ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success @ Croydon - Tier 1 + Dependant, Set (O) - 160611

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kenfrapin

ILR Success @ Croydon - Tier 1 + Dependant, Set (O) - 160611

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi All,

Finally after a last few days of unwanted anxiety, everything went well and we were granted ILR. Thanks for the advice and answers to all my questions over the last month or two, they have been helpful

I - My application
I applied for self and my wife having worked on 3 WPs over 3 years and the last 2 years on Tier 1 General granted in March 2009 but dated April 12 2009. Also changed employers in Jan this year

II - Issues with my application
1. The biggest one was the 195 days out over 5 years but no 90 days consecutive at any time. Of these 30 days were due to business trips and only 38 days when unemployed during job change. However, I carried ample proof to validate my claim
2. A fine of £60 in July 2008 speeding on International license, which I did not receive in the post and did not pay. Resulted in the court making me pay £100. I however got the CRB check done and the report clearly stating I have no unspent convictions. Note - I did not declare this in the application on basis of this CRB Check

III - At Croydon
1. Our appointment was at 1115 and arrived by 1030. We were let straight in, guard at front only asked the appointment time. Sat for 2 mins and then went through security check
2. Once done, as we queued, a lady asked us why were there and if it was a Premium application. Said yes, she then asked to see if we used the latest Set O and I replied yes its the 05/11 form and she was happy. Also asked for Appointment Ref number which was not on the appointment printout so she asked if we got an SMS which we did. So I had to go through that SMS and write the reference number
3. We were told to go straight through and wait to make payment. At the counter, another lady officer asked to see our form and passport. She then asked if we had the LIUK pass papers and proof of income over 12 months and I said yes. We paid and proceeded to the 1st floor
4. And then we sat down and waited. 1115 came and went and we finally met the assessing officer around 1230

This was where the fun began - At Croydon, the officer will review the case with you seated and present. Papers are not collected and sent to another case officer - the initial meeting is with the case officer itself.

So then, this is how it transpired

1. He first asked for forms and passport - handed it over
2. Asked if we put all days absent on the form and I said space was not enough so gave additional sheet. Told him its 195 but have ample proof I was employed and 32 days were on business. He took what I had
3. Then asked for earnings and I provided 12 months statements, eP60 and HRMC which he did not want
4. Asked for 1 proof over last 2 years so just 2 papers for cohabitation - I just gave him about 6 papers
5. He then asked for previous employer letter which I gave. Also asked if I had current employment letter said yes and then asked last 3 payslips to which I said I only have bank statements - No problemo he was happy

Then he told us to sit and that it would take about 40mins. This person was completely messy, did not go step by step covering each point, all our papers were spread all over his table and he had a blank look. My only worry was the days out but then he invented something new. As I changed my jobs during the 12 months I claimed points for, he was confused with my pay. The eP60 said one thing but my current employer said another. I tried to explain to him thats because I worked for 2 employers last year so obviously eP60 earnings will be different from my current employer's letter stating my salary

Anyway, he sorted it out himself. Went through our papers twice over, did some calculations and also referred to the employer letter confirming absences. In between, forgot he took our LIUK papers and asked us again if we got it! This happened after he had told us our scores. After some more messy hunting around, he found it himself.
Finally, he kept originals of previous employment letter, current employer reference and the absences letter. He asked me to provide a few copies for points 3,4 and 5 above. For cohabitation he just took the tenancy agreement and BT bill, rest he gave back. He also keot a council letter from 2008 which I think he used to validate my days out was on annual leave

Then from nowhere he said - It's all done, I will send the passports for stamping and you guys can come back in 30 to 45mins - better go have a nice coffee and come back!
It was then I realized he was one of the senior officers there - our final pile of papers were hardly anything. He clearly took exactly what was required and wanted nothing more. I saw other officers taking more than required but this is my assumption only. From what I have read here, this officer hardly took 10 documents in total for us.
The process was over by 1pm so took 45mins in total and we got our passports back at 1:45pm

--EDIT--

What I learnt from my case and observing many others around
1. Organize yourself as best as possible and dont carry a messy pile to the officer
2. Carry as many papers as you want but keep it hidden and provide only when and if asked. It's good to keep the papers you put in front of the officer to a bare minimum. We saw a couple who took 3 BAGS of papers and put it in front of the officer and as they were asked, they took papers out of the bags which were individually out in plastic folders!!!!
3. If your dependant has previously always been a dependant for earlier applications then they only ask for 2 proofs - tenancy/mortgage papers being the best followed by a Council letter/bill and then a utility bill
4. Make sure you have the SMS reminder from UKBA handy as the appointment reference is only mentioned in the SMS and not on the actual printout you take.
5. DO NOT declare a conviction if it is spent. An earlier member clearly decided it was best to declare but it was very confusing to the assessing officer and they had no choice but to refer it. This is a waste of premium application fees as it goes into the normal pot of postal applications. If in any doubt, get the CRB check done through listed agencies, does not cost more than £50, and if the basic check clears you then you have NO Criminal Convictions to declare.

Thanks again and if any questions, you can be assured a reply
KP

niceman
BANNED

Post by niceman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:31 pm

congats ...
could you please answer me if you FPn exists on your counterpart of your driving licence or it was before 4 years ?
also could you please tell me if you have answered question 7.1 yes or no ? ...

thanks and congats again

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:11 am

I did not get any FPN on a counterpart as I was driving on International license and my case was referred by DVLA to the court because they dont have processes to deal with international drivers.

Section 7.1 clearly asks if we have any Criminal Convictions with a foot note that says spent convictions need not be declared. On the basis of the CRB check, I said No to avoid any confusion as I was certain I did not have any active criminal convictions

KP

vinaya

Post by vinaya » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:40 am

KP, Please let me know the process involving CRB checks and the way to go abt it, I am planning to apply for one.

Thanks in anticipation.

Struggler

Post by Struggler » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:02 am

Visit the "Disclosure Scotland" website and apply for Basic Disclosure (this is the only disclosure possible for individuals).

You will need to provide them with all your details including addresses for the last 5 years and utility bills etc...

It costs £25

Struggler

Post by Struggler » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:06 am

KP - you mentioned in one of your posts that you had requested Disclosure Scotland for extra bits to be 100% sure that you did not have any unspent conviction. Please could you let me know exactly what you requested?

Many thanks

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:10 am

Its a very simple process. There are many companies who can do the CRB check on your behalf - remember you cannot request one from the govt directly yourself, its only potential employers who can request for one.

However, a provision has been made to allow anyone to get themselves checked and the way is to approach these companies. You can approach http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/

Here is the official link for information and contact numbers
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... /DG_195811

It takes about 3 to 4 weeks in total depending on when you submit the completed form

KP

niceman
BANNED

Post by niceman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 am

thanks for your answer ... but now it is clear .. you have not got any FPN on your driving licence .. but what if I have one FPN .. what shall I answer the question 7.1 ?
please notice that they said criminal convctions including traffice offences .. I'm aware that one FPN won't the application but still I dont know what to answer it !!!

Venk_it

Post by Venk_it » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:57 am

Hi Mate,
Congrats first and I know you had a great sigh of relief!!

You said you changed two employers on Work Permits. Did he ask for all the P60's for last 5 years or just the employee letters.

Regards,
Venkat

blay1

Post by blay1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:26 pm

niceman wrote:thanks for your answer ... but now it is clear .. you have not got any FPN on your driving licence .. but what if I have one FPN .. what shall I answer the question 7.1 ?
please notice that they said criminal convctions including traffice offences .. I'm aware that one FPN won't the application but still I dont know what to answer it !!!
Getting FPN is not a criminal offence so your answer is NO. I did my ILR last week and had 3points on my licence as FPN did not declare it and everything was fine.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Venk_it wrote:Hi Mate,
Congrats first and I know you had a great sigh of relief!!

You said you changed two employers on Work Permits. Did he ask for all the P60's for last 5 years or just the employee letters.

Regards,
Venkat
No, I changed employment ONCE and that too when on Tier 1. However, all 5 P60s were asked for me and most others. In some cases they dont, but as per latest requirements, P60 is the way to show you met conditions of your Work Permit over the last 5 years. If no P60, then employer letter confirming you are working/worked with them with salary details should also help.
There is nothing better than all P60s. Second to that is the Statement of Earnings from HMRC. Just call the Tax office and ask for them to send it to you. Third option is bank statements showing salary paid for 5 years and thats a minimum of 60 pages but not an ideal option to show as proof.

KP

sherkhan297

Post by sherkhan297 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Congrats!!

I am at 180 days within the 5 years (Excluding travel days) , however this includes 105 days business trip which is over the 90 limit.. were you asked about this? (I know you didnt have 90 days at a stretch but did they query?).

I will have an employer letter stating the absence hence hope that this helps in the application..any thoughts regarding this situation... anyone?

Thanks

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:23 pm

sherkhan297 wrote:Congrats!!

I am at 180 days within the 5 years (Excluding travel days) , however this includes 105 days business trip which is over the 90 limit.. were you asked about this? (I know you didnt have 90 days at a stretch but did they query?).

I will have an employer letter stating the absence hence hope that this helps in the application..any thoughts regarding this situation... anyone?

Thanks
I was not asked specifically if I had any continuous absence of 90 days but from previous posts, I am sure that they ask this in 99% of the cases. As I said, our case worker really seemed satisfied with our application before going through documentation in detail as it was straightforward except for the few days over issue.
There have been success stories if 90 days was for business but it will help your case to carry additional proof that you were ordinarily resident in the UK during that time. Bank statements showing you paid towards utilities or rent, council letter stating you were responsible for council tax during the period and tenancy/mortgage papers will all help bolster your case

KP

sudhirkr9
Newly Registered

Re: ILR Success @ Croydon - Tier 1 + Dependant, Set (O) - 16

Post by sudhirkr9 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:37 pm

kenfrapin wrote:Hi All,

Finally after a last few days of unwanted anxiety, everything went well and we were granted ILR. Thanks for the advice and answers to all my questions over the last month or two, they have been helpful

I - My application
I applied for self and my wife having worked on 3 WPs over 3 years and the last 2 years on Tier 1 General granted in March 2009 but dated April 12 2009. Also changed employers in Jan this year

II - Issues with my application
1. The biggest one was the 195 days out over 5 years but no 90 days consecutive at any time. Of these 30 days were due to business trips and only 38 days when unemployed during job change. However, I carried ample proof to validate my claim
2. A fine of £60 in July 2008 speeding on International license, which I did not receive in the post and did not pay. Resulted in the court making me pay £100. I however got the CRB check done and the report clearly stating I have no unspent convictions. Note - I did not declare this in the application on basis of this CRB Check

III - At Croydon
1. Our appointment was at 1115 and arrived by 1030. We were let straight in, guard at front only asked the appointment time. Sat for 2 mins and then went through security check
2. Once done, as we queued, a lady asked us why were there and if it was a Premium application. Said yes, she then asked to see if we used the latest Set O and I replied yes its the 05/11 form and she was happy. Also asked for Appointment Ref number which was not on the appointment printout so she asked if we got an SMS which we did. So I had to go through that SMS and write the reference number
3. We were told to go straight through and wait to make payment. At the counter, another lady officer asked to see our form and passport. She then asked if we had the LIUK pass papers and proof of income over 12 months and I said yes. We paid and proceeded to the 1st floor
4. And then we sat down and waited. 1115 came and went and we finally met the assessing officer around 1230

This was where the fun began - At Croydon, the officer will review the case with you seated and present. Papers are not collected and sent to another case officer - the initial meeting is with the case officer itself.

So then, this is how it transpired

1. He first asked for forms and passport - handed it over
2. Asked if we put all days absent on the form and I said space was not enough so gave additional sheet. Told him its 195 but have ample proof I was employed and 32 days were on business. He took what I had
3. Then asked for earnings and I provided 12 months statements, eP60 and HRMC which he did not want
4. Asked for 1 proof over last 2 years so just 2 papers for cohabitation - I just gave him about 6 papers
5. He then asked for previous employer letter which I gave. Also asked if I had current employment letter said yes and then asked last 3 payslips to which I said I only have bank statements - No problemo he was happy

Then he told us to sit and that it would take about 40mins. This person was completely messy, did not go step by step covering each point, all our papers were spread all over his table and he had a blank look. My only worry was the days out but then he invented something new. As I changed my jobs during the 12 months I claimed points for, he was confused with my pay. The eP60 said one thing but my current employer said another. I tried to explain to him thats because I worked for 2 employers last year so obviously eP60 earnings will be different from my current employer's letter stating my salary

Anyway, he sorted it out himself. Went through our papers twice over, did some calculations and also referred to the employer letter confirming absences. In between, forgot he took our LIUK papers and asked us again if we got it! This happened after he had told us our scores. After some more messy hunting around, he found it himself.
Finally, he kept originals of previous employment letter, current employer reference and the absences letter. He asked me to provide a few copies for points 3,4 and 5 above. For cohabitation he just took the tenancy agreement and BT bill, rest he gave back. He also keot a council letter from 2008 which I think he used to validate my days out was on annual leave

Then from nowhere he said - It's all done, I will send the passports for stamping and you guys can come back in 30 to 45mins - better go have a nice coffee and come back!
It was then I realized he was one of the senior officers there - our final pile of papers were hardly anything. He clearly took exactly what was required and wanted nothing more. I saw other officers taking more than required but this is my assumption only. From what I have read here, this officer hardly took 10 documents in total for us.
The process was over by 1pm so took 45mins in total and we got our passports back at 1:45pm

--EDIT--

What I learnt from my case and observing many others around
1. Organize yourself as best as possible and dont carry a messy pile to the officer
2. Carry as many papers as you want but keep it hidden and provide only when and if asked. It's good to keep the papers you put in front of the officer to a bare minimum. We saw a couple who took 3 BAGS of papers and put it in front of the officer and as they were asked, they took papers out of the bags which were individually out in plastic folders!!!!
3. If your dependant has previously always been a dependant for earlier applications then they only ask for 2 proofs - tenancy/mortgage papers being the best followed by a Council letter/bill and then a utility bill
4. Make sure you have the SMS reminder from UKBA handy as the appointment reference is only mentioned in the SMS and not on the actual printout you take.
5. DO NOT declare a conviction if it is spent. An earlier member clearly decided it was best to declare but it was very confusing to the assessing officer and they had no choice but to refer it. This is a waste of premium application fees as it goes into the normal pot of postal applications. If in any doubt, get the CRB check done through listed agencies, does not cost more than £50, and if the basic check clears you then you have NO Criminal Convictions to declare.

Thanks again and if any questions, you can be assured a reply
KP
Hi Thanks for the above and congrats

My case is also same where in i had a speeding offence on my international indian license and court asked me to pay the fine and they said that once you get the actual UK license it will carried over. This happened in Mar 2008.

Should i declare this?

The problem for me to do a CRB check is it takes 3-4 weeks and i need to go to india as my mom is not feeling well urgently asap once the ILR is done.

I am going to ILR on 27 June.

Kindly tell should i declare or not decalre and if they ask i can tell them that this happened and i didnt declare it because it was not a criminal conviction.