I was surprised by the lack of privacy here - all caseworker/applicant conversations are completely audible to everyone else. I'd been expecting cubicles or something a little more discreet.)

We were called up at 9.30 - half an hour after our appointment time. Our caseworker was lovely, which was a relief. She asked for my SET(O) form, passports and photos. I'd prepared a covering letter setting out all my HMSP and Tier 1 visa dates and listing all documents I'd brought with me for reference, but she put it to the side without even glancing at it.

She asked me for the following documents:

- Ticket number and payment receipt
- Employer Letter
- Last 3 month payslips

I had a gigantic pile of additional supporting documents - P60s/45s, 5 years worth of payslips and bank statements, employer's ref for work absences, proof of co-habitation for my partner and me - and I did offer these up, but she told us they were not needed.

After 15 minutes of reviewing documents, she began checking through my passport pages and entering dates into her computer screen. I interrupted to offer her a separate travel log I'd prepared with details of each passport stamp and E-tickets print outs, but she told us they were not necessary.

After another 10 minutes she asked us to move back to the waiting area. She waved us back to her desk 15 minutes later to ask for bank statements from the last 3 months, which I handed over. I also offered photocopies of documents I'd prepared, and she took them.

After another half an hour of waiting she called us back and told us that the application was approved. She said, which I thought was odd, that it was approved "on the basis of your work", but it hardly mattered - I was gushing thankyous and beaming relief.

She told us that our passports would be stamped with a visa and we should collect them from the customer service desk in an hour. We left the building and grabbed a coffee while we waited - then returned and collected them within five minutes.

All in all - the PEO process at Croydon was very simple, quite fast and quite cheerful (owing to the good nature of our caseworker). I'd recommend it over a postal application, if you can afford the increase in fees.

Thanks to all for their posts here over the years - Tier 1 and ILR, which have all been very useful.

Best of luck with your own applications!

paulmu

Post by paulmu » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks for sharing!

I'm somewhat surprised that you were asked for an employer letter given that you were on HSMP+T1?

The comment by the CW concerning the reason for granting you ILR - something about your work - seems obtuse. Any reason why she said that?
PM

nehalbhagat

Re

Post by nehalbhagat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Many Congratulations for your success.
Please can you specify which option you ticked in Section B.
Are you able to provide your covering letter ? You can PM me.
Please provide list of proof of co-habitation.

Many Thanks

jager

Re: ILR Success! Croydon PEO Office - Calculating Absences

Post by jager » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Telemachus wrote:But the email I received back from the UKBA advised me - unexpectedly - that BOTH days leaving and days returning to the UK would be counted as absences. So I made do with my own filenotes from UKBA phone helplines and hoped would not be raised as an issue.
I have no confidence that those who answer the emails are experienced or senior enough to answer such questions.

It would be fascinating to see the training caseworkers receive on the absences issue before they are let loose on ILR applicants.

monsoon
Newly Registered

Post by monsoon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Congratulations!

i have almost the same situation as yours - exceeding the 180 days absences in the UK if they will be including both the dates of departure and arrival.

my friend called the home office helpline and was told that both dates should be included when calculating. after a few minutes, i called them as well and was informed that she cannot give me an answer because they do not have a guideline about it and it all depends on the discretion of the caseworker handling my application. i also saw the guideline that you mentioned which didn't assure me much as it is for naturalisation.

i will be applying for ILR in the next few weeks and will keep in mind to ask re: their calculation method and if it really depends on the discretion of the caseworker.

again, congratulations!

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:46 pm

As per the latest guidelines on calculating continuous stay in the UK, it clearly states the below

Calculation of the five year period for settlement
When assessing if an applicant has met the criteria for five years continuous residence in the UK, short absences abroad may be disregarded, provided the applicant has clearly continued to be based in the UK. For example:
• holidays (consistent with annual paid leave), or
• business trips (consistent with maintaining employment or self-employment in the UK)

So if your absences are due to the above and you can clearly prove that you continued to be based here while absent then there should really not be an issue if you are slightly over the limit.
I am 192 days which includes 30 days on business trips and 127 on annual leave and with sufficient documentation/evidence to show I was ordinarily resident in the UK when absent - will know soon enough if it so!!!

KP

sun_ksh

Post by sun_ksh » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:48 pm

For me,

I was out of UK for 120 days in first two years of stay - 5 times went to India (30+20+20+10+40). These were not business visits but holidays to India.

Thereafter i took 40 days holidays in 2.5 years.

total 160 days.

Will 120 days in 1st two year be concern? i was working as salaried employer and Had 25 working days annual leave. Some of these 120 day leave were without pay.

pl advise

thanks

akash08

Post by akash08 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:03 pm

very interesting topic..

163 days excluding the date of travels and more than 180 counting them.. how?

When you leave UK, there is no exit stamp..none records you are leaving UK.. so the only proof of you laving UK would be your arrival stamp in the other country which would be generally the next day. (assuming going to east). There is noway to prove whether you started on the same day or previous day and hence the day you left UK, can never be counted.

So, at the worst case they can count your date of arrival in UK as the day of absence (which I am almost dead sure none would but still) and that would mean you made more than (180-163)=17 visits.. Is that true?

AntCoe

Post by AntCoe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:37 am

@ sun_ksh

just as long as your absences were no more than 90 days continuous.

hariff_m
Newly Registered

Re: ILR Success! Croydon PEO Office - Calculating Absences

Post by hariff_m » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:15 am

Telemachus wrote:Hello all.

I've been a quiet lurker on this forum for years now, and have benefited significantly from information people have shared of their own experiences with Tier 1 and ILR applications - so thought I should share with you my own successful experiences at the Croydon office last week.

I applied for ILR for myself and my partner, and applied under the HSMP Judicial Review policy - having been granted an HSMP visa in June 2006. The terms of that policy required that my ILR application be assessed under the rules in place for ILR settlement in 2006 - so no need for me to complete Point Scoring sections of the revised ILR application process, and no need for me or my partner to complete a Life In The UK Test. I did however have to complete a full five years of residence in the UK.

This should have resulted in a very simple application - but over the years I'd tallied up a large number of absences from the UK, and the majority of them holiday and not work absences. Counting whole days absent from the UK (and excluding days of travel) I'd clocked up 163 days, which is well within the limit of 180 days. But despite the assurances on some parts of this forum, I'd heard that UKBA caseworkers had on occasion counted travel days as days absent - which would have put me over the limit.

I called the UKBA's Helpline twice to get clarification on this - and had been assured both times that days of travel were to be excluded. I wanted the assurance in email form, so I could print it and produce it at my PEO appointment if I was unlucky enough to land a caseworker who had a different interpretation. But the email I received back from the UKBA advised me - unexpectedly - that BOTH days leaving and days returning to the UK would be counted as absences. So I made do with my own filenotes from UKBA phone helplines and hoped would not be raised as an issue.

On this point - the calculation should logically be whole days absent, excluding travel days - this is the method of calculation used for Naturalisation and stated very unambiguously in the Naturalisation Guidance Booklet, and is also the method of calculation used by HMRC for determining tax residence. But it had become very clear to me that the UKBA does not have a consistent approach on this issue - it's wholly down to the discretion of individual caseworkers. The best I could gather on this issue is that the discretion is likely to swing in favour of an approval if absences are clearly within annual leave limits - so I had my employer prepare a letter to confirm that all holidays taken since I'd commenced work with them in 2006 had been consistent with my annual leave entitlement.

I was also missing a number of entry and exit stamps in my passport - and while I was confident I'd recorded the dates correctly (I've kept a Travel Log diligently over last five years) for those particular dates the best I'd been able to find to substantiate my own Travel Log dates was E-Tickets, and for a couple of dates only an email confirmation of hotel bookings.

Anyway, despite my concerns about this potential issue the application was successful and no issues were raised about my method of calculating absences.

Here's a blow-by-blow account:

Appointment was booked for 9am in the morning. (I highly recommend a start of day appointment rather than an afternoon one - by the time I left at midday the waiting hall at Croydon was full to the hilt and looked to be a very long queue of applicants waiting to be seen.)

We cleared security - and were surprised that we were allowed to keep our bags. (We'd been to the Cardiff office when renewing out Tier 1 visas, and all possessions had to be left a reception, which made for a dreary and foot-tapping period of waiting).

Our first UKBA Clerk checked through my form and queried a couple of points, then gave us a ticket stub. We paid upstairs - momentary twinge of anxiety as I punched in my pin for the £2025 debit underneath the "no refund" sign.

We took our seats in the very vast and very bleak waiting area, in plastic bucket seats facing a long row of glass counters and waiting for the curtains to be rolled up as caseworkers arrived for their first appointments. (I was surprised by the lack of privacy here - all caseworker/applicant conversations are completely audible to everyone else. I'd been expecting cubicles or something a little more discreet.)

We were called up at 9.30 - half an hour after our appointment time. Our caseworker was lovely, which was a relief. She asked for my SET(O) form, passports and photos. I'd prepared a covering letter setting out all my HMSP and Tier 1 visa dates and listing all documents I'd brought with me for reference, but she put it to the side without even glancing at it.

She asked me for the following documents:

- Ticket number and payment receipt
- Employer Letter
- Last 3 month payslips

I had a gigantic pile of additional supporting documents - P60s/45s, 5 years worth of payslips and bank statements, employer's ref for work absences, proof of co-habitation for my partner and me - and I did offer these up, but she told us they were not needed.

After 15 minutes of reviewing documents, she began checking through my passport pages and entering dates into her computer screen. I interrupted to offer her a separate travel log I'd prepared with details of each passport stamp and E-tickets print outs, but she told us they were not necessary.

After another 10 minutes she asked us to move back to the waiting area. She waved us back to her desk 15 minutes later to ask for bank statements from the last 3 months, which I handed over. I also offered photocopies of documents I'd prepared, and she took them.

After another half an hour of waiting she called us back and told us that the application was approved. She said, which I thought was odd, that it was approved "on the basis of your work", but it hardly mattered - I was gushing thankyous and beaming relief.

She told us that our passports would be stamped with a visa and we should collect them from the customer service desk in an hour. We left the building and grabbed a coffee while we waited - then returned and collected them within five minutes.

All in all - the PEO process at Croydon was very simple, quite fast and quite cheerful (owing to the good nature of our caseworker). I'd recommend it over a postal application, if you can afford the increase in fees.

Thanks to all for their posts here over the years - Tier 1 and ILR, which have all been very useful.

Best of luck with your own applications!
Telemachus,

First off, congrats to you and your family.

My question is how much early did you call the HO to book your appointment. Would a month in advance be good enough. I'm applying in September.

Hariff

sherkhan297

Post by sherkhan297 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Congrats!!

I am exactly at 180 days within the 5 years and this is excluding the travel days, which is a bit worrying if travel days are counted.

It is quite strange/absurd if they say that we need to count the travel days as absences..
I am quite certain there were many posts on this site which said/confirmed that the days of travel are not counted which is most logical.

My reasoning is that If you land at 1am in the morning back in the UK and are in UK the entire day from then on, how can it be counted as an absence? and also if you leave the UK at 7-9pm at night , how can that travel day be counted as an absence when you have clearly spent most of the day IN the UK.

As you mention I guess even the caseworkers dont have a clear idea about this. There are quite a few people who are not very sure and dont bother to check with their Home office Colleagues before responding I would think..

sherkhan297

Post by sherkhan297 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Sorry.. also wanted to ask.. why did you need an employer letter, thought that was not required for Tier 1? or was this just a standard letter stating your employement and not a letter stating that you are still required by the employer to stay in the UK?

sun_ksh

Post by sun_ksh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:56 pm

AntCoe

thanks for clarification